A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Farmerís Market Swap (SEND BY 04/19/08)  (Read 19548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneredboot
« on: March 07, 2008 11:00:52 AM »

Swap name:  Farmerís Market Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  oneredboot
Co-organizer:  girlosun_9
Sign-up date range:  03/07/08 Ė 03/21/08 ; partners 03/22/08
Date to send package by:  04/19/08

Limited to a certain number of people?  NO

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO

Age requirement? NO (but if you are under 18, please be sure you have permission from your elders and easy access to a post office and digital camera)

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: YES

Details of swap:

Thereís nothing like rolling out of bed on a Saturday morning, grabbing a cup of coffee, and heading to the local Farmerís Market.  Since growing season is just beginning and Farmerís Markets everywhere are just starting to open for the year, letís celebrate our local Farmerís Markets! 

Maybe youíre a gardener who appreciates the variety of local produce, or maybe (like me) youíve have been inspired by Barbara Kingsolverís new book ďAnimal, Vegetable, MiracleĒ (which recounts her familyís year of eating locally), or maybe you just love to cook with all of the amazing fresh veggies you can find at the market! 

Letís swap crafted things that make shopping at the Farmerís Market easier, eco-friendlier, more inspired, and more stylish!

This is a low-stress swap!  We will be making one medium and two small items.   The medium item and one of your small items should be crafted, but one small item can be purchased or thrifted if you and your partner agree. 

According to Craftster, medium and small items are equivalent to the following:
MEDIUM  = 2 to 3 hours, $10-$30 (a set of notecards, a scarf, a simple bag)
SMALL  = less than 2 hours, less than $10 (earrings, a wallet, a bookmark)
These size guidelines are very subjective, so, as always, work with your partner to decide how much to send.  Be sure to agree on the amount of time, money, and effort you want to spend for this swap.

Below are some thoughts for Farmerís Market-related crafted items.  As ideas are mentioned in this thread, Iíll update the list.

Reusable market bags: 
knitted (http://disdressed.blogspot.com/2006/08/string-bag.html , http://magknits.com/June06/patterns/market.htm )
crocheted (http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/crocheted_eco_friendly_carryall.phphttp://crochetme.com/patterns/market-bag )
felted (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=222770.0 , http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTfrenchmarket.html )
or sewn (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=223445.0 , http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0 )
or embroidered bags
or bags for people who bike to the farmerís market

Muslin produce bags

Warm hats or legwarmers for keeping warm at the market in the colder months, or sun hats for keeping cool in the summer

Fingerless gloves for choosing produce on cold mornings

Stenciled Ts with slogans like ďeat localĒ or ďsupport our farmersĒ or "no farmers, no food"

Embroidered patches:  veggies, ďeat local,Ē etc.

Ways of carrying change / market money:  change purse, small wallet, altered art tin

Altered art tin for keeping market money, seeds, etc.

DIY herb garden or veggie garden seed packets

Cooking or gardening journal, or a journal for keeping favorite recipes

Your favorite recipes for fresh produce and local eating (remember that itís illegal to Xerox copyrighted material, so use recipes that you have concocted yourself or have substantially changed)

Books (used is fine as long as they are in nice condition) on small-scale gardening, cooking with fresh veggies, or living a farmerís market-friendly lifestyle

Anything that celebrates or supports our Farmerís Markets!

Throughout the swap, you will be expected to:
* Keep in regular contact with your partner
* PM me and your partner when you send and when you receive.  If you are sending within your own country, you must have a DC# (delivery confirmation number).  Include the DC in your ďpackage sentĒ PM to me and your partner.  If you are sending outside of your country and cannot get a tracking number, you must keep your receipt as proof of shipping.
* When you receive, post photographs in the gallery

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide for other details about participating in a swap.

Please note that you may not be able to participate in this swap if your swap profile includes:
* ANY negative feedback comments
* poor communication in past swaps
* sending late in past swaps

If you want to participate, please PM me (oneredboot) with your questionnaire rather than posting it here.  THANKS! 

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap:  Farmerís Market Swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?     
If YES, you MUST be willing to ship air postal or an equivalent which will take a maximum of 3 weeks.  Are you willing?
Confirm that are at least 13 years old (YES/NO)

URL for your wists:
URL for your blog (if youíve got one):

Whatís the name of your local Farmerís Market?
What do you like best about your Farmerís Market?
Are you vegetarian, vegan, omnivore, macrobiotic, raw, etc.?
What do you like to cook?
What are your favorite veggies?  Fruits?
Anything fruits or veggies you donít like?
Do you garden?  If so, what kind of gardening do you like?

What crafts do you do?
What kinds of things would you most like to make for this swap? 

What kinds of things would you most like to receive in this swap?
Would you prefer to receive items to use during the colder or warmer Farmerís Market months?
Relevant sizes for the things youíd like to receive?
Favorite / least favorite colors?
Anything you do NOT want to receive? (i.e, Do you have too many shopping bags already??)

