A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Cherry Blossoms of York!  (Read 5299 times)
Tags for this thread: clipboard  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 05, 2008 11:52:30 AM »

I very nearly didn't post this but I am too in love with it to not share lol.

I'm from the Greater Toronto Area, but I just knew someone else was going to do Toronto too, so I thought again. I live in a small village, thats famous for nothing but being the hometown of the kid who played Akakin skywalker (I'm sure its all a ruse though cause he's only 2 years older than me and his elementry school is blocks from mine but I don't know anyone who knows him and I've lived here 21 years! ) and having the worlds deadest mall. Little inspiration there. Besides, I really only sleep in Thornhill anyway, I spend most of my life at York University. Then it hit me. I'm going to craft York. with a student population of over 40,000 and it's own shopping mall, it's got enough to be it's own city!!

My favourite things at York are the Sakura Trees (better known as Japanese Cherry Blossom Trees). The year before I started they were donated by Japan to the York campus for some reason or another. I can't remember. But the point is, they are beautiful. Particularly in the summer, when there are few students around to appreciate them. Don't tell anyone, but one of the reasons I take summer courses is so I can read under the cherry blossoms lol.

In honor of my beloved Sakura trees I made this!:

It's a clipboard embellished with Pink Red and Purple Cherry Blossoms!
I picked up a pink clip board from the bookstore, used nailpolish remover to remove the York Logo, then used Nine (9!) packages for mini-rhinestones from the dollarstore and a whole lotta tacky glue decorate it.

I strayed from the traditional pink cherry blossoms for a few reasons. The first was practicality since I would have needed 30 packages of mini-rhinestones if they were all pink and I'm a poor student lol. The second is that multicoloured is more interesting. And the third is I wanted to include red since it's York's official colour. I opted for the pink, purple and red motif since they looked so good on the pink background.

My fave flower. The larger blossoms took about an hour, the smaller ones about 35 min. The vine took several hours. I forgot how many since I did it in stages. Each rhinestone was placed by hand using pin with a dab of glue on the tip. It got tedious lol

Each flower was sketched and glued on to a piece of kitchen parchment and left to dry. When there were all done, I peeled them off and glued them to the clipboard. I drew and glued the vine and my name directly on to the clipboard. As a finishing touch, I glued pink rhinestones to the little paper holder-downer thing at the top just to make it a little extra glam.

(for anyone who is interested, here's some info about the Sakura at york: http://www.yorku.ca/yfile/archive/index.asp?Article=1331)

(please ignore the pencil marks. I put them there for rough placement ideas with the intent of removing them after I was done, but I've lost my gum eraser so I have to deal with them until I can replace it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
SiakelA
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 12:09:38 PM »

wow, I really love that blossom you picked as your fav. It's my fav too! I'd be so scared to use that after all the work put into it though - i mean, what if some of the rhinstones come off??? tragedy, that's what! But if you used strong glue, then I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I like how popular cherry blossoms are getting in america. I've loved them since reading card captor sakura and looking them up. Smiley Nothing would make me happier than living near a cherry blossom tree
THIS ROCKS   Logged

byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 12:12:28 PM »

yay for another Torontonian!  I'm from Markham....so i'm part of the GTA.  And apparently Hayden Christensen was a super ass.  So I wouldn't be too worried about not meeting him. Tongue

pretty clipboard!  Sakura are my favorite flower. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 12:18:57 PM »

yay for another Torontonian!  I'm from Markham....so i'm part of the GTA.  And apparently Hayden Christensen was a super ass.  So I wouldn't be too worried about not meeting him. Tongue

pretty clipboard!  Sakura are my favorite flower. Smiley

I'm from Markham too! Well Thornhill, but the part that part of Markham and we are soooo part of the GTA lol York, Durham, and Peel are all concidered the GTA.

I'm glad you like it.

wow, I really love that blossom you picked as your fav. It's my fav too! I'd be so scared to use that after all the work put into it though - i mean, what if some of the rhinstones come off??? tragedy, that's what! But if you used strong glue, then I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I like how popular cherry blossoms are getting in america. I've loved them since reading card captor sakura and looking them up. Smiley Nothing would make me happier than living near a cherry blossom tree

I find tacky glue pretty awesome for vinyl and rhinestones, I did a clipboard last year, not nearly as fancy as this one, and used it for most of the year without any rhinestones fall off.  They doo start peel after months of use though, Luckily they stick together, so you just have to stick them back down with somemore glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
lovelyMTNlife
Lovely Mountain Life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 12:20:37 PM »

Beautiful!

Looks like a lot of work went into this! Kudos, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a lover of vintage finds, the thrill of a thrift store hunt, frugal decorating and creative crafts. My quiet home in the mountains provides the perfect setting for uninterrupted inspiration!

Visit my blog for crafty things of various sorts: http://lovelymtnlife.blogspot.com/
Tiel
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 12:55:09 PM »

Great job!!!  Thanks also for the insight on Sakura.  I love Bath and Body works Japanese Cherry Blossom body spray and lotion.  I'm not a flowery person but the smell is to die for.   I wish I could see and smell one in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Carly
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008 04:48:57 AM »

I am not from Toronto, but I go to York too... great idea Smiley.
I have love for the Sakura restaurant, if that counts!  Haha Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iridescent
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008 03:48:28 PM »

I used to go to York, but never got the chance to see the sakura trees in full bloom...you're so lucky!
At least I can sort of experience them through your pretty clipboard Smiley

Edit:
Ah, I just read up a bit on the sakura trees, and they were planted to celebrate Japan and Canada's friendship. Source: http://www.toronto.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/english/sakura/news-current/2003-plantings/2003-plantings.html

York's Japanese language program is one of the best in Canada, in case anyone's interested Wink
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008 03:53:00 PM by iridescent » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Protect Your Hair from Chlorine and Saltwater
How to Prevent Static Cling in Your Hair
How to Protect Your Hair from the Sun
How to Put in Clip-in Hair Pieces
How to Blow Dry Your Hair Faster
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...