A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Even more pics! ~7 batches of soap = I'm tired!  (Read 11701 times)
Tags for this thread: soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008 11:42:57 AM »

How did you make the confetti soap? 

I don't use a mitre box- when I say I hand cut them I really mean it!  I just use my biggest kitchen knife and a measuring stick.  My FIL made my wooden soap mold for me- it's a big square (don't remember the dims off the top of my head).  I could easily ask him to make other boxes for me.  Perhaps a rectangular shape would make more sense.  I wonder if either dh or fil would make me a cutting system.  Hmmm...a mitre box would probably be a good start!  (funny thing is that I've been making soap for about 10 years now...you think I would have come up with a better system by now!) Wink
Astrid

For a mold that holds a 3 lb oil batch of soap, I made up the 2 lb oil batch and added a full pound of shreds (they were really well cured) at trace and mixed them in pretty well so they all got fresh soap on them (I was a little worried about separation).

I cut mine soooo crooked I had to get the mitre box! I like my molds to be the same width as my soaps so I just have to cut them one way (and can throw them into my soap cutter). My 3 24-bar molds are a little different, they are 15 inches long and 4 inches wide and 3 1/2  inches high....so I have to cut them into 6 chunks and then turn the chunks around to cut for the width of the soap bar to get the size soap I want.

I got one mold from a friend that her husband made with a really cool design, it has a bottom platform that slides out and a cutter built into the side that is 1 inch away from the end piece of the mold, which is removable, so you take that end off, and pull the platform out and keep cutting at 1 inch on the built in guide. I'm sure that makes no sense lol! I would use it more but it is the wrong dimensions for what I like my bars to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008 06:38:34 PM »

I am so jealous of your skills!  I can smell the ALmond Joy just looking at it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IchigoHeaven
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008 08:53:56 PM »

wow i bet your house smells awesome !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008 09:06:40 PM »

wow i bet your house smells awesome !
It kind of does, especially the laundry room where my curing racks are! Right now the almond is super overpowering everything else, and there is a yummy almondy-smell going on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008 04:56:51 PM »

. Usually it takes me about 4 hrs start to finish to make 6 batches though.

Have you ever 'master batched'??

It makes the process go so much faster.  I make 10# of soap per fragrance, will put up 2 to 9 batches a day from Fri - Sun (90 bars per day) and be done with it for a few weeks.  It takes me  about half hour from start to finish.

Master batching works if you use the same oils for you recipe each time.  I weigh the oils for for about 60-80#, mix the oils well and store in covered buckets.  When I'm ready to soap, I take out my molds (I use Kelsei divider molds so there is no cutting involved), take out the EO or FO, the colorants, the lye and frozen milk.  Stir up the bucket of oil, weigh out what I need for the total batch (the individual oils being already weighed and mixed).  Warm them up a bit, weigh out my frozen milk and lye.  wambo-bambo, soap is ready to pour into mold and put to bed.

ETA:

You can 'master batch' even it you don't save the oil in between making the soap.  Instead of weighing up your soap recipe oils 6 different times, weigh up your oils for the entire 6 batches at once, then when mixed well, you can weigh out out the total oil for your individual batches.  Sure cuts the time!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008 08:11:14 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008 06:45:12 PM »

Master batching works if you use the same oils for you recipe each time.  I weigh the oils for for about 60-80#, mix the oils well and store in covered buckets.  When I'm ready to soap, I take out my molds (I use Kelsei divider molds), take out the EO or FO, the colorants, the lye and frozen milk.  Stir up the bucket of oil, weigh out what I need for the total batch (the individual oils being already weighed and mixed).  Warm them up a bit, weigh out my frozen milk and lye.  wambo-bambo, soap is ready to pour into mold and put to bed.

ETA:

You can 'master batch' even it you don't save the oil in between making the soap.  Instead of weighing up your soap recipe oils 6 different times, weigh up your oils for the entire 6 batches at once, then when mixed well, you can weigh out out the total oil for your individual batches.  Sure cuts the time!

Hmm sounds interesting, but do you just melt your hard oils and add them to your liquid oils and mix it all together? I do room temp soaping, and don't take temps of anything anymore or heat my oils to start with, so not sure how this would work for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008 07:43:17 AM »

Hmm sounds interesting, but do you just melt your hard oils and add them to your liquid oils and mix it all together? I do room temp soaping, and don't take temps of anything anymore or heat my oils to start with, so not sure how this would work for me.

