A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trifold wallet w/money pocket (**pic morbidly obese!**)  (Read 3042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Laughing Cat
« on: January 23, 2008 08:59:44 PM »

Okay, I'm really proud of this one. Wink I saw the babyangel tutorial (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=212483.0) and thought that her wallet was the cutest thing ever... but I wanted a wallet with a money pocket and I needed many, many credit card pockets. I'm also in love with expandable change pockets at the moment, so I decided I wanted that instead of the change pocket she's made on the inside. I made this as a prototype, so the stitching's messy and there are lots of things I want to change for the final version. Thanks for the tute, babyangel!

(PS--beware the thousands of pictures!)

This looks like a normal babyangel wallet...

But wait, what's this on the other side?!

It opens and expands!

And eats my coins...

Oh, wait, this opens.

Let's see what's on the other side...

Wow, those are a lot of pockets! They fill up nicely, too.

But what's hiding under that snap?

It's cash! Does that mean there's a money pocket?

That's it for now. Grin

Some things I plan on changing: I want to use thinner interfacing on at least one side. No joke, the main interfacing (not the card pocket interfacing) I used is at least an eight of an inch thick. Maybe add triangular flaps of exterior fabric to the money pocket so that the interior fabric doesn't show and I don't need to sew through as much interfacing. (I broke my machine topstitching.) Topstitch the upper edges of the wallet before sewing closed if I don't use the flaps. Change the inner snap so it shows on top (easier to open that way). And finally, I'll try to make the interfacing on the change pocket smaller so that it can expand/contract more easily.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 09:31:11 PM by Laughing Cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 09:17:28 PM »

i'm definitely making one of those Wink

Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 09:25:10 PM »

you did and excellent job!
Youre so welcome for the inspirational push as well  Wink

Laughing Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 09:54:18 PM »

Thanks for the comments! I feel spoiled. Grin
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008 05:49:55 AM »

I really like the expandable change pocket, any tips on how to make it?

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

Laughing Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008 08:39:13 PM »

Okay, I'm going to be AFSW (away from sewing machine) for the next few months, so I hope that a verbal description helps... I'll try to make a drawn tutorial in a week or so.

What I did was cut out a window in thick interfacing where I wanted the pocket to be. Then I took another piece of interfacing (I don't remember if it was the cutout or a different piece) and trimmed it so that it was slightly smaller than the window on the bottom and sides, and short enough to fit a zipper on the top. Then I ironed fabric on to the main piece, cut the window, and folded the pieces back and trimmed, holding them down with fusible webbing. I also ironed on the same fabric to the smaller interfacing, but used enough fabric for there to be a couple of inches of overhang on two sides. If I would do this again, I would make it 4" overhang on three sides, so that I could trim and fold that piece in instead of making a separate accordion piece.

The zipper was the hardest part... it might be easier if you have a wallet in front of you when you do this, to see exactly what you're doing. Basically, if the zipper opens from left to right, you want to take the lower piece of the zipper and the smaller piece of interfacing, and sew the zipper onto the back so that the left end curls down into the interfacing and the right end is straight. The upper half of the zipper is sewn onto the top of the window on the larger interfacing normally.

What I did was I made an extra piece of fabric to act as an accordion pleat between the window and pocket. You can do that (make a tube) or if you have enough overhand, ignore this step.

Finally, I attached a piece of lining fabric to the inside of the smaller piece of interfacing, encasing the zipper. I made it with overhang on three sides and long enough so that I could double it back on itself to form a full lining. In this step, if you have the extra piece of fabric to act as accordion pleat, sew it in between the interfacing and lining. If you don't, sew the overhang lining and outer fabrics together along the top seam. Fold in like an accordion (I folded in an inch with my extra fabric) and iron, then stitch on the overhang just BELOW the smaller interfacing to secure it. (Don't worry, this will be hidden once you're done.)Cut in on the excess overhang to the side and just under the accordion fold until you are able to have the bottom overhang go down flatly and the side overhang stretch out to the side.

Now that you have the fabric and zipper sewn in, place the smaller interfacing in the window so that the outer fabric faces outwards and all of the overhang is on the wrong side of the larger interfacing. Fold the lining in half so that it completely covers the window, then stitch a box around everything and trim.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009 05:59:13 PM »

Hi - is it possible for you to post a tutorial for the expandable coin pocket?  I am new at this and would find it easier.  Thank you kindly!!

I make stylish and practical items for Babies and Mamas

My ETSY Shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/joshandteo
My BLOG:  http://handmadebyjt.blogspot.com/
My FACEBOOK PAGE:  http://www.facebook.com/joshandteo
My PINTEREST:  http://www.pinterest.com/joshandteo
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dan Goleman on "A Force For Good"
Chris Colfer on "The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms"
Brad Thor Discusses "Code of Conduct"
The Power of the Book
Barbecued Garlic Butter Shrimp
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...