A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Leap Day Wedding! ***Edited with more photo goodness!***  (Read 3862 times)
Tags for this thread: favors  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redheadedblonde

Now we're in Gumby; I'm gonna walk through a book.

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2008 08:21:38 PM »

I just got married on Friday, February 29th, so I don't have a ton of photos yet, but I wanted to give some props to my hubby (and a little to me!) for some of our crafty wedding things.  Our parents live far away, so we were pretty much it as far as the planning and execution went. 

It was pretty much perfect.  Grin

Here is our invitation - the back has all of the pertinent information in pink ink.  I highly recommend marrying a Graphic Designer/Artist for wicked invites.  Wink

I made our flowers. I found a GREAT place on line to order mini calla lilies for a decent price.  I was able to make 5 bridesmaid's bouquets, my bouquet, a flower girl bouquet, 15 boutonnieres for the guys, five corsages, and two mini "tussie mussies" for the mothers' of the bride/groom for pretty cheap.  The bouquets were pretty easy to make with just floral tape, ribbon, and pearl-head pins (and some double sided tape if necessary).

The girl's bouquets... The guys just had one calla with white or black ribbon wrapped around the stem. (Pink flowers had black ribbon - white flowers, white).  I HIGHLY suggest asking your bridesmaids to just pick out their own little, black dress to wear.  My girls LOVED getting something they would actually wear again that looked good on them and didn't cost a fortune.  ...And that they didn't match or have jewelry that wasn't their style.

We were married outside at the Dallas Arboretum in "A Woman's Garden."  Luckily, the weather cooperated and the wonderful woman who helped us at the Arboretum recommended we get an airstar light - otherwise it would have been pitch black after a while...

I made felt flowers for my five nephews to wear on their pink shirts (with black pants - they walked my mom down the aisle - all 5 crazy boys 12 and under) so they didn't have to worry about pins sticking into them.  Here's the second to the youngest.  He's two.

We did the lazo ceremony to make my dad and his mom happy.  It's a traditionally Catholic (mostly in Hispanic areas) ceremony where you are draped with a three-cord lasso by the mothers to signify that your bond is stronger when God is part of your marriage.  Although we're not Catholic, my dad (who's a pastor), was asked to include this in a lot of wedding ceremonies he did for people who grew up Catholic and changed denominations, but didn't want to lose some of their traditions.  It's pretty neat, but we didn't really want to do it - this was our "All right - now you can't complain in 10 years when we don't do the one thing you asked for" part of our wedding.  You can plainly see our opinion...

Our reception was held at the amazing Lakewood Theater in Dallas.  It's gorgeous -the staff is incredible, and the place was so neat we just decorated with a million tealights popped out of their metal holders and into cheap a-dozen-for-2-dollar holders from Ikea.  Oh, and we put our bouquets in nice square vases (2.50 from Ikea) strategically around the place.  Every other seat can be made into a table at the theater, which was great - but there (luckily) wasn't much room for anything other than a candle.

Our marquee:

The inside:

Our nerdiness showed up on the groom's cake.  We actually got these at a shower my work at Southwest threw for me.  I have the best coworkers. :-)

Our favors! (A joint effort)  We had our reception in a restored Art Deco movie theater - so they're our "concession" (ha ha) to the movies.

We filled popcorn boxes with a few scoops of air-popped popcorn (no grease) for the big send off... (It was way better getting pelted with popcorn rather than rice or birdseed).

And then put our goodies on the top. Each bag had a toy dinosaur or two, some 1 inch buttons we made out of fun pictures we found in magazines, a sticky hand toy, and lots o candy!  I'm eating some twizzlers and smarties as we speak....

My favorite combination of buttons - I have no idea who got the bag that had this stellar grouping - I hope they weren't offended.  Smiley

The big sendoff...

And last but not least - we had the MOST amazing photographer: Hal Samples of Dallas (www.halsamples.com).  His signature is to put up a white backdrop and take pictures of groups of guest.  We were able to print out copies of photos and give them to guests in a nice, white card on location.  Just one per group of guests, though - we only had the stuff for 200 pics.  Those are my favorite pics.  As the night wore on (and there was more imbibing of alcohol), they got more fun.

Sorry to put so many pics up!  Thanks for looking! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008 11:32:17 PM by redheadedblonde » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
endlessly_intricate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 08:35:07 PM »

Wow!  What an awesome wedding. I really like the popcorn idea and the treat bags look like such fun. Best wishes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 09:59:17 PM »

Soooo on your fourth year of marriage, are you going to just tell everyone you've been married for 1, like people who were born on leap year?
I really like your invites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 11:59:00 PM »

Congratulations! Your invites are so cool! I guess marrying a graphic designer/artist really does have its perks.  Cheesy I really like the pins. And just hope whomever got the jesus and pinup girl combination has a sense of humor... Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 05:04:42 AM »

Very nice and super fun!  I cannot wait to see more photos from your big day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
zarafa
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 05:19:56 AM »

i love the invite design.  and i, for one, would be stoked to get the jesus pin.  but that could just be because i am big on mocking all things catholic  Cheesy (no offense meant to any catholics here)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittenana
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 09:19:02 AM »

The invites are gorgeous and and the pin-up pin is the same picture my fiance used as inspiration for a tattoo he got recently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tisteeni
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 12:00:32 PM »

I love the creativity! That's great that you put your flowers together yourself. That can get sooo expensive.

My boss got married last September and used orange calle lillies. She searched high and low for a good deal, but it still ended up VERY expensive. I never even thought of suggesting putting the boquets together.

I can't wait for the rest of the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who says that we have to be rich, and we can't get paid for setting good examples?

http://www.wists.com/teeni
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008 06:42:53 AM »

That is soooo cool Q!! SOOO creative - I love it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008 08:16:18 PM »

Congrats on getting married.  I LOVE the popcorn idea! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Choosing Image from Sequences
Setting Up the Camera
Camera Set Up
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...