A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chickens and Celery and Gators, Oh My! Welcome to Oviedo, Florida!  (Read 8875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Purly McGarterpants
Stargazer

Crafting my way to a fully decorated house!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 05, 2008 01:30:27 PM »

Hi everybody!
I am representing my hometown of Oviedo, Florida, which is about 20 minutes northeast of Orlando.  Oviedo is kind of a small town, but it's growing by leaps and bounds.  I live in Los Angeles now, which is pretty dang far from Oviedo, so I wanted to make something I could see every day that would remind me of home.  I also had loads of recipes that needed to be compiled into one place.  So, I decided to make a cookbook.  I started out with one of those view-through binders, and went about looking for pictures of things that mean "Oviedo" to me.  I came up with football (home of the Oviedo Lions), Celery and Oranges (which Oviedo used to produce when it was founded), alligators (of which we have MANY), sandhill cranes (of which we also have MANY), the Baptist church (because Oviedo is a CHURCHY town!), the Little Econlockhatchee River (which I used to go play in as a kid), and the Lawton House (which is a historic house that gets lit up for the holidays every year by the city).  I took the pictures, collaged them on the computer, and added some effects to make them look illustrated.  Over the top of those pictures I put some fluorescent chickens (roosters actually) that I hand-colored.  Why chickens, you might ask?  Well, because in Oviedo, we have wild chickens that run around old town.  They actually live next to the Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits. 

Yes, that's right, our wild chickens live outside of Popeye's.

So, I put the "Oviedo Collage" in the front, added some titles - "Corinne's Recipes" over the top of names of all of the foods I love, and just "Recipes" on the side.  The back of the cookbook is pictures of sod.  That's right, like sod you put in your front yard.  This is because, in order to get to Oviedo from the highway, you have to drive through these massive sod fields on either side of the road.  So sod makes me homesick.  I know - I'm strange.

Inside the cookbook is a compilation of recipes I've gotten over the years from friends and family, as well as some of my own and some I've cut out of magazines.  Is it odd that a long-time vegetarian creates a cookbook full of vegetarian recipes and then puts chickens on the front?  I don't know, but I think chickens would like my cookbook.

Now, I can display my Oviedo cookbook on my little cookbook holder in my kitchen and think of home every time I walk by.  Smiley

Front Cover:

Front, Back, and Spine:

Action Shot:

Extreme Chicken Close-up:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 01:52:00 PM by Purly McGarterpants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My yummy vegetarian recipes: http://itsvegetarian.blogspot.com

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Oscar Wilde
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 01:55:48 PM »

Nice design work!!! And I really love the back cover of sod! Smiley
I went to UCF and I believe you mentioned every highlight I can think of about Oviedo, especially my favorite: the chickens roaming around behind Popeye's. That used to really crack me up!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 01:56:46 PM by Pogo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
RedhairedSunset

She's so sexy.Look at her body language.All verbs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 02:55:51 PM »

OmG! I just moved back to New Jersey from Winter Park- I used to hang out in Oviedo all the time !  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LSpice
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 03:08:02 PM »

I really love the sod!!!  You get uniformity but it still looks like individual pieces....like the real thing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purly McGarterpants
Stargazer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 03:12:21 PM »

Thank you so much for your feedback everybody!  It's nice to know that there are other people out there who've heard of Oviedo.  Out here in LA, no one has a clue where Oviedo is.  I usually just say I'm from Orlando to avoid the blank stare I get when I say Oviedo.  Boy, I miss Oviedo a lot more after doing this project... Sad  But in a good way.  I went to UCF too for my last 2 years of undergrad...go Golden Knights!  Of course, now I'm a USC Trojan, so Fight On!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oscar Wilde
Purly McGarterpants
Stargazer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 04:06:32 PM »

Wait, RedHairedSunset, I just noticed you said you used to hang out a lot in Oviedo - I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my hometown and all, but what did you DO?  There's not a whole lot there, unless you want to go to the mall, in which case there are way better ones around.  We always used to try to find ways to get OUT of Oviedo when I was a young'un. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oscar Wilde
Tiel
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 04:58:50 PM »

GO OVIEDO!!!   I went to school in St. Cloud and lived in Kissimmee.  Glad to see someone from my stomping grounds. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
LaLaHappy

giggle. it's good for you.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 04:59:38 PM »

Brilliant work! Oviedo is not too far from St Augustine (where I live now). It's funny you are in Los Angeles now because I am from Los Angeles originally and now live near where you used to live. It really is a small world.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I have wists too!
...and personal swap friendly.
Purly McGarterpants
Stargazer

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008 06:06:07 PM »

It certainly is... a small world after all...it's a small world after all...it's a small world after all...it's a small, small world!  Oh god, now it's in my head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oscar Wilde
RedhairedSunset

She's so sexy.Look at her body language.All verbs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008 02:00:20 AM »

Wait, RedHairedSunset, I just noticed you said you used to hang out a lot in Oviedo - I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my hometown and all, but what did you DO?  There's not a whole lot there, unless you want to go to the mall, in which case there are way better ones around.  We always used to try to find ways to get OUT of Oviedo when I was a young'un. 

Lol, get this, My Ex-Fiance's boss (who is a total hottie) lives there and we'd relax and play video games and have BBQ's. I wasn't down there for very long (few months really) but I did a double take bc I never thought I'd hear Oviedo ever again. But boy, I sure miss it there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Danny Tobey Talks About The Faculty Club
Carlos Eire Talks About Waiting for Snow in Havana
"Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware" Book Trailer
Dr. Carin Rubenstein Talks About The Superior Wife Syndrome
An Author Chat with Julia DeVillers and Hillary Homzie Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...