A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tapestry wool?  (Read 1806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 05, 2008 11:06:29 AM »

I discovered a shop in my city that sells 100 % wool yarn, in a worsted/heavy worsted weight. However, it's tapestry wool. it doesn't feel all that soft, and the surface has some fluff that I don't love. But maybe I'm just not used to it, as I always use only cotton or acrylic (and I hate the acrylic fluff too). This is it:

I knit a swatch on #7 needles and got 18 st/20 rows, and it doesn't look too thick or too tight, even though all sites I've found say the right needles for this is #15 (but they were all for felting projects).
So, considering the fluff and the possible scratchiness (I'm waiting for the swatch to dry after a good wash to try it against my skin, but it doesn't feel good on the hands while knitting), would it be possible to use it for garments? I have cardigans or pullovers in mind, mostly because they make it in 120 colours, while almost all other yarns I like have about 10...

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 11:35:08 AM »

I think it might be good for felting, but in general would be too harsh for next to the skin clothing.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 04:49:56 PM »

like soozeq I think it would be too itchy to wear as a garment, and also, being tapestry wool the dyes used may not be colourfast (you ought to check that before you invest lots of time knitting something from it!).  It will almost certainly not be machine washable either, so don't make anything that you are not prepared to handwash and take a lot of care over.

personally I would make something to felt out of it - slippers would be great as it will become softer and less itchy and rough when it is felted, and if they are a little itchy you could always wear a pair of socks with the slippers....  or what about a felted bag?

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 06:48:45 PM »

sigh.. no... the only things i'm interesting here are the 120 colours available, and the price too. i have a cardigan pattern in mind that asks exactly for the gauge i got, and a similar weight yarn in cotton costs not only 3 times that, but only has 6 colours sold in my city, and none on the internet (and the only colour i found ok was a neutral beige, so boring). i googled the yarn name, though, and found lots of people using it for scarves and ponchos, and at least one cardigan (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbroering/1933169314/)
the one blog that mentioned it as scratchy on one post, saying it was great for bags, had another post showing a shrug made of it, and saying it was surprising how not scratchy it was after done.

Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 09:33:06 PM »

With handling and maybe washing with conditioner it could soften up; you'd just have to knit up a sample and see.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 09:42:49 PM »

hi colorlessblue! i say make a outer garment. that wool will be warm! i'd make a zip jacket/hoodie or a cardi. 

when you washed it did it bleed color? tajhia has a point there!

and felt is good too! myself i like the scratchiness. i know i know i hear it all the time. nuts'o  Grin

but really go for it. we definitely want to see how it works out!

and now about the name of that yarn? what where and how?! can we get it?

thanks for sharing!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008 01:16:58 AM »

i washed my swatch and used a bit of conditioner too. i didn't block it, because i didn't have any pins, but i pulled and tugged a little while it was wet and it held its shape well. actually, i put it through a bit of abuse, to see how it resisted. it didn't bleed at all. after it dried, i put the swatch inside the waistband of my  trousers for a while. i know, weird, but it was a way to test how it felt on the skin. it's not itchy at all, and it's softer than i thought it would be! but it's all fuzzy... i've made a crochet bag to felt months ago, but my laundry machine doesn't do hot, and it didn't felt even after many cycles (but i know of others who felted this yarn well). so i never  got around to using the bag, and the fuzz could be blamed on the machine washing, as i could blame my swatch fuzz on the abuse i put it through.
this is the yarn:http://pingouin.com.br/cartela/cartela_desc.php?gColecaoIdInt=5&gNoveloIdInt=31 it's one of 2 100% wool yarns that i've heard of, and the only one sold in my city and on the internet sites i know (one of the sites started selling a new wool yarn just this week, but it's superfine merino and angora, and extremely expensive. and they only havee 3 colours) . this is its colour chart: http://pingouin.com.br/cartela/cartela_desc_cartela.php?gColecaoIdInt=5&gNoveloIdInt=31
right now the thing stopping me is the pillling, but maybe if i soak it with the hair conditioner before i knit and take it to the professionals to wash after it's done things would be better. no matter what yarn i choose, none of the brazilian yarns are machine washable, so i'd be taking it to the pros in all cases...

Terry Pratchett

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008 07:07:52 AM »

When I tried using tapestry wool (I need to finish that project), my Mum said that it's not very colourfast.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008 07:24:00 AM »

no, the colours are great, actually. i've read lots about this yarn in blogs, almost all of them talking about felted bags, and everybody loves the colours. i've been hanging on to my swatch, and sometimes during the day i just look at it and pet it for a while, and i think it's really soft. fuzzy, but soft.

see? there's practically an halo on the right part of the pic...

Terry Pratchett
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008 05:45:11 AM »

You could try one of those hand held, battery operated sweater shavers. Zips that fluff and pilling right off.  Lay flat on a hard surface and shave away.  You can pick this item up in a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Bowls
How to Make Apple Pie Without the Pie Crust
How to Make Chocolate Pilgrim Hats for Thanksgiving
How to Make Peanut Butter-Chocolate Acorns
How to Make Waffle Cone Cornucopias for Thanksgiving
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...