A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best cotton yarn?  (Read 2082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatyerhartout
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008 10:44:57 PM »

TLC Cotton Plus. Hands down. My absolute favorite, and available in some great colors!

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-coats-cotton-plus.html

51% cotton, 49% acrylic. Solids: 3.5 oz (100g) - Approx. 186 yd (170 m). Multis: 3 oz (85 g) - Approx. 155 yd (140 m). 4" =20 stitches on size 8 needles. Suggested crochet hook: H8. Dyelotted. Machine wash and dry

Fabulous stuff!

49% acrylic, does it block? I'm wanting to knit some lace tanks and tees and I really need a light weight cotton/cotton blend yarn for them. And being both poor and LARGE, it needs to be cheap too.

Cotton doesn't block like other natural fibers anyway. It often does not hold the changes made during blocking, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
LilMissPink
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008 10:17:28 AM »

thanks for all of the suggestions, im writing a list down right now  Cheesy

to make it more clear I want yarn that will allow me to get this type of fabric:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Riki
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008 08:19:59 PM »

crochet thread, the larger sizes, should do it - and I think it is pretty inexpensive as well. Got lots of gorgeous colors here in Thailand - but mostly cotton mix - want some?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008 02:48:39 PM »

yea ive been looking into mercerized cone yarns... they seem pretty worth the price... but it'll be a long wait before I can buy any at $10-20 a cone... maybe after I get good money working this summer I will be allowed to get a paypal/buy online! i hate being a teen, income is so limited  Roll Eyes

for the time being I guess I should head down to walmart/bargain bins at michaels for something decently suitable? but the thought of acrylic and summer is like  Tongue ive done it with baby yarn and it wasnt all that comfortable over 70 degrees (and under 70 isnt comfortable for tank tops!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Riki
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008 05:29:05 PM »

Hey, I'm heading to the US day after tomorrow - I'd be glad to mail you some of my crochet thread out of my stash - with my niece booking all my knitting with sweaters and stuff I doubt I'll ever be back to crocheting with thread again! What colors do you like? If you'd really like some, let me know, I'd be delighted to share - at no cost to you! (I well know what being on a budget is like!) PM me with you addy if you want it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008 10:23:23 AM »

I love crochet thread in size 3. It is inexpensive and knits up into a nicely drapey fabric. Despite stashing a couple of balls of sale-priced Senso, I've only ever used the Aunt Lydia's brand. My local source carries only four colors, but I've found the Bridal White takes dye very well with the Dylon cold dye available in the little packets. I only wish you could get it on cones like kitchen cotton.

I have also used size 10 crochet thread held double-stranded as a substitute. Two strands of size 10 is almost exactly the same as size 3 and you can use two different colors for a marled or tweedy effect.  Size 10 crochet thread seems to be the most common size of thread; I see it everywhere, including dirt-cheap in the thrift stores, and in lots of colors too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Holiday Party Hair Ideas
How to Get Volume in Your Hair for Christmas
Messy Braids Hairstyle: Backstage at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 Show
How to Do Retro Rockabilly Hair
How to Use Dry Shampoo
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...