A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home?  (Read 5882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LSpice
« on: March 05, 2008 09:52:47 PM »

There's nothing like waiting till the last minute...

So, my hometown is Mount Juliet, TN.  I moved there in 7th grade, but I never felt it was home until 9th grade.  That was the year I joined the marching band.  Band helped me connect with the town I have come to appreciate.

I am now a music major at JSU in Jacksonville, AL.  Again, it is the marching band that connected me to my school and community (and my fiance.)  The Marching Southerners became my family away from family.

So the home I'm representing is marching band.  I've worn 3 band uniforms over the years (1 in high school, 2 at JSU).  I miniaturized them and painted them on little wooden gingerbread men.  I enjoyed this immensely and now the fiance is insisting I recreate his uniforms too.  (We're dorks like that. Smiley)

I included real people versions of the uniforms.  I hope you enjoy...this is my first project post, so I'm all nervous.  Cheesy

I wanted to add some "action shots." (aka...I made the boy pose with one of them, you know, for scale)

(the copy with its original)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008 12:28:57 PM by LSpice » THIS ROCKS   Logged
StoryFromTheStars
Everyone wears a mask.

I made mine, with lots of glitter and shinies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 10:08:55 PM »

I like the first one the most, probably because it reminds me of the uniform I wore in highschool Marching band.
I was in the pit too! YAY mallet players!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Purtty Blog
Knitting is a way of life.
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 11:11:30 PM »

Wow your high school had enough money for uniforms? That's so cool. I played bass in the concert/marching band and we got sweatshirts. lol.

Great job on representing the band kids, I know what you mean about feeling connected through the marching band, it's its own family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
jsumonkeygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008 05:11:45 AM »

BLOW SOUTHERNERS!  I am a JSU grad, and I LOVE the Southerners. But I was really stupid and didn't march in college... Sad

The uniforms are super cute! You did a really nice job making them look "real"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008 06:05:31 AM »

Band geeks unite!

I loved marching band!  When people ask where I met my husband, I usually say "this one time, at band camp"  And its true!  I was a flag and he was bari sax/bass drum.  Good times!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSpice
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 11:56:32 AM »

BLOW SOUTHERNERS!  I am a JSU grad, and I LOVE the Southerners. But I was really stupid and didn't march in college... Sad

The uniforms are super cute! You did a really nice job making them look "real"!

Yay JSU! I'm glad you think they look real enough...since you would have seen them in person! Smiley

Band geeks unite!

I loved marching band!  When people ask where I met my husband, I usually say "this one time, at band camp"  And its true!  I was a flag and he was bari sax/bass drum.  Good times!

Marching band is the place to find a husband! I was in the pit and my fiance was/is a trumpet player (but I love him anyway  Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpunSugar

I'm off to see the wizard!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008 01:18:35 PM »

Yay Band Kids!  I love your little uniforms!  I was in marching band here in Colorado and band is totally what made me feel at home after moving here my sophomore year.  I was in color guard and played clarinet, and my husband marched for our rivals as a drummer.  It must be one of those things that totally stays with you, because I still teach high school color guard, my husband teaches percussion AND we run an independent winter guard program!! (Yay WGI!)

Oh, and my maid of honor at our wedding this past summer started her speech with, "This one time, at band camp..."  lol!  It was hilarious because it was true! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~The Craftster Formerly Known as SaphireFaerie~
krissyanne

Mmmmmmm...crafty goodness

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 09:56:21 AM »

I love this idea!  Way to honor the band.  I moved halfway through my 10th grade year and joined the band at my new school in 11th grade.  I met some of my closest friends and my first boyfriend through the band, and created wonderful memories that I still treasure.  Thanks for the wonderful project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008 07:44:56 PM »

Yes band geeks unite!
Marching band was the best time in my life!
I have never been more proud of myself and my band pals.
I played clarinet (and still have it) then twirled flag in color guard 11th and 12th grade.  Our winter guard won state!! 
AHHHH the memories....

Amazing detail on your uniforms PERFECT!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
urbanchic1212
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008 05:41:02 PM »

wow thats great they look amazing. i can relate band is a second home epecially during marching season im actually in colorguard but this looks cool a great gift or whatever. props
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blue Cheese Pizza Recipe
Food Festivals Survival Guide
How to Make Homemade Apple Sauce
How to Roast Chestnuts
Chipotle Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...