A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make a "Stunt Double"  (Read 3740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WRock04
« on: March 06, 2008 10:51:48 AM »

I would like to make a duplicate for me (and for my daughter as well), but I have no idea how to go about it.  I have heard of people doing duct tape doubles of themselves, but I have no idea how to begin it. Does anyone know of a link or website that has how to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008 07:21:04 AM »

Use the Crafters search feature, it works very well. There are tutes here as well as links mentioned. I'd read all the commentaries before beginning as they can help you avoid some pitfalls along the way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PiratePiPi
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008 08:38:34 AM »

Being a tall person and somewhat challenged in the boob area, I can't find a decent body form either... so have had a bosh at making my own. I haven't had much luck with duct tape though, it's not a great method. However, I have a cunning plan...

Wearing old undies, vasaline your entire body. Use plaster of paris strips to make a body cast (the quick drying stuff is better - you should be free in about 15 - 30 minutes, instead of a couple of hours...). Cut the mold off, carefully. Use more POP to stick the mold back together, and seal the base. Once the mold is dry, use expanding spray foam to fill it, and allow to set, as per instructions. Fit to a base at the correct height, cover with a soft strechy fabric for pinning, and there you have it - a perfect body form!

However, I haven't had time to test this idea yet... I'll be doing it over Easter. If anyone gets a chance to try it first, please let me know how it goes! Otherwise, I'll post pics when I've done mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away."
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008 11:57:05 AM »

Be very careful molding yourself in plaster strips - obviously you will need help with this!  Be careful not to depend on cutting the plaster off - you can easily get trapped in it.  Please research making body casts before you attempt such a thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008 04:28:39 PM »

I've done the plaster body forms before, both on other & had others do my form. The disadvantage is in order for it to be thick enough to pull off without deforming it will add at least an inch or two to your overall size (albeit evenly if done well). Once removed from the body it is fragile. Filling it with foam would be cool but you'll either have plaster crumbly bits all over your sewing room forever (it will shed & crumble eternally) or you'll have to varnish it making it really hard & not able to stick pins in. Eh, I give it a 50/50 shot of being a form you'd like, which isn't really great.

The key to the tape forms is having a partner who is good at taping/ sewing & understand what you need in a dress form.

Oh and saran wrap is much kinder to the body than vaseline.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008 04:49:11 PM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PiratePiPi
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008 03:10:48 AM »

The generally idea is to fill the plaster mold with expanding foam then remove the cast, so you get an exact replica ofyour body, rather than one that's a couple of inches bigger. Sorry - I probably wasn't being particularly clear.

I'm not sure if you mean the same thing as me by expanding foam though... I'm talking about the stuff you use to repair holes in walls etc. Comes in a can from Homebase, and dries to a hard varnished finish, so no crumbly bits anywhere. It's also seriously light, so you have an amazingly portable form.

Another (nicer, but vastly more expensive) option might be to use a setting latex gel mix to fill the mold. I've seen some brilliant replicas produced using that, but it's pretty expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away."
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008 07:18:51 AM »

I would do a practice piece (something quick & easy like a ball) to try out the foam- I'm pretty sure it's designed to bond really well to whatever it comes in contact with. It may not release from your mold no matter what you put in the mold :/ I was a sculpture major in college, a guy I knew attempted some projects with that foam- was an awful mess....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewandsox
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008 04:20:35 PM »

Here's a tutorial showing how to make one using duct tape.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jen

++++++

My blog: http://sewandsox.blogspot.com
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008 11:35:40 AM »

you know, I have a duct tape double, but I haven't stuffed it yet, because I don't know what to put it on!  like a stand!!  I'd love one of the knobbed stands like the old time dummies, but I have no clue where to find one! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008 02:44:50 PM »

A lot of people like grabbing one of the fire hazard torch lights out of the dumpster.  They have a good heavy base an a tall enough pole to run the pole all the way up to the neck, use a hacksaw to trim it to length. Smiley Throw away the bad wiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 8/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 29/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 6/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 3/29
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...