A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,537
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Here's an ethical green crafty question.  (Read 6208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazy4bags
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008 05:34:21 PM »

I have a lot of friends that know I like to repurpose clothing into bags etc ... so I get BAGS of clothes.  Some of it I have no use for in a crafting sense but I pass it on to my mom ... who may wear it, if she won't wear it she passes it a friend of hers... etc ... etc ... Maybe you should think of  a few connections to see if anyone somewhere along the line may wear it.  It may not be your taste but someone you know may love/need it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008 11:26:39 PM »

Well, the green mantra is to reduce, reuse, recycle, with reduce the most ethical and recycling the least.  So, obviously, we should all start going naked.  Next choice would be to reuse the clothes, or those parts that we want, and to recycle the remainder.

No, I don't want to go naked; I like my feathers and fringe and fancies too much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008 08:47:39 PM »

do both
strip what you want and will really reuse then take all the bits to the thrift and they will sort out the sellable and sell the remnants that you cut up as scrap
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radical
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008 07:20:08 PM »

I'm sure if the answer is "someone would LOVE to have this" then I think you have your answer.  Nice clothes at affordable prices are hard to come by, and folks can really use a great bargain these days. 

But if it's "just another used shirt" then I'd be inclined to turn it into buttons, stays, hotpads, cleaning rags, sachets, patches, or whathaveyou.  My daughter and I turned old shirts into hotpads for the table by sewing strips into tubes and filling them with rice, then hotgluing them into a circle.  She and her friends had a sewing party and turned several pairs of old jeans into purses and skirts and headbands.  There's lots you can do with the stuff that no one else really wants. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandervince

Wannabe craftster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008 03:55:41 PM »

I heard an interesting piece on This American Life (I think? or a similar radio show) which followed the journey of two items of clothing given to a thrift store in Seattle.  They were both rejected by the local store for minor flaws; one ended up being sold for recycling, the other sold to a bulk dealer who sold the clothes on to suppliers for African market stalls.  Neither one stayed in the US.

Whether that's green or not, I'm not sure.  On the one hand, there is all the transportation involved.  On the other, a synthetic textile was re-used in both cases.  I guess either way it's not in a landfill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009 09:08:03 PM »

Sadly, I think landfill is probably greener than being shipped by the tonne across the sea. Although some have pointed out that ships are pretty fuel efficient compared to planes. As for the ethics of making clothing available to those in majority world countries.. stained, ripped clothes... it depends... I wonder what price people ultimately pay for them, and who profits the most? Most sweatshop-made clothes come from majority world countries, but I don't know about Africa being a major source of those. It would be ironic if those making clothes for peanuts to send to rich countries bought the discarded remains at their local market.

I think that using parts of the clothing in the home is an excellent idea, if the clothing is not fabulous. Clothing can also be sold at local markets rather than given to op shops - I get rid of heaps of stuff that way that might not get used by an op shop, try a 50c or 20c or giveaway bin. I don't like most op shops - funding the Salvation Army's fundamentalist agenda? No thanks! Plus I don't think charities, especially religious ones, should doing the government's job of supporting the poor. (Yes, I believe in universal healthcare and welfare.)

If the clothing isn't petrochemical derived, then the fabric can be composted, too, which includes rayon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

42elefantes
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009 10:35:31 AM »

I tend to do a mix.  Reuse some things, give other items to friends, donate yet more (especially when I had plus-sized suits to unload because a lot of organizations are in desperate need of plus-sized work clothing).  I don't recall which poster it was, but the idea to store the clothing item as is (no cutting) is brilliant.  At least if it never materializes as a craft project I'll still have the option of giving away the piece of clothing in the future instead of finding myself with a hacked apart dress that only has the option of becoming salvage.

Clothing can also be sold at local markets rather than given to op shops - I get rid of heaps of stuff that way that might not get used by an op shop, try a 50c or 20c or giveaway bin.

I agree that this rids the individual of the object but the psychology of a cheap buy, particularly of a damaged good (I'm presuming at that price they must be or you'd sell for more), increases the likelihood that an item will end up in a landfill, if not directly by your own hands.

I don't like most op shops - funding the Salvation Army's fundamentalist agenda? No thanks! Plus I don't think charities, especially religious ones, should doing the government's job of supporting the poor. (Yes, I believe in universal healthcare and welfare.)

Ouch.  So if the government won't do it, no one should?  While I wouldn't want my donations funding programs I don't believe in, many of these organizations seem to believe themselves led to help the poor, homeless, etc. because of their religious beliefs but are not using donations or financing to indoctrinate others.  I wandered away from pre-build prayers in college when I was involved with Habitat for Humanity but, to the best of my knowledge, no one at that organization was forcing an agenda upon the recipients of their homes.  If you have information to the contrary on such organizations I'd love to hear it because I do attempt to make sure that my time and donations are not used to further things I do not believe in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wandajackson
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009 12:45:19 PM »

There's a great photo here of how you could do both, and for more than scrap, no less!  You could take what you need from them, then stitch them all up into these great flat rugs (not like rag rugs) - to keep, to sell, to donate...tons of options!
http://ecoble.com/2008/03/12/10-unusually-creative-ways-to-recycle-ordinary-objects/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009 03:47:45 PM »

There's a great photo here of how you could do both, and for more than scrap, no less!  You could take what you need from them, then stitch them all up into these great flat rugs (not like rag rugs) - to keep, to sell, to donate...tons of options!
http://ecoble.com/2008/03/12/10-unusually-creative-ways-to-recycle-ordinary-objects/

Awesome link. Thank you so much. I love the flat rug idea immensely as I use a lot of rugs in the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
sewverycreative
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010 02:30:01 PM »

Great thread!

Although I'm new to living green, I've been sidestepping S/Army and GoodWill for a few years now. Instead, if the clothing {or any item} is still in *good* wearable/usable condition {which happens a LOT with two quickly growing teens & a recent remodel}, I list it on Freecycle.Org.

{For those who might not know, FreeCycle is an online Yahoo group ~ it's broken up into cities/regions and the only real rules are that the items must be free}

FreeCycle appeals to me more, knowing that often, some people can't even afford GoodWill prices. Plus, I know that someone's going to get some good use out of it, and will pass it on ({if it's still in good condition when they're done} to someone else who really needs it!

My apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but didn't see that listed as an option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A DIY Guide to Healthy, Happy Cuticles
How to Buff Your Nails to a Perfect Shine Every Time
Cream Blush: The Simple Guide to Getting It Right
How to Make False Eyelashes Look Real
Make Your Lashes Smudge-Proof
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...