A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Least favorite part of knitting..  (Read 4032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blueeyes1084
~Amber~

My husbands favorite color is blond..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 07, 2008 06:49:35 PM »

GRR I just realized how much I hate casting on. It sucks so much. Makes me realize how not close to the end I am. I guess it's fun to start new project but when I'm just starting I feel so crappy... Right now I'm casting on 38 to start this: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50368.html Unfortunately I was planning on doing a few of them and stitching them together so this is going to take a while!!! Ohhh aggravation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you~

There's one good thing about making mistakes..... you learn great lessons from them!
Skellerz
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008 07:29:33 PM »

It's the finishing I hate.
I did a striped fidget about a week ago, and the only thing I have left to do is weave in the ends.
It's sitting on my dresser.  Ends hanging out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chick-wiff-sticks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008 07:36:26 PM »

You're both right.
The only cast-on I (bother to) know is single cast-on, because that is the favorite cast-on of the person who taught me, so no pretty cast-on edges for me...*tear*
And by the time you're finished with something, you're pretty much fed up with it and don't want to fiddle with the stupid thing any more. I DETEST with a passion tucking in ends, like when switching colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.intherealworld.moonfruit.com
We need an artist! Visit the site and try out!
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008 01:46:40 AM »

Actually, its knitting. It's boring. I just made a Transformers toque and the fiddly intarsia and decreases drove me insane but inspired me at the same time. The 45 rows of straight knitting - not so much. I made a dolls dress and it was great. Almost all the fun parts. I am re-thinking the sweater I was going to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllenKnits
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008 04:56:03 AM »

I hate sewing the pieces together.  I suck at it!
Ellen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008 05:12:55 AM »

It's joining and weaving in the ends for me.  I literally have a box of about 6 pair of socks sitting for about 2 years because all that's left is to weave the ends in.  Once in a while I'll take out a pair and finish them, but they get replaced by others.  I call it my  box of shame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kannd86
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008 08:09:28 AM »

I only hate casting on if it's a lot of stitches, or if I have to redo it a couple of times. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 12:59:40 PM »

When casting on and when you find out after spending about a few weeks that you made it too big and had to frog it... T.T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skellerz
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008 02:44:07 PM »

When casting on and when you find out after spending about a few weeks that you made it too big and had to frog it... T.T
I hate that >.<

Oh!!!  I have another one!

Gauge swatching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelliz
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008 04:26:15 PM »

I can't stand seaming!  Or any kind of finishing!  I'd have a  great little vest to wear if I would only seam it together! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008 04:42:59 PM »

Seaming is the devil.  It used to be all I'd do for my wrist warmers and such until I got my new needles, now I have no idea why I didn't just suck it up and learn to knit with colored pencils or something.
Thank god for magic loop...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wabbit
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008 03:28:53 AM »

I hate trying the FO on and discovering it makes me look ugly. Maybe it's not actually a part of knitting - but knitting something wearable inevitably ends with trying it on, no? It so sucks that you do all this hard work casting on and knitting and seaming and weaving in ends and what not, and then you finally have it all done, and no, it looks bad, you wouldn't buy something like that at the store.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008 05:06:32 AM by wabbit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if I were thinking, which I am not, that would not show that I exist."
madidolly
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008 05:30:36 AM »

Can't stand casting on.  Seeing a number like "cast on 98" makes me shake.  Once I'm past the first row I get over it.  Another one is making a hat I love only to find out I look bad in it.  Thank goodness I have two daughters and a GD waiting in the wings.   One of them gives it a good home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellecg
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008 12:28:39 PM »

Finishing: Seems crazy, but I hate it! You'd figure that the excitement of getting a finished garment would make this less painful, but the process of knitting is so much more enjoyable for me than seaming, sewing in ends & the dreaded blocking (which I rarely, if ever do!)
Trying on the finished garment: Yup - I agree with wabbit on this one! Never looks as good on me as on the model (of course!) & never looks as good on me in reality as it did in my imagination when choosing the project.

As I knit more and more, I'm getting better at both, but still... Angry
Grrrrrrr...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008 03:53:45 PM »

I'm one of the strange ones that LOVES swatching.  I can't explain it, there's just something zen about getting the same results as some other knitter a world away who knits in a totally unique way.

As far as what I hate?  Casting on and off.  I can never seem to get them to be the right stretchiness, or even an equal stretchiness.  If I could just knit for ever without ever casting on or off, that would be awesome.  And I hate that jog you get with stripes in the round.  I know there are ways around it, but none of them are perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008 04:03:58 PM »

Oh!!!  I have another one!

