A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fone Bone of Boneville (Rated G, I promise!)  (Read 4353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber555
« on: March 05, 2008 02:08:16 PM »

A lot of times when I tell people I'm a fan of a comic book series called Bone they atomatically assume it's something dirty. It's not, Jeff Smith's Bone series actually got it's start in a Disney kids magazine.

Here is my amigurumi Fone Bone which I just finished this morning:

I'm really pleased with the technique I used for his nose. Rather than whipstitching a nose on to a completed circle I actually crocheted two half circles together. I got the idea from this Heart pattern: http://www.pepika.com/free-patterns/heart.htm. The head piece was 30 sc wide, and the nose piece was 20 sc wide. I made the head a couple rounds longer than the nose then whipstitched only 5 stitches of each piece together, then crocheted around the outer perimeter which was 40 sc wide. I did a couple of rounds at 40 then started the decrease rounds.

The head and body are all one piece. The arms, feet and legs were made separately and whipstitched on afterwards. I only stuffed him lightly because I wanted him to be pretty squishy.

It's occurred to me that I could probably spend the rest of the year making the rest of the non-human characters from the Bone series, but I'm going to try to resist the temptation. I'm definately going to try to put together Fone Bone's cousin Phoney. He's exactly the same size and shape, but wears a black shirt with a star on it. I may do their other cousin Smiley too, but that will require a slightly different shape. If anyone wants to know more about the comics, check out the info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneville.

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Rio_Supreme
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 02:41:00 PM »

Aaah! It's so cute! I love the Bone series!  Grin

And I know what you mean about the title, I hate it when I'm looking for it in a store and I have to ask the cashier if they stock a graphic novel called...Bone. Embarrassed Unless they know what it is they give me really weird looks and send me to the back of the store where I won't contaminate the other, innocent readers!

Well done on the little guy, You should make phoney bone or smiley bone next so he can have someone company!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try again, fail again, fail better." Samuel Beckett
LSpice
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 03:12:04 PM »

I had completely forgotten about that comic.  It was in Disney Adventures, right? I loved that magazine! You really took me back with this (and he's so cute too.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 04:20:09 PM »

omg. when i saw it in that top new project strip thing, i was like "holy crap" Smiley

this is by far one of the cutest amigurumis in my book Smiley great job! please do one of the rat creatures Cheesy they'd be adorable. especially cause they've got such shiny eyes Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Muddlepud
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 05:16:43 PM »

I really like it, and I like the technique you used for the nose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 05:19:12 PM »

Bone is great, and your guy was totally recognizable!  Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 06:20:03 PM »

Aww! He's so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachingjonah
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 07:14:23 PM »

It looks just like him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fosca
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008 10:59:03 AM »

I Love Bone, you did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber555
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008 01:20:49 AM »

And I know what you mean about the title, I hate it when I'm looking for it in a store and I have to ask the cashier if they stock a graphic novel called...Bone. Embarrassed Unless they know what it is they give me really weird looks and send me to the back of the store where I won't contaminate the other, innocent readers!

Your comment made me laugh Rio_Supreme because I've had this experienc too. Right now I'm collecting the new colourized Bone books that Scholastic is releasing and for some reason my comic book shop doesn't carry them, but the mainstream bookstores do. I get the reaction you've mentioned or I get clerks who just assume I'm buying them for a small child when they're actually for me and I'm 31.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments. I'm glad you like my little Fone Bone! I've posted the (free) pattern on my blog if anyone wants it http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/

I really do want to make Bartleby, the baby rat creature, sometime so if anyone has any suggestion as to what I could use for his shiny red eyes please send me a personal message or post your suggestion in this thread. I'm willing to buy a set of eyes/beads/buttons? online, but so far in my searching I haven't found anything that's quite right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect Part 2
How to be an Architect - Part 3
How to Be an Architect Part 4
How to be an Architect - Part 5
The Advent Of Web 2.0
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...