A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,401
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simply Marilyn  (Read 6308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymodster
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005 01:23:21 PM »

Wowwee!  THAT is simply gorgeous.  Your sweater turned out beautiful.  Great...just what I need....more inspiration.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
elizacrandall
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005 02:41:11 PM »

I've been knitting since the summer of 2002.  I used Cascade 128, a bulky version of 220, which I found at my LYS.  Mairlyn fits well.  The only problem I've had with has been the length of the sleeves.  I have a really long torso and long arms, so I made the small size in width and followed the larger sizes for the length; everything fits well except the sleeves are still about a 1/2 inch too short. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005 03:04:06 PM »

beautiful work.  It's nice to get a yarn recommendation for this sweater other than the Cashmerino chunky, since it's soooo expensive!  glad to hear it fits well - i was a little doubtful about that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
mochisaru
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005 10:20:24 AM »

i love it! it's that sweater that made me get more serious about my knitting. also ditto on the thanks for the yarn recomendation, cuz i've heard some bad things about the cashmerino(doesn't hold up, etc.). how hard were the cables? how long did the sweater take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cruise through your day the iron rice way!
elizacrandall
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005 02:44:59 PM »

Thank you for the compliments!
The cables are not hard.  I had not done much work with cables prior to making this sweater, mainly just swatching and practice. 
I chose this as my winter break project.  I bought the yarn during the last week of December, after finishing all my holiday gifts, and finished seaming the sweater on January 9th.  It came together so quickly because the yarn is bulky and knit on large needles.  It was a ton of fun to knit!
Here's a photo of it on that was taken at the local Stitch 'n Bitch...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
veronique
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005 10:03:14 AM »

Beautiful sweater Eliza!  I made Marilyn last Spring, using Rowan Polar, and I had major issues with the pattern.  I made the sweater longer (I thought it looked very short on the model).  Also, from the picture, it looks like it's been pinned back?  So I made it narrower.  Then, I didn't like the horseshoe crab cable, so I made a braid cable.  You'd think with all that tinkering I'd finally be happy, right?  Well....  The sleeves are too short, and the collar is H-U-G-E (it's stretched out since I took that picture).  So huge that a male friend of mine asked me if it's a hood!  Now you're probably thinking my sweater looks terrible, but I actually like it!  Here's proof

The colors are all wrong, so here's another pic:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mojisha
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005 10:32:52 AM »

Veronique, I think your Marilyn is beautiful!  Now I want to make on in kinda a brickish red like yours appears in the first photo.  But I love the purple, too!

Eliza yours is gorgeous!  The white looks lovely on you.

I'm thinking that, at 5'1" I wouldn't really have to lengthen much the sleeves much (probably would lengthen the torso because it does look short in the pattern).  What you y'all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
lucytortilla
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005 10:35:07 AM »

I'm speechless.That is a timeless style and you did a beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tresa
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005 03:24:40 PM »

I think you both did a fantastic job. My first thought when I saw that model was that she wasn't busty enough for the size they made. Like they made it for a Marilyn and then got an Audrey to wear it. That probably explains why it looks so good on veronique after she narrowed it down and so funny on the model. Good to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodkarma
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005 11:02:30 PM »

These are both SO MUCH prettier than the original, which does not fit the model at all. You guys rock!

So, ladies, I have a question about fit. Can you tell me if the final sweater measures about the same as your actual bust measurement, or did you add in some ease?

Spanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Beauty Tips and Trends for Prom
One-Stop Shop for the Best in Beauty
Burgundy Eyes and Lips Tutorial
Allover Bronzer Tips
Megan Moore on Your Makeup Must Haves
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...