A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift Store Question  (Read 10455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KTsLaLaLand
Midwest Mindmelter

Taking Over with Toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008 10:35:22 AM »

Typically, I've never found fabric remnants at Goodwill specifically. Moreso I've found them in locally owned thrift stores, and in smaller cities or towns. Currently I'm living in a small town that thrives on small business, especially folk art and crafting, so in almost every little thrift store you can find loose quarters, stuffing, remnants, buttons, zippers, beads, whatever you could want for CHEAP. It's a thing of beauty. I may never leave this place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a packrat. I'm prepared. ^_^

Making the World a Better Place:
http://www.DoctorSteel.com
MS Crochet
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008 12:10:09 PM »

Hi,

I recently volunteered at my local thrift store because they are expanding and need lots of help.  The first time I went in my assignment was to measure out and price the fabrics they had not gotten on the floor.  There were beautiful pieces, some knits, wools and synthetic fabrics.  They also have a decorator section that has a lot of very nice pieces of fabric if you want to recycle.  Some thrift stores simply don't want to handle things like fabric, patterns, crafts, etc.  You will find the Goodwill stores are a little more selective about what they take as donations.  A lot of this is safety related issues get involved and they want to avoid that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008 06:01:35 PM »

I moved to a small town with a Goodwill.Besides the linen,curtains,etc.They have bins of  fabric over by a  wall.Some are half bolts,quarters.They usually have a lot of fabric but very little sewing patterns. Sad.I always check for sewing patterns for crafts.But it's usually hit or miss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
your so TRAGIC
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008 08:08:56 AM »

Sorry this is going to be long!

I work for Goodwill currently on their website. This gives me lots of knowledge about how Goodwill works.

First of all when stores get donations they sort them and most Goodwill stores pick out valuable items and they get sent to their local Shopgoodwill posting location where they get posted online.

The stores then pick out salvage items(lots of clothes and actual fabric pretty much all the goodies) and send them to giant Goodwill warehouses. These warehouses usually run an outlet store. In the outlet store they sell all of the things that either didnt get picked for shopgoodwill or didnt sell in the store. There is all kinds of amazing finds to be had at outlet stores. Plus its soooooo much cheaper than the actual store.

For example....furnitur e that is priced at $50 in the store sells for no more than $10 in the outlet. Lots of nice(rehabable desks and dressers!) sell for $2-$6. I bought a HUGE super comfy chair for $6. You can also find lots of storage options for all your craft bits and pieces here too for very cheap.

BUT the good part...

They dump clothes and all kinds of randomness(books, movies, tapes, tables, lights, etcetc) in giant bins. There are usually over...8-9 HUGE rolling bins(I'm talking like 12ft bins) stuffed full of clothes and random awesomness. This stuff sells for 50 cents a pound once you go over a certain weight limit. Usually if you fill a shopping cart you get the cart for 50 cents a pound. Otherwise things are priced according to what they are.

I recommend searching for a goodwill outlet store, its really a great deal and you can find all kinds of good stuff. Sometimes there is fabric and scraps but its also good to find very nice clothes to harvest from. This also makes it very cheap instead of paying $1.99 for one sweet tshirt to turn into a purse when you can get 20 shirts, cord pants, a few big blankets and sheets, a new cabinet for all your new finds, a bag of buttons, glass for mosaics, tapes for wallets, and cups to repaint all for MAYBE $15-$20

Its really very neat. So if you've worked for goodwill or you do work for goodwill, the outlet is where all of your salvage goes. Its also not all salvage. I've pulled out expensive vintage costume jewlery from a bin they were going to just throw away that sold on shopgoodwill for $120. So its totally worth checking out!

I really hope that helps and I'm sorry it was so long!

If something isn't clear or you have any questions feel free to ask away!

Or if you are looking for something imparticular I can keep my eyes peeled for it since I work here =) I would be happy to grab it for you if I find it and send it your way!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008 09:59:33 AM by your so TRAGIC » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008 08:30:00 PM »

I find lots of fabric and craft supplies by shopping at  the Charity Thrift stores, like Catholic charities and local mission stores. They tend to hang up longer lengths of fabric or flat fold them an put them in the bric-a-brac area. I sometimes find this even at the Salvation Army store and Good will. When you come in ask where they have Fabrics and Crafts. you will be surprised what they have that you just never saw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009 11:43:52 AM »

Our Local Goodwills are undergoing a overhaul.They have a new manager over 3 of them.The local one looks like aJC Penney wannabe.And they've almost done away with all the craft supplies. Cry.They have racks just like JC Penneys so you can't find anything.Plus if they have craft supplies you have to look all over the store for them.I used to like Goodwill but now I hate it.Plus the new manager of the local store has such a attitude. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009 12:17:30 PM »

Our Local Goodwills are undergoing a overhaul.They have a new manager over 3 of them.The local one looks like aJC Penney wannabe.And they've almost done away with all the craft supplies. Cry.They have racks just like JC Penneys so you can't find anything.Plus if they have craft supplies you have to look all over the store for them.I used to like Goodwill but now I hate it.Plus the new manager of the local store has such a attitude. Angry

Funny, they just redid the front of the store at a close strip mall to bring the glass all the way to the front (it was recesses) and they start dresses at $5.99, who can afford that. There is one thrift store I haven't checked out, it is in an old gothic church, maybe I'll go there tomorrow. I only go to my local GW lately to get lp's at half off at the end of the month sale. $.50 each instead of a dollar.

Now that I am 'collecting' sewing stuff, I just go to an estate sale every now and then if it isn't too far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
firstquality
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009 10:50:01 AM »

I never find fabric or sheets at Goodwill...and does anyone else's Value Village stink  Shocked so bad that it's hard to spend 2 minutes in there?

I did find some awesome 2 yard upholstery fabric  ($5) at our Dollar General...one time deal I guess, have never seen it again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009 02:21:50 PM »

I never find fabric or sheets at Goodwill...and does anyone else's Value Village stink  Shocked so bad that it's hard to spend 2 minutes in there?

They're all sporadic, of course. But I have the best hunting at t stores that donate to hospitals -- they tend to appeal to wealthier people who give better stuff.

Also, I think it's like finding Tinkerbelle: you have to BELIEVE you're going to find good stuff, and you're more likely to. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009 06:59:08 PM »

Oh, I so scored today. I found 25# of fabric in one remnant bag. I will post a post when I find the right space. Oh Lordy. I have lived here 4 years and this store is the only one I have never gone into, and they are the only one that sells remnants. Individual pieces and big bags. The stuff was excellent. For a sneak preview if you can view my image hosting, the pics are there. I just cant believe it. The plaid is already promised, but the rest is open for swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Grunge Background in Photoshop
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 2/2
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Make a Simple Box Scene - 3ds Max
How to Import files into your Scene - 3ds Max
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...