A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My rose/masquerade wedding -- New photos on page 5  (Read 17210 times)
Tags for this thread: coffee_filter , rose , wedding_bouquet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Raine_Dementia
« on: March 05, 2008 05:48:36 PM »

Whee! Okay, some of you have probably already seen this photos, but I'm just copying all the ones I've previously posted on this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=134959.0

So, here are my ideas so far. First off, I will be using a lot of coffee filter roses as decorations. I'm not sure whether they will be table bouquets or just vines strung up and wound around the wooden supports at our reception hall. Here are the first two I made:

Any suggestions on what to do with these lovely things would be much appreciated. I'm still thinking of using real flowers in my bouquet, though my fiancee says I should go with the paper ones as their more unique. My problem is I love the smell of real flowers too much.

Instead of the traditional veil, I decided to go with a mask. A veil hides and protects a person, whereas a mask is something we make, and something we put on to shape the way the world sees us.

For a mask, I have two ideas. Now, my mom is also on this forum and she's making the mask so any tips you folks can offer would be great. Our first idea was something like this, done in black wire:

http://18thcenturycorsets.smugmug.com/gallery/41788_XwTWv

I've managed to figure out that the way she makes these is some kind of knit/crochet done with wire, and my mom has attempted this once but no real results yet, as the wire she has is too thick.

My other thought, as I have been obsessed with the movie Labyrinth since age 8 and can by now recite pretty much the entire script by heart, was a leather mask something along the lines of the masks offered by:

http://www.angel-mask.com/movindex.htm

The design I like best was on another site, but I don't remember the address anymore.
For a wedding cake, since we're both gamers and play d&d a lot, I'm thinking of using some kind of mini, like the ones here:

http://www.reapermini.com/

I thought I might do the cake to look like a d&d map, for those that play think the GameMastery style maps, the ones you battle on not like the maps of Faerun. It's that or a castle or some such. I was hoping to have us at the top, and minis for the rest of the bridal "party" (pardon the pun) on the lower levels of the cake.

As for wedding favors, I've bought 144 tiny glass bottles off ebay, and some aged parchment paper to make little scrolls, as well as some leftover black sand that never made it into our lizard tank.

Well, that's all for now. If I get time, I'll have pictures of the wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses as well. For now, if it helps anyone, the bridesmaids are in black and white, and the dress is an off white.

UPDATE: Check out page 5 for my new tiny roses! Here's a preview:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008 08:52:21 PM by Raine_Dementia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
Tarewyn
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 05:55:56 PM »

I don't have any brilliant idea for the mask, but I have to say those paper flowers are incredible!  I love them just sitting around in mason jars ( though I understand you may want something a little more formal for a wedding)  Can you mix them with real flowers for your bouquet?

I think they are just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 06:03:46 PM »

That is beautiful. I thought they were really, I probably would have bet money on them being real.

Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 06:28:06 PM »

Whee!  I can't wait to see the rest of your creations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
zarafa
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 06:54:17 PM »

those roses are beautiful! i've never seen them made from coffee filters before.   how did you color them?

i think they would make a lovely bouquet, but i can understand wanting real flowers too.  what if you got some plain square vases and filled them with river rocks or something and put the roses in them for table decorations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doctor Explosive-doom
( ( M O X I E F A C E ) )

Mama Mia!! Mama Mia!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 07:10:23 PM »

I used to make flowers out of coffee filters when I was a little kid, but they weren't NEARLY as pretty as yours.
I love them! They make me want to go back and try the whole coffee filter thing again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Fabulous.
kcartwright856
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 07:14:29 PM »

First off, let me say that your flowers are gorgeous. I love them!

In my opinion, you should use the paper flowers for your bouquet. You will have them forever and if you really love the smell of fresh flowers, go buy some body spray in a rose scent to spritz on them.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raine_Dementia
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 07:30:53 PM »

those roses are beautiful! i've never seen them made from coffee filters before.   how did you color them?

i think they would make a lovely bouquet, but i can understand wanting real flowers too.  what if you got some plain square vases and filled them with river rocks or something and put the roses in them for table decorations?

Well, first I made some plain white ones as a test using the tutorial on the thread I linked in my first post. Then, I bought cheap easter egg dye kits. Okay, I won't get into the way I did my first two or three, but here is how I'm doing them now:

I "basecoat" a filter by dunking it in a small container full of water with one of those easter egg dye pellets disolved in it. I bought several kits for about 1-2$ a piece, but the dye from my first one is still working fine.

After I base coat, I paint the edges of the petals and the insides with a big brush. At first I painted them using just the easter egg dye.

Now I have some cake water colors, it's slower to paint with the cake pan kind, but the pallette I bought was very cheap and had all the colors I need. It cost about 6$ at Michaels.

Basically it's just paint then blend with water, but at some point I'm making black ones for a friend's wedding (she wants them for her hair) and somewhere along the way I hope to get liquid water colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
zarafa
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008 07:47:16 PM »

ah, i was so wowed by the roses i missed the tutorial link. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KoadToad
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008 08:06:22 PM »

I have to say that these are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Wow. And the vine idea sounds wonderful. (The mask idea is also very different. I love it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clinton Kelly Shows You How to Rock Hot Summer Trends
Top Fashion Trends from Bonnaroo Music Festival 2013
How to Pull Off a Shorts Suit
Style Crush: Jessica Alba
Dress Like Rihanna At Any Size
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...