It works wonderfully for RT soaping, but you have to modify your method just a tad.

Let's say you want to make 6 - 3# batches of soap this weekend.  You have a bit of time tonight to check you have all your ingredients, mmm, let's use a basic recipe for this example

30% olive
30% lard
30% coconut
5% shea butter
5% sweet almond

you have the ingredients needed and you have a bit of time to weigh them out, so:

30% olive = 86.4 oz
30% lard  = 86.4 oz
30% coconut = 86.4 oz
5% shea butter = 14.4 oz
5% sweet almond = 14.4 oz

Weigh the oils, melt the lard, coconut & shea, add the liquid oils.  Stir well, pour into large bucket with a lid.

Come the weekend, you want to make soap, but don't have time to fragrance, color, blah-blah 6 separate soaps, but you do have time for 3!

Grab your master batch bucket, stir & weigh out 3# of master batch ( or weigh up 3 - 3# of master batch in 3 separate containers.  Mix up your lye solution for a single 3# batch (12oz - 17.8oz liquid with 6.8oz lye), pour into your master batched oils and proceed as normal.

You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be able to soap!  Instead of weighing out each oil separately for each batch, you can weigh the total weight of the oils needed

By setting up your oils ahead of time, you weigh the individual oils only once, than the total oils needed once again for soaping.

Using the recipe for this example, instead of weighing the oils 30 times (each of 5 oils for 6 batches), you'll weigh the oils only 11 times (each of 5 oils once for master batch, then once for each of the 6 batches).

I don't  do RT soaping since I only make milk soaps and I have to keep my raw milk and lye as cold as possible - so cold that the lye solution doesn't stand a chance melting the hard oils - but I still use the master batch of oils to save time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008 08:09:30 AM »

Something else you might want to consider to save time is to master batch your lye solution.

I only recommend this IF:

YOU DON'T HAVE CHILDREN/DH/ROOMMATE/ANIMALS AROUND THAT COULD ACCIDENTALLY GET INTO THE LYE SOLUTION

This is based on using a specific gravity of lye solution for your recipes.
Let's say you always use 30% of your total oil amount for the amount of liquid to use to disperse your lye.  This is a 32% lye saturation, meaning your lye solution consists of 32% lye and 68% liquid.

Using the example recipe in previous post, for a 3# batch of oils, you would use 14.4 oz of liquid and 6.8 oz of lye (5% lye discount or superfatted) or 21.2 total weight of lye solution.

Mix up a master batch of lye solution using the 32% lye saturation.  To make things easy, let's say you will be storing 100 oz of lye solution.  Weigh up 32 oz of lye and add to 68 oz of liquid.  Keep covered with tight lid, mark container very well, store in an area were folks/animals will be safe from it.

When you want to soap, simply stir & weigh out your 48 oz of master batched oils and stir and weigh 21.2 oz of master batched lye solution and you're ready to go! 

Of course you will have to gently heat the oils to get them melted, so no RT soaping but the time savings is fantastic!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008 08:13:53 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008 11:30:48 AM »

Cool beans, and fab explanation. I just may have to try that one of these days! It would save me time not only in weighing the oils, but in dragging them out and putting them away, since I store them in a different room than I soap in.

Oh, and mullerslanefarm~I was checking out your website, and I love your swirls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008 11:40:49 AM »

Thanks MareMare,  I really hope you get a chance to use this technique.  I hated having to drag out and put away oils.

The swirls are done in the mold.  I use a slab mold from kelsei's creations. http://www.kelseiscreations.com/page3.html.  I see Rita is having a sale on them now (only $5 off, but $5 is $5!)

Cool beans, and fab explanation. I just may have to try that one of these days! It would save me time not only in weighing the oils, but in dragging them out and putting them away, since I store them in a different room than I soap in.

Oh, and mullerslanefarm~I was checking out your website, and I love your swirls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David McCullough Wishes He Had This Talent
Frank Lipman Talks About Spent
Meet Author Sandra Brown
Davy Rothbart Reveals Who He Admires Most
Meet Author Amy Wechsler
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...