A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fireplace mantle--something's missing  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisadee
« on: March 04, 2008 07:55:08 PM »

This is my art deco girl. I love her. I painted the whole living room around her. We're trying to go for a 1930s feel in our (conveniently, 30s) house and this print of a 1928 painting was the first thing I picked out for the house. I found these great ceramic candle holders that match her too, and I had this orange bowl around that kinda sorta goes with her hair. The blue bowl will move. But it still needs something else. I had thought forever about some kind of red vase (I'm using red accents in the room to go with her lips) but I'm having the hardest time finding one that would work. They're all more Japanese style.
Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarm0mma
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 08:12:41 PM »

I love Art Deco, Mercury glass vases or candle sticks would look great. Or maybe one of those great figural vases from the 30's, usually they are pretty easy to find at flea markets. But i know krylon makes a faux mercury glass like paint that's fairly easy to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.- Steven Wright
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 05:22:21 AM »

I have a few suggestions.
Try arranging thing asymmetrically.  I did a terrible little mock up in paint.

Anyhow I agree with the mercury glass, it serves as a kind of neutral tone in the colors.  remember you dont have to make things match perfectly, as much as have them compliment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarm0mma
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 07:40:02 AM »

absolutely! cala lilies in a dramatic vase would look excellent opposite your Jeune fille en vert print. You could try reproduction Fiestaware, a whole lot more affordable than the original stuff and they come in more colors
a turquoise would really pop against that green. Deco was all about drama and sleek lines so go for something fun  Grin   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.- Steven Wright
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 08:03:08 AM »

I'm thinking of the Art Deco look as being stylized but also minimal.  What does the arrangement look like if you leave the fireplace mantel empty and hang your lovely lady off to the right or left just slightly. 

I love your candle sticks, just adore them - but they may be to small to work with your arrangement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 08:43:56 AM »

Asymmetrical is my suggestion too.  I also concur with the fiestaware vase idea.  Lilies seem like the perfect flower for the style of your lovely print. 

I'm all for red accents, but it also looks like that amber color vase you have balances with her skin tone.  The little glass vase is way too small, unfortunately
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisadee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 05:26:09 PM »

wonderful suggestions, everyone, thank you! I think IamSusie's right about the orange bowl, just doesn't do it. I'll post back with another try  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008 10:36:28 AM »

That is a beautiful painting and the wall is one of my favorite colors of green. The one thing that seems to be "not quite there" about the whole thing is the scale of the other items on the mantle with respect to the size of the painting. The painting is large and vertical and the other items seem small by comparison. I think some tall calla lillies in tall vases on either side would help, or possibly some type of sconce, vertical mirror or object hung on the wall on either side of the painting would help tie everything together. Or what if you put a small shelf on either side of the painting and placed the candlesticks on the shelves to give them more height.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008 06:19:11 AM »

My suggestion is to actually hang the painting, not rest it on the mantle. Hang it so that it is spaced between the ceiling and the mantle equally. I feel that this treatment will help with balance issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing.com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.blogspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Bridge CS3 in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Manage Colors in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize Menus and Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Workspace
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Interfaces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...