Gauge swatching.

Gauge swatching?  What's that? Wink  Therefore, one of my least favorite parts is starting on something and realizing it's going to be waaaaay to big or small because I don't swatch. ever.
I also have issues with the middle of projects...I tend to be so excited at the beginning, and at the end I can't wait to finish, but a lot of times I get a week or two in the middle where I just stop knitting because I feel like it's not moving at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008 04:17:20 PM »

my least favorite part is finishing something and then having to pick all the dog and cat fur off of it.  i have several projects that aren't being used just because it seems so futile to de-fur things, since the knitted item inevitably attracts it, and i have a hard time knitting things for swaps or gifts because i'm afraid it'll look like i knitted with animal fur, not yarn.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Riki
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008 06:19:35 PM »

I have to chime in here ... to say that I absolutely adore casting on because it is the beginning of the excitement of knitting something new! One of my first memories of knitting, when i was about 7 I think, is looking at the line of cast on stitches (bright bright pink!) and just thinking "wow".

HATE (X100!!) seaming ... which is why I do everything in the round now!

Casting off is also fun .. end of one, being free to start another!

And the process ... just love seeing the stitches move from one needle to another, and, I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I also love purling! Watching the needle go in, take the yarn and pull it through to make a stitch ... mesmerizing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sock_Tan
Argyle Dutchess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008 08:54:31 PM »

I loathe having to make two identical things. I'm totally sick of it by the time I finish the first one, why do I have to suffer through it again?

Also, I hate knitting flat in stockinette stitch. My fabric always comes out lopsided because my gauge is always looser on the end of the fabric where you start all the wrong sides. -_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh well we sometimes feel we're to blame in some way for what our gran's become. I mean she used to be happy here until she, she started on the crochet.
 Now she can't do without it. Twenty balls of wool a day, sometimes. If she can't get the wool she gets violent. What can we do about it?"
antiruth

nearly 30 weeks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008 12:37:16 AM »

I hate sewing the pieces together.  I suck at it!
Ellen

Meee to, I am SUCH a bad sewer, just cus I think it's boring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2K
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

arf arf!

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008 06:40:05 AM »

I love knitting and all that comes with it.  I think I'm weird!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3littlechicks
Mom to minions

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008 06:47:46 PM »

I hate casting on, and following charts....but I love the results of charts so much! It's a labor of love.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftaclysm

The Sun never sets on the sneaky flute empire!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008 08:56:47 PM »

I love casting on because i'm always so excited about my new project, but I (like so many others) hate the part where I have to frog it cause i didn't swatch.  I also hate hate hate the last few rows or inches before i bind off, cause i'm usually so excited to get DONE that last little bit is torture to get through.  Lastly, seaming sucks.  Somehow, i always coordinate losing all my tapestry needles with finishing a project, and by the time i'm done i just wanna show it off, not sit there and stitch it all together. 

This all has me thinking...someone should start a business where they just weave in ends, seam stuff up, and do all the gross knitting stuff people hate.  they'd make a ton of money off me!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3catnight
big scary American girl

Once again a three-cat night!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008 02:45:04 PM »

I will do anything to avoid seaming. I knit everything in the round, top down whenever possible (almost always). I pick up around the armholes and knit sleeves top down - which has the added benefit of getting the sleeves long enough. The only drawback is having to flip a whole sweater around while knitting the sleeves, but to me that is a small price to pay.

Weaving in ends is my #2 hate. When switching to a new strand of the same yarn, I alternate the old and new strands for a few stitches, leaving tails hanging, then do the same with the working yarn and the tails on the following couple of rows. When the tail gets to be only a couple inches long, I stop knitting with it but still "trap" it behind the stitches - that way it's all woven in as I go.

If I'm switching to a different color, I'll just trap the old yarn (a few stitches one row, a few more the next) until the tail is used up. This also works for colorwork where I'm repeating the colors, so the non-working yarn isn't stranded loose across the back.

(As my dad always says, "Leave it to a lazy person to find the easiest way.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blu40
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008 09:45:41 AM »

I hate the picking up stitches and the sewing up and sewing buttons on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheryl
knitty_kitty
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008 11:18:14 PM »

I will do anything to avoid seaming. I knit everything in the round, top down whenever possible (almost always). I pick up around the armholes and knit sleeves top down - which has the added benefit of getting the sleeves long enough. The only drawback is having to flip a whole sweater around while knitting the sleeves, but to me that is a small price to pay.

