A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,200
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Even more pics! ~7 batches of soap = I'm tired!  (Read 12960 times)
Tags for this thread: soap , cp_soap , cold_process_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008 11:45:50 PM »

Hmm good question. Considering start-up costs and whatnot, it's not really cheaper to make my own soaps, but a couple years ago when I was keeping records and making in massive quantites (so buying ingredients in massive quantities!) I figured out that I could make a bar of soap for about $0.53. Olive oil has gone up a lot in recent years, as well as everything else so I'm sure it's a lot more now.  But I still sell quite a bit of it, so re-coup some of my ingredient costs that way. If just for my personal use it definitely would have been cheaper to keep buying bars of handmade soap from the Saturday Market, but.... Grin

I'll send you a pm when that batch is cured and we can personal swap or work something out  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
lilyla19
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008 03:17:30 AM »

it looks so lively...

now I want to go into soap-making
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wild petunia
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008 04:25:38 AM »

WOW!  Your soaps are gorgeous and yummy!  Smiley

I haven't made any soap since Christmas (friends and family beg for soap as gifts).  Where did you get your rectangular box molds and your cutter?  I've been handcutting my soaps for years and it's down right annoying!  Perhaps it's time to invest in a better system!

Astrid
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008 06:56:32 AM »

I'll send you a pm when that batch is cured and we can personal swap or work something out  Wink

Sounds good and thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008 06:59:15 AM »

WOW!  Your soaps are gorgeous and yummy!  Smiley

I haven't made any soap since Christmas (friends and family beg for soap as gifts).  Where did you get your rectangular box molds and your cutter?  I've been handcutting my soaps for years and it's down right annoying!  Perhaps it's time to invest in a better system!

Astrid

Thanks! I do love my cutter! It's from For Crafts Sake, super expensive, but I bought it at a Soaper's gathering off of another soaper for a much cheaper price.  http://www.forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_9&products_id=24&zenid=295d615e8832ec3098c1b2b518a27788  I also got my vertical mold from there, indirectly through another soaper. And they have awesome little bevelers!

Unfortunately none of the sources that I got my various molds from are still in business! 2 I had specially made for me, and have lost touch with that person, and the others have either formally closed their business or their websites have disappeared! I would do a general search until you can find some that are the dimensions you want at a reasonable price. Unless you know someone with wood working skills you can pay to custom make some! Not that I need any more molds right now, but I was thinking the other day (when looking at a sad little box I mad in junior high shop, that I just realized would be the perfect size for a mold) that if you know what design/dimensions you want you might be able to get some made through a high school shop! Either knowing a student or talking to the shop teacher! High schoolers always need cash, right?

Do you use a mitre box to help with the handcutting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3littlechicks
Mom to minions

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008 07:25:59 AM »

Hmm good question. Considering start-up costs and whatnot, it's not really cheaper to make my own soaps, but a couple years ago when I was keeping records and making in massive quantites (so buying ingredients in massive quantities!) I figured out that I could make a bar of soap for about $0.53. Olive oil has gone up a lot in recent years, as well as everything else so I'm sure it's a lot more now.  But I still sell quite a bit of it, so re-coup some of my ingredient costs that way. If just for my personal use it definitely would have been cheaper to keep buying bars of handmade soap from the Saturday Market, but.... Grin

Put me on your list too, for when that dragonsblood and spring rain cure Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008 05:58:36 PM »

The last 3 batches were finally hard enough to cut, so I updated pics and tried to take better ones this time! The pink grapefruit confetti one was still actually really soft, that was the batch that didn't have any coconut. We'll see how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008 03:45:22 PM »

Those are so fantastic!!! They all look beautiful, especially the swirls and confetti, and sound like they smell great!  Smiley

I love how the Dragon's Blood changes colors- how dark do you think it will get?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008 04:43:47 PM »

Those are so fantastic!!! They all look beautiful, especially the swirls and confetti, and sound like they smell great!  Smiley

I love how the Dragon's Blood changes colors- how dark do you think it will get?

Thanks! It depends on how much fragrance I add (usually 1/2 oz to 1 oz per pound of base oils) but at the higher end I've had parts of them actually turn black! I did 4 oz of fragrance for 6 lbs of base oils for this batch, so I think it will just get dark brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wild petunia
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008 11:14:00 AM »

How did you make the confetti soap? 

I don't use a mitre box- when I say I hand cut them I really mean it!  I just use my biggest kitchen knife and a measuring stick.  My FIL made my wooden soap mold for me- it's a big square (don't remember the dims off the top of my head).  I could easily ask him to make other boxes for me.  Perhaps a rectangular shape would make more sense.  I wonder if either dh or fil would make me a cutting system.  Hmmm...a mitre box would probably be a good start!  (funny thing is that I've been making soap for about 10 years now...you think I would have come up with a better system by now!) Wink
Astrid
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seared Chicken Breast with Candied Carrots
Homemade French Fries
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
How To Cook a Turkey
The History of Pumpkin Pie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...