A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a millefiori paperweight with fused glass?  (Read 1073 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phish
« on: March 06, 2008 06:28:26 AM »

I thought millefiori paperweights were made with blown glass.  I'm starting to learn fused glass and I found a fused glass paperweight mold on Delphi's site.  Has anyone ever made a millefiori paperweight with fused glass?  How did it turn out?  Any tips you can pass on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taalfaro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008 11:40:22 AM »

Typically millefiori paperweights are worked in a flame or can be blown.  I've used the paperweight mold from Delphi and my only warning is that the clear glass will not come out like you think.  It will be cloudy or could even discolor.  If you want the millefiori to stand out, I would put them along the bottom of the mold and then load up the rest of the mold with glass - black would be good.  I will also caution you that you may have to keep adding glass to the mold as the process goes along.  As the glass melts, it will shrink and you will end up with a small paperweight.   The top of the paperweight will not be shiny as it sits in the mold on the kiln wash.  You will want your kilnwash to be really smooth -  use a pair of pantyhose after putting on the kiln wash to remove any brush strokes.  You may want to consider fire polishing the paperweight after you are done to get that shiny look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tracey Alfaro
Four Paws Glass
top-of-the-hill
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008 08:58:22 AM »

the other major problem that comes to mind is that the COE of most millefiori sold commercially is typically much higher than fusible glass.  Actually I suspect they are higher than what most glassblowers use.  I think glassblowers can get away with this difference in expansion by the very small proportion of incapatable glass compaired to the amount of clear glass.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008 09:26:05 PM »

I think most millefiori I have seen was COE 96, but I thought Delphi had COE 90, too.

Other than that - you might settle for stacking clear glass with millefiori and then doing a full-fuse... if it's high enough, you should get some sort of paperweight, without the mold impression.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
David Menasche: What Are You Reading?
Trailers: X-Men: No More Humans Trailer
My First Book Became A Lifetime Movie
Author And Mom Describes How Divorce Led To Her Steamy Memoir
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...