Do you have a digital camera or access to a digital camera? Can you post pictures?
Do you smoke or come from a smoking household?
Any other information youíd like your partner to know?  Allergies, strong preferences, a little about you?

LIST OF APPROVED SWAPPERS:
1.  oneredboot
2.  Teeisme
3.  Maiziemama
4.  myklia
5.  amymisha
6.  Ma Rut
7.  auntiem
8.  Thunderchild
9.  girlosun_9
10.  anastrophe
11.  mountaingrrl
12.  thatcraftyrabbit
13.  catpants
14.  PetitMer
15.  santacruzsugar
16.  ladybugger
17.  camelama
18.  cheebs
19.  panul
20.  dealupa
21.  mimiw
22.  superhooker
23.  annacharlotte
24.  blitz
25.  ritapizza
26.  AngelBearMom

GALLERY

PARTNERS

A <  > B  [A and B send to each other]

Teeisme <  > santacruzsugar
maiziemama  > > girlosun_9
myklia <  > anastrophe
amymisha <  > ladybugger
Ma Rut  <  > camelama
auntiem  <  > cheebs
Thunderchild <  >  blitz
panul < > dealupa
oneredboot <  > PetitMer
mountaingrrl <  > mimiw
thatcraftyrabbit <  > catpants
annacharlotte <  > superhooker
ritapizza <  > AngelBearMom
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008 08:43:45 PM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
myklia
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008 03:42:18 PM »

I will send in my questionnaire before the evening ends.  This will be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008 04:41:10 PM »

Hopefully I'll get a spot open for this soon!  Thanks for the long signup period!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
catpants

viva la hamsterpants! may he rest in peace.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008 05:59:56 PM »

i'll be signing up for this when i have more time to think about my answers to the swap questionnaire Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maiziemama
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008 08:40:59 PM »

I signed up!  I was in my garden all day today, so I am getting super excited for the spring fresh food season!!  Our market opens in April I think, but I am planting peas and greens for our family already! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymisha
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008 11:06:58 AM »

Oh sign me up!!! I wish I could get in my garden plot... bu I'm in Maine until May and my garden lives in Boston. I'll get down and see it next weekend and bring it some rabbit poop and seaweed. Gardening from afar. It's OK, because I can't really get much in the ground until very late April anyway... just doesn't do well.

We have a sad and small farmer's market here in Boothbay, but I am sure it won't be open for months. Might as well get ready though! I miss the markets in Boston... they are bigger and great. Soon enough, soon enough.

Planning my garden in my head..... I'm so sick of snow.
Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008 11:34:22 AM »

I just sent my info in Smiley Great idea for a swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 12:23:26 PM »

Fabulous!  So far we have 7 swappers!   

maiziemama:  i'm so jealous of your garden time!  we've had torrents of rain the past few days, so the backyard is rather submerged.  we need the rain--we're in a serious drought--but the ground can't hold any more water!  the chickens are looking pretty soggy, too, and have been huddling in the chicken house all day...

amymisha:  ok, i can't resist:  rabbit poop and seaweed??  is this some sort of super special compost??  i assume you have a rabbit, but where does the seaweed come from? 

superhooker and catpants:  take your time!  signups are open for a loooong time!  seeds take time to grow, so do swaps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amymisha
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008 07:25:54 AM »

Rabbit poop and seaweed... both very good for gardens. : ) I have two rabbits here in Maine, and they poop a lot!  And the seaweed comes from Ocean point... a little beach/rocky area a few minutes away. Since I live on the coast of Maine right now we have lots of seaweed, and I put it in garbage bags and drive it down to Boston when I go, to love up my garden a bit. I have friends down there asking me to bring a bag for them! : )

The rabbit poop has a lot of hay mixed in too... it should break down nicely before I can plant anything. Or I'll just dig it in.

I have an almost full worm bin too, but that will travel with me when I move. My worms have been quite happy this winter. My nephews LOVE to help out (they are 2 and 4). I keep coming across boxes filled with torn up paper... I guess when they are bored they make their own worm bins. It's great, they have such little fingers and are not squeamish... when it's time to separate the worms from the compost they are the best at picking out all the little tiny worm eggs and little worms!

*sigh* It's rainy and windy and cold here right now. At least all the snow got washed away...
Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annacharlotte
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008 07:57:04 PM »

Oof, I'm still deliberating.  Really want to think about spring, though, so it's a definite possibility.  Plus, I want to hang out with oneredboot some more, so that's a consideration, also.  Smiley  <<I'm sorry I'm a delinquent swap partner!  Thanks again for understanding.>>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Try a Twisted Half-Up Hairstyle for Homecoming
Try This Quick and Easy Braided Style for School
How to Create a Milkmaid Halo Plait Hairstyle
Try a Glam, Side Bun for Homecoming
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...