A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Louisa, KY (Long Background, Lots of Pics)  (Read 9566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

troll1984
« on: March 04, 2008 08:21:37 PM »

I am from a tiny town in Kentucky, called Louisa. I grew up there and have a love/hate relationship with the town. The population is about 2000, and everyone is in everyone else's business.

Jewelry is my craft of choice, (even though I do a little of everything), so I have made a bracelet, necklace and pair of earrings representing 3 things from my hometown.

**Story Behind the Bracelet **

Louisa sits at the meeting point of two rivers, and they form a third river where they meet. The Tug River forms the border to West Virginia and the Levisa comes from within Kentucky. They both travel South to North. When they meet in Louisa, the name changes to the Big Sandy River. In October 2000, a slurry compound broke, spilling millions of gallons of coal sludge into the Tug River. While the effects were felt greater in areas south of Louisa, we still felt the impact. The slurry traveled down the Tug and into the Big Sandy. After a little while, the slurry started backing up the Levisa River, making it about a mile to the water treatment plant. The town was basically shut down for a little over a week until the water was usable again. Here is a news story reporting 4 years later about the disaster.
http://www.ohvec.org/links/news/archive/2004/fair_use/10_11.html

For my bracelet I was inspired by this woven bracelet by alohamom2three.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=220669.0

I have two strands that come together to one strand. I wanted blue focal beads (even though the rivers aren't blue, it's still a water reference) and used black seed beads on the Tug River side and blue seed beads on the Levisa side. As I got closer to where they meet, I slowly added black seed beads into the Levisa side. Where they meet, I alternated the two different focal beads and used mainly black seed beads with a few blue ones. I wanted this bracelet to remind me of the way of life where I come from. The company that spilled the slurry was given a slap on the wrist, as coal is a way of life here. I could go on and on about it, but I think that's long enough.

**Story Behind the Necklace**

Crossing the two rivers mentioned above is a bridge. The bridge is listed in Ripley's Believe it or Not. It spans two rivers (Tug and Levisa Fork), has a right turn in the center, connects two states (Kentucky and West Virginia), two cities (Louisa, Kentucky, and Fort Gay, West Virginia), two counties (Lawrence County, Kentucky and Wayne County, West Virginia).

When someone not familiar with the area asks how to get to the "Point Section" area of town, locals will often get confused looks when explaining to "Go to the middle of the bridge and turn right." I was inspired by the same bracelets as above but made it longer, and added a Y to it.

**Story Behind the Earrings**

Ok, not really much of a story here. Louisa does have one of the largest lakes in the state, when measured by shoreline. This is because it is mainly a series of connected creeks. There isn't much of a large area of water.

I liked the way it has little branches everywhere, so I made pretty simple earrings. Started with earwires, added a chain, then two headpins with 5 blue seed beads to each of the 8 loops on the chain. Pretty simple.

**End of Story**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
sunshinekitty1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 08:42:17 PM »

Very Neat! And I also enjoyed learning about your home town. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSpice
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 09:30:51 PM »

Wow! I've totally been to Louisa (and Fort Gay)...not a city that you hear about very much while down here in Alabama. Smiley  It's a beautiful area and your jewelry is beautiful to match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
troll1984
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 09:37:14 PM »

Wow, I never thought anyone on here would have heard of it, let alone been there. I went to school in central KY and people there were like "Where is that?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LSpice
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 09:48:06 PM »

I stayed there for a couple of weeks (2 summers, a week each).  I spent a lot of time at the Coca-Cola bottling place...there were several neat shops in town too.  One of my favorite shirts EVER came from Louisa....blue jersey knit top with random pocket (not kangaroo style...one sided) at the stomach Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 10:11:11 PM »

I actually stayed in Louisa about 4 years ago on a church mission trip.
Jewelry is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
grenouille78
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 03:43:50 PM »

The jewelry is pretty and once I read your stories, I totally see the correlation. Neat idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 07:57:06 AM »

OMG! Your jewelry is wonderful and the way it ties into your town is inspired.
Yours is one of the best and most creative representations of the Challenge along with being beautiful and useful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008 10:32:43 AM »

I'm from ohio, but my dad is from Ft Gay ( Class of 68! Go vikings lol) and I go to Marshall. I Lived in Lousia for about 8 months after my dad's surgery...so I was elighted and shocked to see it on here! Lawrence County Represent! LOL Go Bulldogs!( I hope thats the right mascot ;-S)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
troll1984
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008 08:46:42 PM »

Sko Dawgs!! Yep, that's our mascot, though somewhere along the line they lost "Bull" and forgot how to spell dogs. Oh well, It's still the Bulldogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Better Flower Arrangements
How to Make Chalk on the Fly
How to Keep Buttons on
How to Use Leftover Wrapping Paper Scraps
How to Thread a Needle More Easily
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...