A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: handbag with silky stripes!  (Read 964 times)
Tags for this thread: brocade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jrucker93
« on: March 07, 2008 12:30:06 PM »

hellllllooooo!! im new to craftster... and this is my first post ever!!

Sooo i just started sewing in september (which is why the fabric looks so fallish...) and i made this and its one of my first projects i ever did. and i designed it and made the pattern myself! and im pretty happy with how it turned out. the brown fabric is actually cordaroy and the floral fabric is some silky material. not really sure what it is because i got it really cheap in a remnant bin. so it has a circle base and then folds in, so it holds A LOT and then it has 2 handles. for some more pizazz i added a bow in the same silky floral and an orange lining. and its really cool because the last stripe on the right continues on to the back. (sorry i dont have a pic) hope you like it! click the link below to see a good pic of it!

hah. this is after i used it SOOO much. the silky material started fraying. i just used all purpose thread. is there a better thread you can use so this doesn't happen?Huh but you can see that the bag is pretty big so it can hold a lot. Grin sorry my room is so messy! click this link to see it!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011 11:26:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008 06:10:12 PM »

Wow - that is too cool!  Especially for you making up the pattern yourself, and just starting to sew in September!  WTG on this bag.  I don't usually like bows on things, but I really like the way it looks on this bag. 

Very cool, and I will be looking forward to more pics of your work! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
**mandie**
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008 06:03:09 AM »

Wow!  Great job! especially for a beginner!  Sorry I can't help with the fraying problem.. I've never sewn with silk before.  Maybe a different stitch?  or leaving more of a seam allowance..?  idk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008 01:04:26 PM »

Oh, it's very cool!
I like it a lot.
Unfortunately I can't help you much because I'm not really a sewer myself--why I always really appreciate what others sew--because I can't imagine even where to start...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
jlbrannon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008 06:16:49 PM »

Very cute bag.  As to the fraying, first use a ballpoint needle for that type of fabric.  I have used it and it is tricky to sew on, but a ballpoint needle will keep it from splitting the thread and pulling or running.  When you cut the fabric, did you turn it under, sew the edge, then turn it under again so all the raw edges are completely enclosed?  If not, that is most likely where you went wrong.  If you don't have a serger, then you need to completely enclose all raw edges.  That should take care of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imacoolkid
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008 04:03:39 PM »

Wow this is sooo adorable  Shocked. Was the basic design pretty simple? I'd really like to try making one of these. I think my friend would love a bag like this for her birthday  Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Dart on Garments
How to Do Ribbon Embroidery
How to Paint Warhammer Miniatures
How to Paint Blood Angels
How to Do Scrapbook Embellishments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...