3catnight:  I feel exactly the same way.  In fact, I have been trying to figure out how to knit a seamless cardigan.  All the cables and bobbles don't bother me.  Neither do the pages and pages of pattern I have to follow.  It's those darn seems that have kept me from starting another.  Here is my post about it: 

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=212357.0

I would love it if you could go into more detail about picking up for sleeves.

Weaving in ends is my #2 hate.

I completely agree with you on weaving too.

I have 2 purses and a hat sitting around collecting dust waiting to be seemed and/or weaved.  Blah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008 03:51:07 AM »

Seaming things together.. weaving in the ends.. I always think that what I'm doing isn't enough.. that it will show, and that the woven in ends will pop out no matter what I do! 

ALSO.. why is it when you get to the last 2 inches.. you knit and knit AND knit.. and it's still almost 2 inches away to the ending.. so, the last 2 inches is really 5 inches by the time it ends up measuring 3 inches!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
syrlig
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008 05:05:22 AM »

Lol,  I love weaving in ends. That is totally zen for me. Because the item’s really kinda done, and after all the knitting weaving in ends is kinda refreshing. And it really is brainless work so I can do while watching a movie. And it turns out so neat!

Seaming is also zen. I more often than not have to re-do them, but it’s all about making it just right. Seaming and weaving in ends is when I really feel I love the project. I feel like I’m just working with a slightly disobedient child – sometimes annoying yet adorable.

Casting on is fun. And especially trying new cast on metodes Grin Superfun!

I hate casting off. I don’t hate the act of doing it, but I hate the anxiety because it rarely turns out pretty. And then I have to re-do it. Hate!

I aslo hate it when I’ve freehanded a sock and then when I start on the second one don’t remember what I did, like how many stitches did I work the heel and such. But that is usually when I make one and then don’t make the other for a month
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I collect the pieces of insight I find on the street and sew them into a quilt of understanding.
Dharma1521
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008 05:16:23 AM »

Can't stand casting on.  Seeing a number like "cast on 98" makes me shake.  Once I'm past the first row I get over it.  Another one is making a hat I love only to find out I look bad in it.  Thank goodness I have two daughters and a GD waiting in the wings.   One of them gives it a good home.

Me too. I have a haunting feeling that it may be because I'm not doing it right Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Celeste Chalfonte
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008 07:24:50 AM »

I would like to pay someone for weaving in ends, it's so - urrg. Most of my projects are waiting half of a year to be finished. But that's not enough- i don't know why - I dislike them so much on me, so that they wait another half a year till my sister's/brother's/mom's/dad's birthday... sad sad sad, how can i change myself? Sometime it's not satisfying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008 08:41:14 AM »

Finishing, finishing, finishing. I make mostly sweaters so pretty much every project has a lot of seams involved, and I've definitely had sweaters that I completed all the pieces for & then put off the actual finishing for weeks after that because I hate seams so much. Especially setting in sleeves--I always have to fudge them at least a little & for some reason despite all my best efforts to make sure the armhole opening & sleeve cap are the same size, it's always off just a bit. But I think I'm getting better with time, so I think practice and patience are key here, as with many things.  Oh and blocking too. It just takes way too much time and I don't really have the space for it to begin with. I usually end up hand-washing the finished piece, I spin it out in the washer & then tug on it a little to set everything in place and drape it over my clothes-drying rack.  Again...patience:)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008 08:44:56 AM by bijou_raoul » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amybarnett
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008 12:10:41 PM »

Angry I hate hate hate the kitchner stitch. With a passion. Booooooo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PicklePants
Wherever there's a bee, honey can't be far behind...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008 07:27:55 PM »

i have no stamina when it comes to knitting. i like to be able to watch my work grow and grow quickly. i hate big projects for this reason.

gimmie little things anyday!

i also hate it when you buy really nice yarns, only to find that by the time you are finished (or, in my case, half way) transforming them into something yummy, you can't stand the sight of them anymore.

so sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoweviolet
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008 10:58:29 PM »

I think blocking is annoying as hell. You have to be sooooo meticulous and then it takes forever to dry. Pain in the... Angry

~Tahra~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://snoweviolet.wordpress.com <-Absolutely Under No Circumstances Qualified to Knit Blog
craftaclysm

The Sun never sets on the sneaky flute empire!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008 03:57:46 PM »

hm...i agree that blocking sucks.  often, i don't do it, so a lot of my stuff looks kind of wonky, but i'm ok with it.  also, i've often said i hate seaming, but i just found out i was doing it wrong...at least mattress stitch.  apparently you don't just poke your needle in where ever you want.  now i know how to do it, i totally love seaming. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovethekevins

the cats tell me what to do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008 10:01:47 PM »

For me it's any kind of finishing on a piece and the sad feeling i get when i've finally finished something and then have to pick something new to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ehmalee
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008 08:52:19 PM »

I hate casting on if it's a huge amount of stitches. I just started a project, 164 stitches and my family kept talking to me. I had to cast on about 7 times. I hated it.

