A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coeliac Vegetarian!! HELP!! I need recipes!  (Read 1591 times)
Tags for this thread: gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dealupa
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008 08:30:11 AM »

One of my favorite food blogs has a list of gluten free recipes (http://www.101cookbooks.com/gluten_free_recipes/). 

And can I recommend potatoes? Regular or sweet.  Baked sweet potatoes with a bit of butter (& salt if it's unsalted butter) are lovely.  Baked potatoes topped with veggie chili and/or salsa or topped with steamed broccoli (and cheddar, since I'm a cheeseaholic).  Curried oven fries.  Potatoes au gratin (toss in some silk tofu for healthier/proteinier or even a cheeseless version). 

Oh, and beets.  If you like them, beets are delicious.  Pickled, of course, but also baked, either in chunks or like oven fries (recently discovered love of mine).  And as a plus, the beet greens are wonderful cooked up, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Love1217
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008 03:05:04 PM »

My granddad has Celiacs and he was living with us for awhile.  I am also a vegetarian so it really was tricky to find a lot of options that would accommodate us both.  It is crazy some of the stuff that has gluten in it that you would never expect!  Be careful with some soups.  Some people and companies use flour to thicken the soup.  Also, some soy sauces and mayonnaise contain gluten.   

Bob's Red Mill(http://www.bobsredmill.com/) have a lot of alternative flours that you can replace with regular flours when you bake.  When I bake my granddad cakes and cookies I use rice flour. They also have cake, cookie, breads, and brownie mixes that only require you to add some additional ingredients like milk and butter. 

Whole Foods also carries gluten free food.  They have pizzas, cookies, and bread that you can get.  Sometimes they even have fresh goods in the bakery. 

http://www.glutenfree.com/home.aspx?CategoryCode=42  Is a good source to buy almost everything!     

Hopefully this helps!!  Good Luck with everything!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Twist
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008 05:44:18 PM »

I'm not alone...

I'm in the same situation as you are. I add recipes to my blog semi-regularly (totally overdue to get some old stuff up there) but I've only just started it up so there's not much there at the moment.

Blog: http://misstwist.blogspot.com/

I assure you it does get much much easier. You can have dairy I take it? If so you're one food item up on me as I'm also allergic to dairy.

Coconut milk based curries using form tofu are to die for, brown rice is our friend nutrition wise (mixed wild rice is nice too), try to find a good cup for cup flour replacer it will save you so much time, pay attention to all the ingredients on everything (some corn flours have wheat flour in them for example) and don't panic!

The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'Brian was a god send for me.

And http://accidentalvegetarian.blogspot.com/ is the blog that saved me. This woman is an inspiration and to sum the blog up in 3 words: GLUTEN FREE CROISSANTS...

What more do you need?

If you'd like I can send you over a PM with a list of the blogs and resources I use the most Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008 03:42:45 PM »

I'm kind of just combining advice I've seen so far on this thread, but I'm assuming you can have sweet potatoes and coconut milk...if that's true, I'd love to share a recipe for something delicious with you:

I make a really really tasty sweet potato curry that's very simple.  Here's how I make it, but you can modify the recipe if you can't have something in it or if you just prefer different things:

Peel and cube 2 large-ish sweet potatoes (specific, I know) and chop up an onion.  Saute the onion with some garlic in olive (or whatever) oil.  Add whatever spices you like.  (I use turmeric, garam masala, and cumin seeds).  Let the spices cook a bit, and then add the potato cubes.  Stir until they're coated.  Add in a can of coconut milk (I use the light kind), and cover.  Stir frequently, but basically let the mix steam until the potatoes are cooked through.  I like to cook them for a little longer than it takes for them to get tender, so that the coconut milk mixes with the starch and gets really thick.  You can add finishing salt if you like, but usually I don't think it needs it. 

This is a really versatile recipe...you can use pumpkin instead of the sweet potatoes, or whatever you like!  I like to serve this with basmati rice and a green salad.  Oh, and sorry for not having exact amounts listed...I kind of just wing it whenever I cook  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008 03:43:49 PM by bunsenhoneydew13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Wardrobe Must-Haves From Jill Martin
How Do You Pull Off a Crop Top? Ask Jessica Alba
Four Hot Trends From Milan Fashion Week
Diane Kruger Found Her Spirit Animal - Find Yours!
4 Top Outerwear Trends For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...