A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift Store Question  (Read 11145 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Buns
« on: March 05, 2008 08:18:37 AM »

I have a quick question.  People always seem to be talking about finding some great fabric at a thrift store, but I have never seen just piles of unused fabric sitting around at Goodwill.  I sometimes buy clothes there and just harvest the fabric from them - is this what everyone is basically referring to?  Or are there awesome thrift stores somewhere out there with a fabric section?   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 09:01:33 AM »

first, in answer to your question, yes, there are some with a fabric section.  my value village has a small section of fabric and then in the craft section they also have bags with random craft supplies inside, and often these will have fabric, too.  also, old sheets are a good resource. 

second, if, in your avatar, those are dog and beth chapman halloween costumes, you are the most awesome person ever.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 01:05:31 PM »

I sometimes buy clothes there and just harvest the fabric from them - is this what everyone is basically referring to? 

That's what I do, anyway.

I love the idea of "harvesting" fabric. I also think we're rescue-ing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 01:15:44 PM »

I haven't seen unused fabric at the goodwill, I usually find it at other local thrift stores in the area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 01:18:07 PM »

Sometimes there are pieces of unused fabric hanging with the kitchen linens or bedding, or folded up and hanging in baggies, it's not often actual piles of fabric! It's typically either in baggies, sometimes along with other sewing or craft stuff, or hanging on hangers. Also, look at anything made of fabric as a potential source of fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
atreehuggerswife
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 03:58:40 PM »

I have rarely seen fabric at the thrift shop.  When I do, it is a fluke and usually because I am looking at sheets & tablecloths to re-purpose.  I have found fabric hanging on hangers with the sheets, curtains and such. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008 12:47:59 PM »

My local Goodwill usually has one or two pieces of fabric lurking in the back with the bedspreads and curtains.

If you donate part of your stash (heresy, I know, but sometimes it DOES need to be done), they really do appreciate it if you mark it as "sewing fabric" and include fiber type and yardage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008 05:53:45 PM »

I harvest from clothes also and sheets, curtains, comforters, table clothes, etc.  My local Goodwill has a bin that they fill with fabric remnants for $1.49 a piece, they can be 6"x6" to several yards (they put it out on Sunday and if you haven't scoured the bin by about noon .. you are out of luck usually).   I also have a couple other thrift stores that I always find great fabric at. Recently our Salvation Army store had bags and bags of fabric for 25 cents a bag!  I grabbed every bag they had because I could see some great stuff in them.  I got them home and there was several pieces that are 2+ yards.  We also have resale shops and I often get lucky there.  If I am really lucky I catch them bagging the stuff for the trash and they will just give it to me.  I bring it home and take out what I want and donate the rest to a couple of the local shelters (I wish they would do that, but then I am not afraid to dig in their dumpster either)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
lolacat
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008 05:04:52 AM »

if any of you have a bethesda or a st. vincent de paul store near you..you will find lots of craft fabric.  typically the do the salvaging for you and cut up old clothes for fabric scraps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buns
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008 06:32:24 PM »

Well that's pretty much what I thought.  I love the idea of "rescuing" fabric too, some of the stuff you see is just so frickin hideous - but then you take it home, wash it up, and cut it into something amazing!  I always get compliments on the clothes I make from Goodwill, and people are always shocked at their origins.

Ruby_Soho: Yep, it was Dog and Beth!  It was me and my boyfriend for a Halloween party - the idea started when we spied that fabulous blonde mullet wig.  He seriously looked scarily like Dog from the side.  Wow.  haha  Then this year he was a Giant Douche and I was a Turd Sandwich, which were the candidates for mascot in a South Park episode.  I should really post pictures of his costume, it was unbelievable - he was just a gigantic douche.  He could hardly function, but he looked amazing.

lol I love Halloween
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid the Last Minute Supermarket Dash
Introduce New Thanksgiving Dishes This Year
Learn to Prepare Make-Ahead Yeast Rolls
How To Make A Turkey Pot Pie
Thanksgiving Make-Ahead Casseroles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...