A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: international shipping options??  (Read 614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ksew
« on: March 06, 2008 07:26:36 AM »

I do vaguely remember a thread here about shipping orders, but I did a search and came up with nada, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place..
anyway, I have a big international shipping dilema! My packages weigh about 4-5lb each, and it costs anywhere from $25, to $40 to ship a package outside the US. (via USPS).. my problem is that once the package arrives at the customers nearest Post Office, it's usually held until they go there to pick it up and pay a large customs fee, and a discharge fee. All in all, the shipping for the buyer is coming out to be absolutely outrageous, something like $90-$100. This is insane, and I'm going to lose my international buyers if I don't come up with a solution.

I know that if you mark a package as a gift there will be no fee on their end, but I can't do that, so there just has to be another alternative. Any suggestions?? All help is greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeadSpinner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008 08:44:51 AM »

UPS and FedEx ship internationally.

You should check into those as alternatives.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008 08:57:17 AM »

Yes they also are more expensive to ship on our end, and charge a customs fee to the recipient as well.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008 09:12:16 AM »

This has been discussed before.  Try searching "international shipping" in current board only.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=41564.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=59745.0;all
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45517.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=165204.msg1680815#msg1680815
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008 01:53:37 PM »

thanks for the links! they're great, but I still can't figure out how to understand how much the fees will be, etc.. it seems to be a big mystery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 02:00:28 PM »

The customs fees?  That's up to your buyer to know.  You're not in charge of that so don't worry about it.  (If you will worry about it you can put a disclaimer about it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

False_desire

A one woman jewellery workshop...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008 10:06:11 AM »

Sometimes I have to buy things from the US, simply because they don't sell them in my country so I have no other choice. Unfortunately customs don't take that into account... Last year I bought two things on ebay, saved a tiny bit on combined postage and then unfortunately got stuck with a huge customs bill. I used to buy these separately and not pay any customs charges. I thought afterwards (and if I buy more of these, this is what I will do) that I should have got two separate parcels sent. The small bit of extra postage would have been considerably less than the money I had to pay customs.

I know this probably sounds a bit stupid, but is it possible to send the item in two packages? (you can explain why you are doing this to the customer, who probably won't mind if it saves them money). You could then still give them the option to have it in one, but then it's their choice if they want to pay extra. This wouldn't work if the cost of half your product is still over the customs threshold, so it depends I guess.

Although it is correct that customs fees are up to the buyer, if I want to buy something slightly expensive from abroad I usually think about the customs charge which which stops me from buying, but that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Joe Brenman on Creating Murals
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Paintings by Ed Bronstein
How to Carve a Drawing on Wood
Meet Baybayin Artist Ameurfina Nazario
Latest Blog Articles
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...