I don't hate any particular part of knitting other than the lack of supplies located around here. My area has no LYS's anywhere. It's depressing because all of these patterns are amazing but I don't have the recommended yarns nor do I know how to substitute yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008 12:36:53 AM »

I hate casting on if it's a huge amount of stitches. I just started a project, 164 stitches and my family kept talking to me. I had to cast on about 7 times. I hated it.

I know what you mean! Yesterday I cast on 320! But i decided to take the easy way out and put a marker every 50 stitches. Boy did that help in all the interruptions I had!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehmalee
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008 08:25:22 AM »

I know what you mean! Yesterday I cast on 320! But i decided to take the easy way out and put a marker every 50 stitches. Boy did that help in all the interruptions I had!

I did the same thing, PM at every 50-32-50-32 stitches... I think my natural inability to count might have also played a part in my frustration. Somehow in my mind, the number 8 does not exsist -.-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xohsweetnothin
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008 08:39:53 PM »

Honestly? I really hate just finishing it... I knit mostly to keep my hands busy.. I really love the process but when it's all done, even if it's an item I totally love, I hate that I've finished because now.. I either have nothing to do to keep me busy, or I need to think of something new to knit/buy more yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing is free. Even the birds are chained to the sky."
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008 08:47:51 AM »

Ok, I hate it when I have to rip back and reknit.  Seems like every time I do that the yarn is all funky, splits easily, breaks easily, and is just generally difficult to knit with. 

I also hate trying to find buttons for cardigans.  Boo I suck at that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
ShojoKirei
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008 05:21:56 PM »

The one thing I hate about knitting is that my arms and shoulders get sore after knitting for a while.  Also, my fingers start to ache, but that's not as bad as my shoulder.  Ugh!  Any tips for me? 

ShojoKirei
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008 06:39:46 PM »

The one thing I hate about knitting is that my arms and shoulders get sore after knitting for a while.  Also, my fingers start to ache, but that's not as bad as my shoulder.  Ugh!  Any tips for me? 

ShojoKirei
Are you using straights or circulars? I find that my shoulders and arms will ache when I use straights but not when I use circulars. Something about supporting the needles - you don't have to with circulars because you just have the one portion in your hand.

What kind of chair are you sitting in? I find that if I'm on the bus - no chair arms - if I put my purse in my lap to support my arms, I have less problems with aches.

Also, a pillow in the lap may help support your arms and your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gmadanger
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008 03:15:41 PM »

dyeing yarn and having the colours become.... unpleasant, let's say, when knitted up.

also, i find it very fiddly and difficult to join my first round on dpn's. they're all... floppy. especially when it's one of those "CO 3" co's. sheesh. but it only takes half a second and i love KFB increases so it's all right in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you're not dying. you just can't think of anything good to do.

livejournal: asltw
etsy: greenyblue67 (empty atm)
ravelry: asltw
girlwithsixarms
Epic Flail!

Endurance Knitter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008 03:12:10 AM »

I hate knitting the first couple of rows on DPNs or after a backward loop cast on, I hate the provisional cast on to a degree that I have trouble expressing, I don't like stockinette unless it's in the round and finishing is just so darn unpleasant.

But everything else is magic : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's probably something deeply wrong about using superglue in bed, but I don't care 'cause I'm a rebel.

Blog? What Blog?
Shoppin' the Swap
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008 01:52:26 PM »

dyeing yarn and having the colours become.... unpleasant, let's say, when knitted up.

Ugh. That, or buying variegated yarn that looked good on the skein but look like ass when knitted up. Gah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Raychel Wade Gives Shows Fixes for Teen Beauty Blunders
The Best and Boldest Beauty of Awards Season
Oscar Movie Makeup Tutorials Grow More Popular
Bibhu Mohapatra Fall 2014 NYFW Backstage, Interviews & Runway
The 5 Minute Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...