A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coeliac Vegetarian!! HELP!! I need recipes!  (Read 1527 times)
Tags for this thread: gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pepper Morrison
Jaque LeCube- because he's french and a cube..

about as fatale as an after dinner mint..

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2008 10:00:33 AM »

I became a vegetarian four years ago, and was diagnosed as a coeliac about a year ago.
For those of you who don't know, a coeliac is basically someone who is allergic to gluten. Gluten is found in wheat (including Kamut and spelt), barley, rye and oats.
I don't eat any form of meat, fish included, and I try to avoid eating a lot of egg..But I do drink milk, in fact it may be the only thing keeping me alive!

Last night I realised that i have eaten gluten free pasta with pesto five days running... I NEED HELP!

If anyone knows any delicious gluten free veggie recipes PLEASE let me know. Because I'm thinking hard and all I'm coming up with for dinner is... gluten free pasta with pesto.   Undecided

Some additional info: they don't have to be specifically gluten free if that makes sense, as in they can just be really yummy veggie curries that just happen not to have gluten...
And if no deadly veggie meals spring to mind I'm pretty handy with quorn substitute, so lay that on me too!

Anything is welcome!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 10:01:19 AM by Pepper Morrison » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too rare to live
Too weird to die...
serendipity3_82
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 11:32:31 AM »

Vegetarian chili (a favorite of mine)
Grilled/fried/stir fried tofu with a side of steamed veggies and rice
Veggie Shepard's Pie
Lots and lots of Asian food, just make sure if you do use noodles, that you use the rice sticks/cellophane noodles
Tofu, veggies, and rice with peanut sauce
Curries
Quinoa is a grain from South America that I think celiacs can eat (my roomie in college was gluten intolerant)
Umm, and I assume most soups you could eat no problem too.

You can find all sorts of awesome recipes online and I was at the bookstore last night (a Barnes and Noble) and in the vegetarian cookbook section, I noticed a gluten free vegetarian cookbook.  I don't remember the name, but maybe you could keep an eye out for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 04:39:11 PM »

Hi,

Here is an extensive list of gluten-free vegan recipes. This site focuses on recipes with almost no fat, but you can saute in oil, add cheese, use dairy milk instead soy milk, etc.

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/gluten-free/index.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 07:01:51 PM »

i would suggest soups as the person above me did and in order to make sure you get full (as most of us would off of gluten laden carbs) try eating lots of protein in your meals and not having just like.. a salad. i would suggest things like baked tofu or tofu scrambles for breakfast. also, you can make veggie burgers and just sub out the bread crumbs in most recipes for gluten free ones or just use a lot of rice and expect it to kind of crumble and scramble up (which might even be really really good, who knows).

also any recipe which uses tempeh as its protein source would be fine.

my friend is a vegetarian and her dad is a celiac so she always looks for recipes that they can enjoy together and i know she's found some really good cook books at our local library (which is TINY) so i'm sure if you check out a library or do an amazon search or something you could come up with some titles to check out. good luck Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Star
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 10:28:23 PM »

Try some Asian dishes since many Asian dishes don't use milk, eggs, or things that contain gluten. Try cooking white rice with veggies with a sweet sauce. That always works for me (BTW, I'm a vegan and I don't like bread or pasta that much...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Project:
N/A = 0%
Pepper Morrison

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 08:23:47 AM »

o wow! thanks guys for such fast responses!  Kiss

The list of recipes was great, things that were obvious (like chili!) that I just hadn't thought of.. and some more interesting ones! I really need to learn how to cook tofu. I've tried twice and both time it just disintegrated into a slimy mess..

The list of recipes are amazing! I had no idea that they made cook books for coeliac vegetarians, even though it stands to reason that they should, because I have a diabetic vegetarian cookbook. I don't know why I have that...

I had a similar experience with tempeh as I had with tofu, my sister made a big deal about it so we bought loads, and then when she was away I tried to cook it and it just like, didn't work... and what little did work tasted really odd...

I don't doubt that both tempeh and tofu can be cooked to perfection and made taste gorgeous but I just can't do it!

And I love Asian food! My sister works at an authentic Indian take away, and the food is just incredable because it's made properly, not all full of preservatives and additives. mmmmmmm  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too rare to live
Too weird to die...
serendipity3_82
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008 10:52:15 AM »

Tofu does take some time to learn to cook and (at least for me) took awhile to appreciate the texture and taste, but now I love it.
A couple of tofu tips:
If you don't want it to fall apart, buy the extra firm tofu.
For a meatier texture, freeze the package of tofu, thaw it out and press out as much liquid as you can.
For stir fries and other veggie/tofu mix, I ALWAYS cook the tofu first in oil at a highish temperature to brown the tofu and give it a little texture, then add the veggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 10:45:00 AM »

I checked it out and the book is called "Gluten Free Vegetarian" by Donna Klein. She's an excellent author, I have two of hers (the italian and mediterranean ones) and i love them both. i check this one out from the library though and as i try it, i'll let you know how it is Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty_otter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008 06:58:23 AM »

hello

i saw a lot of people reccomending tofu/soy.  just be careful.  my boss is a celiac and says sometimes they have a hard time processing it. 
last week i made the lentil and brown rice cassarole from la dolce vegan.  gluten free, veggie and delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pepper Morrison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008 07:36:38 AM »

Wow people are being so helpful!
I will try to cook tofu and I'll be careful and make sure its gluten free... and I love lentils!!

And to owalkerjillo thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too rare to live
Too weird to die...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 7/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 8/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 5/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 28/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 29/29
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...