A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do I Go About Making 25 yd Skirts!?!  (Read 600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrazedWizard

I can fly! I can fly! I can...oh s%^$

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2008 02:48:04 AM »

Okay heres the deal;

I'm a belly dancer, I'm broke and I have a show in May that I need a new outfit for. I was looking online and saw what they called "25 yard skirts," they really are 25 yards of fabric sewn in such a as they they look like normal long hippie type skirts except then you move when they bloom out and look amazing. I would really love to make one but I'm not 100% sure on how to sew it together so it looks like a normal skirt. Any help would greatly appreciated...also any leads on good, light, pretty cotton fabric would be wonderful too!
Thank a bunch
CW  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ohhh blog (I hate the word "blog) goodness. http://ribbonsofwords.blogspot.com/
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 06:36:32 AM »

Can you link a picture? It'll help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 06:43:11 AM »

I think the trick is to find a nice lightweight gauze.  It looks just like a full tiered skirt.  To me it seems like the main difference between this and a regular 10 yard skirt is the tiers.  Especially the bottom layer - it looks like a very full ruffle.  I have not made a skirt like this myself but you will need a lot of patience for the massive amount of gathering needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
rachieann55
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 06:58:28 AM »

http://www.farfesha.com/pages/tribal%20skirt.htm
i found this you can use the same concept, just more fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 03:49:48 PM »

::smacks self in the forehead::
<<<<Check out my avatar. Not quite 25 yards, but the last two ruffles measure out at more than a circle each, it spins fantasticaly Smiley

I'm guessing as the 10 yard skirt is 3 tiers, the 25 yard skirt is probably 4 or 5 tiers, otherwise the layers wouldn't flow into each other.

The math in that tute is nicely laid out so same instructions but instead of finding your strip depth from dividing by 3 you'll divide by 5.  So if you want a skirt length of 36", each tier will be cut at 7 1/2" (rounding up a hair for easy cutting).

The ratio for good flow from one tier to the next is "half again more". If tier 1 is 4 yards, tier 2 is 6 yards, tier 3 is 9 yards, tier 4 is 14 yards (hmm, more than 25 yards- I suck at math but you get the idea Smiley ).

If you really want to get ambitious (and find a few extra bucks) do the math first then do each tier a different color.

OH! Adding this:
You don't want to try & gather 3, 5, 7+ yard bits on a sigle thread- bleah! Make any arbitrary midpoints you want (quarters, one yard sections, whatever) & gather shorter sections for your sanity & fingers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 03:54:43 PM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 06:00:54 PM »

Penlowe's got the right idea.  The number of tiers, and proportioning of them, is a lot of what gives the skirt the fullness.  I actually mapped out a pattern for her tutorial (I think it's yours, Penlowe, at least!) and found that six tiers on an ankle length skirt would total out at 10 yards, given the 1.5 increase per tier, starting with 1.5x my waist (since I prefer a more fitted waistband), and I can get the whole skirt's worth out of 5 yds. of ~45" fabric.  In order to do 25 yds. in the hem (I considered it, mine's for bellydancing, too, but it's also for regular wear, and that seems heavy) I'd start with the bottom tier, and work my way up, in the math.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Sweating Benefits Skin and Cellulite
How to Look Like a Celeb in Pictures
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products That Actually Work
How to Do Your Makeup Like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Smell Gorgeous on the Go! Try This DIY Solid Perfume
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...