A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: berroco's dizzy  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2008 10:29:32 AM »

i'm working on berroco's dizzy and i can't seem to get my hat to look like the one on the mannequin on the site:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/dizzy/dizzy.html
nor the pretty ones on ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dizzy-2/people

the part of the pattern that's giving me the most trouble is as follows:
* K6, SSK, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, rep from * until piece measures approximately 5 1/2 from beg.

my question is: if there are two yarn overs, won't that produce two holes along the swirl part of the hat? that's what happened when i attempted this recently... Smiley i went on to knittinghelp.com and i'm doing the decreases properly...

i don't get it. please help!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008 02:19:14 PM »

Looking at the pattern, you're supposed to remove the end-of-round marker and just keep going until it's the right length to start decreasing.  You should have two yarnovers separated by a knit stitch, with the two decreases compensating for it.

It looks as though because there are more stitches in the repeat than on the needles, the pattern will keep shifting the YOs over a few stitches so they form a spiral.  How many repeats did you do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008 04:10:49 PM »

If the pattern calls for YOs then it does make holes even if the picture doesn't show them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Tephra
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008 08:31:30 PM »

I started this hat just to see how it works. There are two holes from the yarn overs, but the second one tends to disappear into the stockinette bands. Once you know what to look for you can see them here and there in the close up of the back of the hat in the pattern. I'm thinking that once I'm done knitting and stretch this hat out the second holes will tighten up and they'll be hard to spot.

Whether or not this hat will fit me is something else, I might have to give it to a friend with a smaller head.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008 03:41:09 PM »

thank you for your help!
i did about five rows of the lace pattern part, and another reason i stopped and frogged back was because i thought i might have dropped a stitch as well... it just wasn't looking quite right. i'll attempt again soon!
the advice about the YOs was helpful too. didn't think that it might just stretch out once it's done. i noticed the size of the hat was kind of small as well... Smiley i tried on the band when i frogged back to that point and it seemed like it was going to fit well, even though i have a slightly larger than normal head. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008 09:14:11 AM »

I have a large skull too so I doubt this is going to fit me. But, since I'm doing it on two circs I can try it on, and it will fit and doesn't seem to want to creep up, so maybe.... I might have to make it longer to compensate for the extra stretching, I'll know when I get more done.

If it doesn't fit I'll give it away and make another. The pattern requires a multiple of 11 + 2 so I could always try it again with 101 stitches rather than 90.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fry Chicken
How to Bake Chicken
How to Make a Basic Chicken Rub
How to Make a Basic Chicken Marinade
How to Cut Apart a Full Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...