A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift Store Question  (Read 10445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beltanecrazycat

Hello Kitty ROCKS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008 09:40:36 PM »

I hate to disappoint everyone with any part of this, I used to work for Goodwill in retail management, i don't know what the policies are for all the divisions are, but in mine the rules were only the best could go out and anything else was bailed for salvage. Not to say that some really neat fabric doesn't go out, i found about a yard of Fabrege Egg print(ok i know spelled that wrong) that became a really nice vest, and some more that became a bed set for my sons crib. Sheets are good, more then one quilter told me that they use them for quilt backs, which in turn i started to do as well. My advice is that if you look for anything with fiberfill in it (i.e. pillow forms, quilts, bedding, stuff along those lines) be sure to check your states laws on re-selling such items, for example, here in North Carolina, anything that has fiberfill in it has to be fumigated for bugs before being re-sold, the goodwill i worked for packed it up and sent to stores in South Carolina where such laws weren't on the books. I hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008 08:41:55 AM »

from my local charity shops I get sheets, duvet sets and curtains which I turn into stuff. There's only one second hand shop I know of locally that sells fabric, and enven then it's pot luck as to whether or not it's worth the journey; so I normally only go in that one if I'm in the area (it's a 45 min bus ride from me). They do happen to have zippers a lot of the time; good ones too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retro-redux

spending way too much time on craftster since 2006

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008 06:05:35 PM »

it's hit or miss at my local thrift shops but I've found tons of old fabric at estate sales.  Sadly, if the owner has died, most family seem to not want the fabric, and theres usually gobs of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come be my craftster friend on my blog: http://www.myspace.com/retroredux

I succumbed to the Wist Darkside-here ya go:
http://www.wists.com/retro-redux

Break the chain: Spay or Neuter your pets
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008 05:58:26 PM »

In the UK we have charity shops, which is similar to thrift shops, except they're doing it for charity.  Occasionally I will see fabric there, but almost always I find curtains, and what is a curtain but a big piece of fabric?  Smiley

I probably should have read the 2nd page before posting, lol.  Sorry Mrs. F. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008 06:05:49 PM by Retromiad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008 12:12:59 PM »

Often, thrift shops in the USA support charities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
JLMS
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008 01:01:39 PM »

I also find local thrift shops are better for picking up fabric. I bought over 3 yards of  new,60 in. wide white chenille for $1.50. I was so excited and my husband thought I was nuts. Then I explained what a great deal I found. And others are correct to tell you to look in the area of sheets, bedspreads etc. for fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008 11:49:44 AM »

Yep.  I usually find fabric remnants with the linens at thrift stores around here.  Although we have one or two that actually have a table full.  Mostly Polyester stuff left.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your.bestnightmare
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008 07:33:33 PM »

I like looking for bedsheets. I found this really cool halloween fabric at a St. Vincent's. There was like half an isle of fabric all at least a yard. I wanted to get some blue fleece..but some lady got to it before I did. Then she laughed at me when I told her I knit with plastic bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
crazy4bags
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008 05:33:35 PM »

it's hit or miss at my local thrift shops but I've found tons of old fabric at estate sales.  Sadly, if the owner has died, most family seem to not want the fabric, and theres usually gobs of it. 

I think that's why it's sometimes so hit or miss at thrift stores too.  I know when my g'ma passed ALL of it was donated (this was before my crafty days)

I've scored at good will a few times with some vintage flannels and corduroy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfighter00
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008 07:21:54 PM »

honestly..i had never seen fabric or craft stuff at a thrift store and i have been visiting for 10 plus years...however a week ago i found a tiny hole in the wall thrift store (all proceeds to a local hospital) and they had a craft section...they had bolts of fabric to buy...bags...and many many craft books. i was even able to scoop a large grocery bag full of plastic canvas (10count some sheets some precut) for fifty cents! so now i have called every thrift store in the city phone book and have found three others that sell things...i recommend grab a pen and phone book and make some calls Smiley

hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--keep calm and carry on--
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Net Joining
How to Halve Your Single Stitch Count
How to Finish a Crocheted Granny Square
How to Double Your Single Stitch Count
How to Double Crochet an Arch Border
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...