A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,101
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decoupouged File Box / Yukata Fabric  (Read 1930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 08, 2008 01:27:12 PM »

For the Make A Friend Swap, I decided to decoupouge a wooden file box I found at Michael's for $3.99 with an assortment of Japanese yukata fabrics I have collected. I have never decoupouged anything in my life, not even in grade school. It was fun and I'm going to try it again!

I used the everyday Modge Podge to adhere the fabrics to the box. Then I used a layer of the sparkle Modge Podge. I wasn't too happy with the sparkle factor and tried to wipe it off (it doesn't come off, but my swap partner said she likes it sparkly, so no harm, no foul):

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/Kimby1_album/crafts/1swap2.jpg[/img]]

Here is an extreme close-up of some of the fabrics. Sorry for the glare; camera flash and sparkle Modge Podge do not mix. I used origami paper to separate the fabrics; sort of like leading on stained glass. I also found some koi stickers that I added:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/Kimby1_album/crafts/1swap3.jpg[/img]]

I painted the inside of the box with acrylic paints. I tried to match the indigo colour of the yukata fabrics without very much success, but I did like the resulting shade of blue:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/Kimby1_album/crafts/1swap13.jpg[/img]]

Here is a pic of the label I added to the bottom of the box, explaining the history of yukata for my swap partner. Only after I added the label did I realize I forgot to paint the bottom   Roll Eyes  :

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/Kimby1_album/crafts/1swap14.jpg[/img]]

I know you refrigerator-decoupouging masters out there could do better, but I think it turned out okay. I had some problems with air bubbles, esp. with the fabrics. I noticed bubbles after I finished with the label, but after it dried the air bubbles disappeared. Not so with the air bubbles in the fabric pieces. Any hints, tips, or tricks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
amkni
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008 01:35:26 PM »

That is SO beautiful.  I really love those fabrics... I think the sparkle makes it look very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008 02:12:50 PM »

Gorgeous!!! Your partner is definitely lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

I am so bored! Crafting boredom...HELP!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008 03:38:36 PM »

What a beautiful box!  I also use fabric to decoupage, and I find that if you wet the fabric first, that the bubbles seem to melt into the fabric. I have not seen the sparkly mod podge in action, but I love it!  I use gold paint to embellish so it would be nice to have glitter already in the mod podge!

Beautiful job and the origami embellishments are extra nice! The box almost looks like a quilt project and your mix of patterns and colors is just gorgeous!  Lucky partner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008 07:39:24 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful compliments! I had a lot of fun chopping up the fabric and gluing it on the box.

What a beautiful box!  I also use fabric to decoupage, and I find that if you wet the fabric first, that the bubbles seem to melt into the fabric. I have not seen the sparkly mod podge in action, but I love it!  I use gold paint to embellish so it would be nice to have glitter already in the mod podge!

Beautiful job and the origami embellishments are extra nice! The box almost looks like a quilt project and your mix of patterns and colors is just gorgeous!  Lucky partner!

Thank you for the tip on wetting fabric ... that makes sense. I bought another box to play with, and I'll try your technique. The origami strips were sort of last minute, but I liked the additional character they gave the box. I used the same yukata fabrics for a quilt I made, and I really like the indigo and white colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
HAREandDRUM

I heart decoupage!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008 02:47:11 PM »

Your project has made me think! I've wanted to decoupage with fabric but I haven't been brave enough. There are so many beautiful fabric designs out there - more than paper ones. Thank you for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find my handcrafted frames at www.hareanddrum.etsy.com
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008 10:15:55 AM »

Gorgeous!!! Your partner is definitely lucky!
Lucky partner!
Yes,  I am very lucky!!!!!! 

Kimby. keeps saying that it's too sparkly, but it's really not that bad.  When she mentioned it being sparkly before I recieved, I envisioned not being able to see anything but glitter.  It's actually kind of subtle.  It's a gorgeous box!!!!!Everyone is right to be jealous  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...