A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Even more pics! ~7 batches of soap = I'm tired!  (Read 11447 times)
Tags for this thread: soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2008 11:47:31 PM »

I hadn't made any soap in quite a while, and I had a few issues since apparently I'm out of a few ingredients. I had to run out and get more olive and castor, then after I got home realized I was low on coconut too! I re-formulated a couple recipes and made do though!

I'm now tired but content that I got a lot done! Here are some kind of ugly in-the-mold pics, will post more when I cut. 2 of the batches were naughty and I had to put them outside for a couple hours on the front porch, they just now were allowed back in the house. They started superheating and were doing a kinda cracking in the middle thing that I wasn't happy with, but outside cooled them off nicely. Sorry for the reflection off the saran wrap!

Clockwise from top right:

1.) Oats n Honey. Scented lightly with Oats and Honey FO, ground oats and honey. Uncolored, but is already a rich amber color from the honey.

2.) Almond Joy. Scented with coconut and almond FO's, colored with a swirl of cocoa powder, and contains 15% cocoa butter.

3.) Black Raspberry Vanilla.  BRV FO (dead-on B&BW dupe), cranberry seeds for visual interest and slight exfoliation, swirled with ultramarine pink pigment.

4.) Pink Grapefruit Confetti Soap (in the vertical mold). Pink grapefruit fragrance, neon red pigment (used sparingly to get pink), and a lb of dried shreds beveled from other soaps in various colors and fragrances (fruit and floral fragranced). BTW, I do not recommend doing a confetti soap in a vertical mold. What was I thinking? It was so hard to get in there, I made a massive mess(that's why it's sitting in a container, I didn't really want raw soap dripping down the sides onto the counter or carpet)!

5.) Dragon's Blood. Dragon's blood FO with a little dark patchouli EO thrown in. Uncolored, but since the FO discolors to a super dark brown/sometimes black (depending on how strongly you fragrance it) I do a reverse swirl, and hold back 1/3 of the batch and add the fragrance to the rest, then swirl in the portion that is plain. That way I get a bit of a white swirl instead of a totally dark soap.

6.) Spring Rain confetti soap. Spring rain fragrance, jojoba beads in pink, blue and green, and lots of soap shreds in various colors (various fruit and floral fragrances)

7.) My Shea Luxury soap (30% shea butter!), this time I added some liquid silk (Ladybug Soapworks' post kinda reminded me I'd never used the silk I bought a while ago!) It's scented with Lavender Provence EO, Bulgarian Lavender EO, and Lavender Fleur FO (smells like sweet tarts!) uncolored

The "overflow" bars

Cut bars~

Almond Joy and Shea Luxury

Dragon's Blood--the outside has already discolored, but the newly cut part is still white...will take more pics as it darkens

Dragon's Blood and Spring Rain

Spring Rain Confetti--I LOVE how this turned out, my new favorite bar! And it smells sooooo good!

Black Raspberry Vanilla

Pink Grapefruit Confetti~this one turned out cool too, I love the shreds of blue!

Oats n Honey~somehow I think I got a partial gel on this one...it's a puzzler, in a honey soap???

Putting the babies to bed in their curing rack!

The bottom row is the dragon's blood...that's how much it's already discolored in 2 days (since cutting)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008 05:56:41 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008 06:06:56 AM »

I've never tried to make soap before so I have no idea how much time effort and cost goes into it, but I would say by looking at your picture it must be a great undertaking.  Also, I noticed you had a goal this month!  Congratulations on meeting and exceeding it.  How many bars will all of that make?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008 07:05:05 AM »

OH! I bet everything turns out wonderfully! You do great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
3littlechicks
Mom to minions

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008 09:14:35 AM »

OOOOOO! I want to try making soap so bad! 

Those scents sound like heaven! Especially the dragonsblood and spring rain, but all of them sound wonderful. I can't wait to see the cut bars....yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008 11:06:56 AM »

Lets see...132 bars from those molds, and then about 20 more from "overflow" that I put into individual molds. I "usually" get my recipes ready the night before, line my molds (that takes more than an hour) and check my ingredients inventory the night before, but I didn't, so it took me darn near all day. Usually it takes me about 4 hrs start to finish to make 6 batches though. But you know, make a batch, check craftster, make a batch...

I decided if I didn't write down my goals I would never get them done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gigiallin
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 06:15:45 PM »

Impressive! You have a much stronger work ethic than I do. I only managed to make two batches yesterday.
I can't wait to see your confetti soaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008 06:42:51 PM »

Yeah, but that's pretty much ALL I did all day!  Grin  I figure if I am gonna drag out all my supplies I gotta make it worth my while! I just cut the spring rain confetti soap, and I love it so much! Pictures later!

What did you make gigiallin?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008 06:43:11 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skellerz
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008 07:46:17 PM »

While I'm thinking about it, how much to procure a couple of those 30% shea butter lavender bars for meself?  They sound scrumptious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008 07:51:54 PM »

I'll probably have them in my swap the shop next month!   I cut them earlier, running out the door to the movies but will post pics when I get home. Although, they smell a little funky right now because of the silk protein, some things you use as additives smell funny at first, like ammonia-gross (milk, coffee, apparently silk!) but the weird smell goes away during the cure. My kitchen coffee scrub I made with coffee and coffee grounds stunk for months, now you can only smell coffee and the orange essential oil I used in it. I almost threw the whole batch away because I thought the ammonia smell would never leave! Glad I didn't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skellerz
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008 08:19:43 PM »

You'll have to let me know when you put them up.
I glanced at that shop the swap link in your profile and I don't really get it, but we'll cross that bridge when you put that amazingly awesome soap up for grabs :p

Quick question for the poor college student's knowledge:
Do you find making your own soaps cheaper or more expensive than store-bought?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Biggest Fall Fashion Trends
DIY Cut Off Denim Shorts
Luxury Lounge-Wear for Less: Cozy Up in Style and on a Budget
ABC Family and Wet Seal Collaborate on Clothes
Style Sound-Off: Lea Michele, Naya Rivera, and Selena Gomez
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...