A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nursery (in progress) - pic heavy  (Read 4080 times)
Tags for this thread: nursery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MopTopStumptown
« on: March 08, 2008 10:39:23 AM »

Our first kiddo is due in early May and we're starting to pull a nursery together.  Since we don't know what sex the babe is, we're going with fun colors that we like: oranges, blues, greens, and white. 

Here's the mobile.  My friend cut circles out of some cheap wood and drilled tiny holes in them.  I painted with cheap acryllics and strung them up with fishing line.  The top loop is actually the inner ring of an embroidery hoop.  Total cost?  $6  Entirely inspired by a Martha Stewart thingy (but hers was just paper and yarn, I wanted something with longevity).

Here are the curtains.  Mom came up and helped me with these.  They were surprisingly easy... it was just the prep work that was tedious (wash, dry, iron, measure, cut, etc.).  Maybe $15?

Here are some picture frames I strung together.  They're just painted (same cheap acryllic from the mobile) mats that I had laying around. The openings are about 2" x 1.5". Very small.  But I thought it'd be nice for the kiddo to have some silly images of us around. This was pretty much free since I printed the pics here at home and had the mats laying around.

And now I'm stumped.  We plan on getting a rug (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107787) and some furniture, too.  But since it's a rental apartment we can't do anything fun like painting the walls.  Any ideas on how to lively up the room?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008 10:55:19 AM »

i love it!  maybe you can make some more wooden circles like on the mobil (but bigger) and hang them around the walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaDeniell
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008 10:59:15 AM »

That looks really fantastic!! Congrats on the new addition.

For the Walls you could use these
http://www.wallies.com/list/new_self_adhesive/page-1
or similar, I've found them at walmart, lowes, home depot, and hobby lobby... all different brands of basically the same thing. I've currently got some race car ones in my kids rooms, and when they were little I had zoo animals(that was in an apartment and they didnt damage he walls at all)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Crafting!
hello color!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008 11:12:39 AM »

I love all these wall sticky things, but they come out to a lot of money if you want to cover the walls, and they're not very re-usable. I got Blik Re-Stik, but even those I don't think can be reused more than once or twice. The glue just stops being very gluey... However, you can make something similar yourself for cheaper. In another thread, someone mentioned using starch to "glue" fabric to the walls, - and since it's just starch, it won't take off the paint when you remove it. I've been meaning to try painting contact paper (since it never comes in pretty colors that don't cost an arm and a leg!) and using that, but there's a good chance that that won't work... Starching fabric, however, should.

Oh yeah, and the blue/green/orange theme is so much fun! Keep it going with whatever other items you make. And I love the idea of using the inside of an embroidery hoop for the mobile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessimocha
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008 11:54:36 AM »

oh i love the mobile and the colours you're using! very bright and bold and good for a baby, but not gender specific. Cheesy

what about for the walls you did something like this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=203487.0

it's just using embroidery hoops and fabric scraps. even if you don't have scraps, you can always find cheap fabric in remnant bins in fabric stores. and you could try and find fabric in your colour scheme and with cute prints and stuff. it would be cool to have a whole wall of those, i think.

you could also sew some sort of wall hanging, or paint canvass! you could do just abstract shapes in the same colours on canvasses, or even just get small canvasses and paint them in solid colours. my friend does that in her apartment and it adds  a nice splash of colour to the wall.

(can you tell i really like the idea of a blank wall yet to decorate Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
lighthematch
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008 01:00:50 PM »

I love the colors you chose...and the mobile, and the frames...  I get all excited when I see people posting their baby rooms--I'm planning my daughter's toddler room for when we move and I love getting inspiration.

Those wall sticker things that previous posters mentioned are a good idea.  My daughter has been ceaselessly fascinated with the jungle animal wall stickers she has next to her changing table, and she's 13 months old! 
One thing that I'm glad I did when putting together her room was making a thinly padded area on her floor...I took a queen size egg crate bed pad (bought it at ross, there are probably even cheaper places, too) and folded it in half, then sewed a really simple cover for it using colorful cotton duck cloth.  I put it in the corner of her room and added a few pillows, figuring that it would make playing on the floor more comfortable.  She has fallen asleep on it a few times while playing in her room.  Maybe its too comfortable  Roll Eyes.  It adds color to the room, and its a nice place for me to sit while I'm playing with her on the floor.  I also ended up using it as a bed for many nights in a row when she was first born and I was nursing her constantly (she was a finicky nurser and my milk supply never seemed like enough, I had to nurse really frequently during the first 2 months...sorry, tmi).

painting thrift store shelves/dressers always brightens things up, too... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008 03:37:16 PM »

this is going to be a great room.   I may borrow the circles mobile idea, I love it!! I am making a hockey themed room for my boy to be, those circles could be hockey pucks!!!!
And I love the colors you chose
best wishes with your baby to be Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 07:46:13 PM »

I would take embroidery hoops and put brightly colored fabric in them.. all different sizes.  That way you can change them out or take them with you.  This is VERY cute, BTW
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008 08:13:48 PM »

I knew you guys would have awesome ideas!  Now I'm torn - what to do???  I especially love the vinyl wall decal idea and the embroidery hoops with coordinating fabrics.  Will have to settle on something and get it done while I still have energy to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phiasmom0
Gluten Free Mama

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009 03:25:49 PM »

so what did it end up looking like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the airplane, the pessimist invents the parachute. George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stars Beauty Secrets Revealed
Emma Watson: From Hermione to Burberry
Hair Basics: Fishtail Braid
Beauty Guide: Cream Blush
Beauty Guide: Dark Matte Nails
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...