A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Least favorite part of knitting..  (Read 4016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Skellerz
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008 04:42:59 PM »

Seaming is the devil.  It used to be all I'd do for my wrist warmers and such until I got my new needles, now I have no idea why I didn't just suck it up and learn to knit with colored pencils or something.
Thank god for magic loop...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wabbit
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008 03:28:53 AM »

I hate trying the FO on and discovering it makes me look ugly. Maybe it's not actually a part of knitting - but knitting something wearable inevitably ends with trying it on, no? It so sucks that you do all this hard work casting on and knitting and seaming and weaving in ends and what not, and then you finally have it all done, and no, it looks bad, you wouldn't buy something like that at the store.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008 05:06:32 AM by wabbit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if I were thinking, which I am not, that would not show that I exist."
madidolly
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008 05:30:36 AM »

Can't stand casting on.  Seeing a number like "cast on 98" makes me shake.  Once I'm past the first row I get over it.  Another one is making a hat I love only to find out I look bad in it.  Thank goodness I have two daughters and a GD waiting in the wings.   One of them gives it a good home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellecg
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008 12:28:39 PM »

Finishing: Seems crazy, but I hate it! You'd figure that the excitement of getting a finished garment would make this less painful, but the process of knitting is so much more enjoyable for me than seaming, sewing in ends & the dreaded blocking (which I rarely, if ever do!)
Trying on the finished garment: Yup - I agree with wabbit on this one! Never looks as good on me as on the model (of course!) & never looks as good on me in reality as it did in my imagination when choosing the project.

As I knit more and more, I'm getting better at both, but still... Angry
Grrrrrrr...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008 03:53:45 PM »

I'm one of the strange ones that LOVES swatching.  I can't explain it, there's just something zen about getting the same results as some other knitter a world away who knits in a totally unique way.

As far as what I hate?  Casting on and off.  I can never seem to get them to be the right stretchiness, or even an equal stretchiness.  If I could just knit for ever without ever casting on or off, that would be awesome.  And I hate that jog you get with stripes in the round.  I know there are ways around it, but none of them are perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008 04:03:58 PM »

Oh!!!  I have another one!

Gauge swatching.

Gauge swatching?  What's that? Wink  Therefore, one of my least favorite parts is starting on something and realizing it's going to be waaaaay to big or small because I don't swatch. ever.
I also have issues with the middle of projects...I tend to be so excited at the beginning, and at the end I can't wait to finish, but a lot of times I get a week or two in the middle where I just stop knitting because I feel like it's not moving at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008 04:17:20 PM »

my least favorite part is finishing something and then having to pick all the dog and cat fur off of it.  i have several projects that aren't being used just because it seems so futile to de-fur things, since the knitted item inevitably attracts it, and i have a hard time knitting things for swaps or gifts because i'm afraid it'll look like i knitted with animal fur, not yarn.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Riki
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008 06:19:35 PM »

I have to chime in here ... to say that I absolutely adore casting on because it is the beginning of the excitement of knitting something new! One of my first memories of knitting, when i was about 7 I think, is looking at the line of cast on stitches (bright bright pink!) and just thinking "wow".

HATE (X100!!) seaming ... which is why I do everything in the round now!

Casting off is also fun .. end of one, being free to start another!

And the process ... just love seeing the stitches move from one needle to another, and, I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I also love purling! Watching the needle go in, take the yarn and pull it through to make a stitch ... mesmerizing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sock_Tan
Argyle Dutchess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008 08:54:31 PM »

I loathe having to make two identical things. I'm totally sick of it by the time I finish the first one, why do I have to suffer through it again?

Also, I hate knitting flat in stockinette stitch. My fabric always comes out lopsided because my gauge is always looser on the end of the fabric where you start all the wrong sides. -_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh well we sometimes feel we're to blame in some way for what our gran's become. I mean she used to be happy here until she, she started on the crochet.
 Now she can't do without it. Twenty balls of wool a day, sometimes. If she can't get the wool she gets violent. What can we do about it?"
antiruth

nearly 30 weeks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008 12:37:16 AM »

I hate sewing the pieces together.  I suck at it!
Ellen

Meee to, I am SUCH a bad sewer, just cus I think it's boring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Custom Christmas Tree Skirt
Sewing Basics with Pins and Needles
Customized Bulletin Board How-To
How to Make a Paper Carnation Flower
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...