A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,939
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Wild and Wonderful Home (Lewisburg, WV)  (Read 6122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nightal1031
« on: March 05, 2008 07:01:06 PM »

OOOOKAY. First of all, I really didn't have time to make this, but I am super homesick this week (I'm going to school in south carolina), and I had to do it (even though I have midterms this week... ack!)

I am from Lewisburg, West Virginia. It is the county seat of Greenbrier County, and was founded by General Andrew Lewis in 1751. Lewisburg is a small town (though large by my end of the state's standards) with a population of about 3500 people. The thing about Greenbrier County is that the towns are really small, so you know almost everyone not only in your town, but in the towns around you, and each part of the towns around you are part of your own town's identity.
Lewisburg is a very arts-influenced town. We have a Carnegie Hall Smiley (one of my second homes), a black box theater, and one of the few Ostheopathic medicine schools in the country.
My favorite part of Lewisburg is the large lawn shared by the community college and carnegie hall, just a few blocks from my house, where everyone goes to enjoy a nice day. Smiley
We are stuck in a valley in the Appalachian Mountains, and sit on the Greenbrier River, and host the State Fair of West Virginia every August.

For my project, I wanted to show elements of my hometown (kind of area) and tie them together with one large element.
Here's what I came up with:

Details:

These three (right to left) are the symbol for the dance company I was in when I lived at home (Trillium), a rhododendron flower, which is the state flower of West Virginia, (this has special meaning to me, we have a huge one in our front lawn that blooms every spring, it used to signal that it was about time for school to let out and summer to begin Smiley ), and the spring house at the Greenbrier Hotel. The Greenbrier is a 4 star resort that employs most of Greenbrier County. We can't afford to stay there :S but we do go and walk around the grounds because they are so beautiful and the food is excellent  Cheesy.

The final two images (again, right to left) are a ginko leaf and a corinthian column. In the college yard that I mentioned earlier, there is a huge ginko tree that I have always sat under, no matter the weather or the day. It is my favorite tree in the world, and coming from a huge outdoor freak like I am, that is a big deal Smiley. The corinthian column symbolizes Carnegie Hall, which funds the arts in my community and made my love for art grow. They have an art day camp for younger kids that I used to go to, and then I volunteered teaching there. I learned how to weave, throw clay, cook, print, collage, paper mache... it was endless and amazing.

Suprise! the letters turn over to spell...

Lewisburg West Virginia Smiley

The top of the mobile (I guess it would be a mobile?) Is cardboard, that I painted to look like mountains. The New River Gorge Bridge is in between two of the mountains. Okay, technically, the bridge isn't that close to my hometown (about 50 miles away), but it is a symbol for homecoming for me (I drive over it to get home) and is one of the most beautiful places in West Virginia. I couldn't resist, and I wanted a way to represent my love for the river. Smiley
I wrote on there "My Wild and Wonderful Home." This is a play on a saying on signs here "Wild and Wonderful West Virginia"
The strings that connect the pictures to the mountains are Blue, Red, Orange, Burgundy, and Gold. Blue and Gold stand for the state colors, and red, orange, and burgundy are colors that remind me of fall, my favorite season in West Virginia.

Smiley I hope you liked it, I didn't get to spend that much time thinking about it because I have midterms and a project to finish by the end of the week. :S

P.s. wow, i just previewed this, and the photography is horrible... i'm sorry, I'm in a very small dorm room and the door was the only blank place to take a picture of it. :S the colors are a lot better IRL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
LaLaHappy

giggle. it's good for you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 07:15:28 PM »

I have been to Lewisburg! It was about 11 years ago. I was only there overnight but I really enjoyed it. It is in a beautiful area of the country.  I love the artwork on your mobile and how they turn around to spell Lewisburg. It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I have wists too!
...and personal swap friendly.
nightal1031
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 07:19:38 PM »

hehe Smiley its nice to know someone knows it! you picked a great place to stay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008 07:01:13 AM »

Sweet!  I love West Virginia, and those painted disks are really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scienceissexy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008 09:10:56 PM »

Good job with the mobile. I love West Virginia. I've never been to a state that is so wide open and geninuely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riverwatson
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008 07:27:26 AM »

I vacation in Gilmer county (Rural with a capital R) and I too LOVE west virginia. I love it so much i switched my major from cross-cultural psychology to appalachian psychology! I love this so much, i think i'm going to make one for my buddy Sara for her birthday (her family is from Glenville, another town where everybody knows everybody!) Can you believe that she has never been to the New River Gorge? can you say roadtrip? I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Smoker Box
How to Cook Pork Ribs
How to Make a Herb Garden
How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...