A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 309,998
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why does this seem so hard? EDITED  (Read 1384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JulyJuly
« on: March 04, 2008 06:35:16 PM »

Edit: Does anyone have a link to a certain free quilt pattern it was somewhat like the one I've seen in the The Modern Quilt Workshop. I found the link yesterday but didn't save it

So a friend of mine jokingly asked my to make him a Miami Dolphin's quilt. Well there's not way I'm doing that directly. It's so clueless bachelor-esque. So I though of making a more modern style quilt for him in Aqua, Coral, Navy, White. Only issue I really don't know much about quilting let alone moder styles. Does anyone have some suggestions or good examples?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008 06:45:01 PM by JulyJuly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

July, July, July
It never seemed so strange
SewHelpMe
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008 01:00:41 PM »

Check out the book "The Modern Quilt Workshop" by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr.  The quilts are modern and beautiful, and their descriptions of how to quilt are fresh and inviting rather than being fuddy duddy or condescending.  You can check out most of the book on Google Books to see if you like it before buying it.

I think it's great that you want to make a quilt!  Don't give up on it!  Do some more research online.  Do a Google Search for "beginner quilting" and you'll come up with tons of stuff to keep you occupied for weeks.

I also suggest attempting a few rail fence and nine patch blocks before trying to sew an entire quilt (no matter how easy).  Rail fence is the easiest block to make, and that way you can test out your 1/4" seam accuracy.

Your local quilt store can help with questions you may have (or ask them on here--everybody's pretty friendly around here).  The quilt store probably has a good selection of beginner patterns if you don't like the book I suggested.

HTH!  Have fun and make sure to post your finished quilt.  I can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008 01:21:40 PM »

I could see denyse schmidt being done very very well as non-team team quilts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliasews
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008 09:26:29 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/groups/683539@N22/  try looking here for great inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulyJuly
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008 06:45:55 PM »

added a new question
THIS ROCKS   Logged

July, July, July
IamSusie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008 02:45:29 PM »

I hope this is a really good friend because making a quilt is a big gift!

If you've never quilted before, you might want to try simple squares and rectangles in Miami Dolphin colors, but not necessarily all Dolphin's fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JulyJuly
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008 04:54:14 PM »

I hope this is a really good friend because making a quilt is a big gift!

If you've never quilted before, you might want to try simple squares and rectangles in Miami Dolphin colors, but not necessarily all Dolphin's fabrics.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Amy's Lotus Brick Path quilt and I always planned on just using the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

July, July, July
lorky
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008 10:39:20 AM »

This is my broncos quilt.  I'm not sure of the pattern you are using but I found a cool pattern (which I didn;t need) and its basically a bunch of various sized strips in 5 rows.  It was a good way to modernize grody sports fabrics.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008 10:39:43 AM by lorky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Hot Hot Pads
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...