A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic Bag Beach Bag  (Read 13601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bella_domanie
« on: March 05, 2008 05:23:17 PM »

I absolutely love how this came out.  It's not perfect but, I still love it.  I started this bag last summer and put it away because it got boring and tedius because of all the repetition.  I finally picked it back up last week and finished it last night.  It is entirely 100% recycled, made of plastic grocery bags, VHS tape and a button that my sister in law gave me off of some of her old clothing.  It's a bit on the XL side (it's about 19in. across) but, that's good because I plan on cramming it full of crap when we finally go to the beach.  I started this because I didn't want to buy a bag and have it ruined by salt water and sand at the beach so, I thought of plastic but, didn't want the sand to stay in the bag.  So, I crocheted it using an H (5mm) hook so it'd have small holes for the sand to fall out of.  Finally, here is my Plastic Bag Beach Bag!
Front:

Back:

Inside:

Outside Pocket:

Button:

VHS Tape:

I'm even starting another one.  Not the same as this one but, still made out of the plastic bags.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my new one.  I've done a little more work since I took these pictures.  I finished off the edges of the straps and added a flower made from a pink plastic bag and a yellow button and a magnetic closure.  The pink's a little brighter than the picture shows, my closet light isn't the greatest.

I love this bag.  It's very comfortable and soft.  And I get a lot of compliments and comments on it!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 11:52:34 AM by bella_domanie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
notner99
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 05:26:19 PM »

All I can say is WOW, you are patient! That is an awesome idea and so well executed. I love how the colored logo bits of the bags gave it the speckled pattern effect. props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccacc
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 05:43:11 PM »

tahts fantastic
go recycling!
and i love that you used vhs tape!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out paperstache.etsy.com for papercrafts, cards, illustrations, prints, custom orders, etc!
tympsy
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 05:45:15 PM »

I agree with the above, you are so patient, how long did it take you to cut and make all the plastic bag yarn?

I always look at patterns to make bags like this but get put off by the yarn making.  Embarrassed

But I love it, and wish I was more patient Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 05:56:15 PM »

It's excellent--it looks deliberate, it doesn't look at all accidental--very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 07:06:26 PM »

You did SUCH an AMAZING job! I think this is the BEST plastic bag creation I've seen, and such a great idea!!!

How wide did you cut the strips? I really want to make one of these! I love the style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
socalgirl

Momma by day...Crafter by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 07:14:16 PM »

My husband's grandmother makes these, but she doesn't add the details that you've added to yours. It looks great! We use ours for the beach, and it's perfect. The sand sifts right on through, so you leave most of it at the beach instead of bringing it all home.

Awesome job! Can't wait to see your next one!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 07:21:38 PM »

lol Thank you guys, you're so nice!  It is a bit of work and something on the bags tends to make my hook stick a little bit so I have to wash it occaisionally (I use metal hooks).  Other than that, it's relatively simple and in some ways, easier than yarn.  It doesn't split or pull apart! So I don't have a ton of cutting to do, I pull at the bags to make them flat again.  Then, I fold them in half and continue to do that untill the bag's about a couple inches wide with the closed end at one end and the handles and opening at the other.  Then, I start at one end and cut my strips around... a little under an inch wide.  The wider you cut it, the thicker it is, keep that in mind.  If your width varies too much, your work won't be even.  I fold and cut a bunch of bags at once to get a really big pile and keep my pieces in a ziploc bag so I always have extras and don't have to stop what I'm doing to do it all over again.  To get a long strand, open up one piece (it'll be a circle) and pull it just so it's long and tight.  Hold one of the 'corners' that you just made and open it up just a little bit.  Take a part of the next piece and slip it through that hole.  Take the long end of the second piece, slip it through the part that just went through the hole and pull the first and second piece just so it's tight.  Don't pull too much or you'll stretch out your bags and that's not good. 

I hope that makes sense.  If it doesn't, let me know and I can take pictures of each step.  Once you get the hang of it, it's really simple and you can make it really quickly.  Good luck and have fun with it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappynhappy

Life is a song...dance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008 07:22:16 PM »

WOW!  Its perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fabric makes me happy:).
dottcomm1
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008 07:24:11 PM »

OMG!!!! love this!! it came out so great!

how did you cut the bags into yarn? i am so impressed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Old Vintage Effect in Photoshop
The Lomo Effect - Lomography in Photoshop Explained
How to Make an Exploding Planet in Photoshop
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Make a Really Cool Electricity Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...