A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese crafts class?  (Read 1808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floatingmoon
« on: March 08, 2008 08:28:00 AM »

Is there any Japanese Crafts class held in Greater Vancouver (Canada)?

I like Japanese Crafts, they are so neat and cute. I saw some books, but I realize that, many of the books, you need to have basic skills, in order to understands. Also, I don't understand Japanese (only some kanji) so that make it harder too.

I've been searching online for Japanese cultural-related center, and also VSB, etc, but find nothing.

Edit: I searched the Nikkei center, they only have calligraphy, paper tearing art, and card making. Their card making class is a bit pricy for my budget.

I'd like to learn some fabric crafts. Since for fabric crafts, I can buy them in Daiso or other fabric stores.

I am also interesting to know if there are other types of crafts class too, not just fabric crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008 10:47:33 AM »

i don't know of specific classes, but there is a japanese craft store in yaohann centre in richmond (it's the big mall about half a block away from daiso). they seem to be fairly pricey, but they sell kits and stuff like that, so they might be a good place to start. most japanese craft books and kits are very image based, and you can figure out a lot of it without being able to read them. i went there the other day for the first time in years, and the staff did speak english, so they'd be able to help you with the parts you didn't understand.

i want to say it's called alpha crafts, but i really don't remember for sure! however, it's on the top floor, in the corner, over by the bookstore (which also has quite a lot of cool japanese craft books, shelved under the subject "knitting". i got a beautiful crochet book, and the cutest embroidery book the other day!).

i took a picture of the craft store display, just cause it was so darn cute!

i hope that helps at least a little bit....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
floatingmoon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 08:11:20 AM »

Thanks. Yes, I know that mall, that craft store and that book store.

I am not sure what the crafts store teach, I know they teach knitting. Not sure if they teach other things.

I went to that book store before.

Yes, some Japaneses crafts books are very graphic.

But I want to know that I can almost 100% understand the instruction in the book, and
will be able to use the book, even I don't have basic knowledge of certain type of crafts
BEFORE buying the books coz they are not $cheap$.

p.s Thanx for the picture, those knitting dolls are cute. I like the lovebird (at the lower right corner), coz I have a "live" lovebird at home.

At this stage, I am interested into buying those knitting dolls, instead of making them. But maybe someday I will want to learn how to make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 09:04:42 AM »

you may want to learn the specific craft skills in english, before trying to learn them in japanese. if you were to learn crochet or knitting at an english class, after a while you'd have enough knowledge to figure out the japanese instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
floatingmoon
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008 08:06:26 PM »

Thank you for the tips on the knitting dolls.

What about other crafts? such as those Japanese fabric crafts, and those Japanese style quilts? And other types of Japanese crafts?

I tried modelling clay, I think it takes "that" clay, with "that" personality to make it work.

Have anyone tried buying Japanese crafts books, without any background knowledge and still able to make it works? (how many % works?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coff333Zombi3
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013 06:48:33 PM »

I don't know about classes but I just took this book out of the library that was all about Japaneses fabric wrapping , it was called: Wrapagami: The Art of Fabric Gift Wraps by Jennifer Playford.  http://www.amazon.ca/Wrapagami-The-Fabric-Gift-Wraps/dp/0312566670, I thought if you haven't read it already you might find it interesting/inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are days when I think there really is some huge great tapestry of a plan out there and we're all woven into it - this fabulous, complex pattern of life and death, full of recurring motifs and waves of color, and we're each one tiny thread in the weave.
― Jane Johnson, The Tenth Gift
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour for Long, Lean Faces
Is Tinted Brow Gel Worth It?
How to Get Selena Gomez’s Red Carpet Look
Favorite Products For Treating Sun Damage and Dark Spots
Jamie Greenberg Cooks Up All Natural Beauty Products With Alexis Wolfer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...