A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Go Buckeyes  (Read 8585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tiel
« on: March 04, 2008 05:41:45 PM »

GO BUCKEYES

My hometown is Buckeye Lake, Ohio.  It is located noerth of Columbus, Ohio.  Even though I moved when I was seven this has always and forever my hometown.  I lived in Kissimmee, Fl. for 28 years before moving to Al.  Currently I live in Monroeville, Al and previously in Mobile.  But my heart and soul is in Ohio.  

I've had to post links to the pictures because I have not made ten post yet.  Not sure exactly how I would know how many times I've posted or what exactly counts as a post.  Have to research.  New to this ususally just a shadow.  Sorry!! Cry

By the way I did not know there were other colleges and universities other then Ohio State.  LOL!!!

Here is my handy work.  I've seen to have become the family boxer maker.  My brother-in-law only wants them for presents.  So, I guess you could say he gets them for Christmas and B-Day.  My husband gets the scrubs.  Well, these are mine all mine and NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE is to enter into these besides me.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/tiel-o/hometown/Picture001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/tiel-o/hometown/Picture004.jpg

My hometown history is below.  I really love Buckeye Lake.  It has grown a lot over the years and changed from how I remembered it but it's still home.  I remember going to the amusement park on Saturdays and riding all the rides and running home before the street lights came on for the night.  The paddle boat below would take you around the lake and I can remember going on it and my grandmother holding onto my belt loops so I would not fall overboard.  Bet she regretted doing that later. LOL!!
Old Paddle Boat

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.3 km), of which, 2.0 square miles (5.3 km) of it is land and 0.49% is water. ( Never realized it till now how small of a town I lived in.  I thought it was so big. )
Buckeye Lake originally was a small pond that eighteenth century Ohio Indians called "Big Swamp" or "Big Pond." It remained insignificant to white settlers until the 1820s, when Ohioans began construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal. Workers built a dike that diverted water from the south fork of the Licking River into the small pond, which then became known as the Licking Summit Reservoir. This part of the canal project was completed in 1830.
As the reservoir began to fill, some sphagnum moss broke away from the swampy ground that was being covered. The moss created a floating island that still exists today, known as the Cranberry Bog State Nature Preserve. Although the island once encompassed almost fifty acres, it has been shrinking in recent years. In addition to producing a crop of cranberries each year, the island is also home to some interesting plants and wildlife.
As canals declined in popularity and use in the second half of the nineteenth century, the Ohio and Erie Canal was abandoned and began to deteriorate. The canal's decline did not mean an end to the Licking Summit Reservoir. Instead, the state legislature renamed it Buckeye Lake and made it a public park in 1894. By the early twentieth century, the reservoir had become an attractive location for recreational activities. An electric trolley system, the Columbus, Buckeye Lake and Newark Interurban Electric Railway, connected the park to nearby urban areas. In 1906, a number of men in the area formed the Buckeye Lake Yacht Club, which still exists to this day.
By the 1910s, Buckeye Lake boasted an amusement park on its north shore, as well as a number of hotels, restaurants, and other businesses that catered to tourists. In addition, speakers drew huge crowds as part of a traveling Chautauqua Assembly. In the 1920s, members of the Ku Klux Klan leadership spent their summers at Buckeye Lake, and local newspapers attest to KKK rallies that attracted thousands of people to the area. (I am not proud of this information while trying to find some exact information on my home town.  However, everything has a cover up somewhere.)The Great Depression changed the environment of Buckeye Lake in a significant way. The rail line went out of business, which meant that many people could no longer afford to travel to the park. A number of families began to live in their summer cottages year around, because they could no longer afford their more expensive homes in the cities. The amusement park continued to operate during this era, constantly working to add attractions that would attract more visitors, such as a roller coaster, a roller skating rink, a nightclub, and the Crystal Ballroom and Pool. The ballroom attracted a number of famous performers, such as Guy Lombardo, Count Basie, Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, and Duke Ellington, among others. Grand entertainments continued throughout the 1940s, and the amusement park attracted as many as fifty thousand people each day.
In 1949, the state of Ohio designated Buckeye Lake as a state park. The amusement park began to decline in popularity by the late 1950s and continued to deteriorate in the 1960s. The crowds that had once flocked to the park had disappeared, and buildings were torn down one by one. Visitors to Buckeye Lake today can find only one remaining remnant of the old Buckeye Lake Amusement Park, a fountain that is located as the Buckeye Lake State Park's North Shore.
Although the amusement park no longer exists, the Buckeye Lake State Park still attracts a number of visitors to the area each year. In addition, many people own vacation homes near the lake or live in the area year around.
I cheated and got this information from this website so I would like to share the link.  http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=659
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 06:20:57 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to insert photos for member! :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 06:21:53 PM »

Go Bucks!!! Grin

I changed your links to photos for ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Tiel
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 06:32:51 PM »

Thanks Sweets4ever.  I'm new to all this.  Found out I have 5 posts.  My husband thinks I am crazy for doing this.  I love seeing what eveyone does on this site.  It gives me ideas of my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluesmom

See my work on Ravelry: ILoveMath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 07:11:45 PM »

hehe these are cute, great job!!  and I keep thinking about that commercial on espn... GO BUCKEYES!  I linked it below because I think it's funny Smiley
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXmu6pTctXw
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiel
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 12:41:19 PM »

My brother is a Michigan fan.  We can't be in the house at the same time during Ohio vs Michigan game.  Just not a good situation.  LOL !!!  Commercial was funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 03:12:58 PM »

Go Bucks!  I go to OSU!  But I'm not from around here, so I had no idea there was a Buckeye Lake.  Just Mirror Lake... but it's actually a lake... nevermind.

Great job on the undies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
Tiel
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 05:10:28 PM »

Buckeye Lake is about 35 nw of OSU campus off 70.  It's near Newark, and Hebron Ohio.  It's a small town with alot of fond memories.  The sad part is the amusement park closed down the year I moved away which was app. 1972-73.  Those were the days.  Crime was unheard of in the town.  Strangers were rare.  Most always related to of friends of someone you already knew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jsumonkeygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 05:35:31 PM »

WAAAAYYYY off topic.....but....

Monroeville?!? No freaking way! It is cool to know I have some "neighbors" here at craftster. I am in Prattville, and I have family in the Monroeville area. It would make a terrific city to craft for this challenge--too bad I am not from there!  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaLaHappy

giggle. it's good for you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008 05:38:54 PM »

Those are so awesome! I want a pair.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I have wists too!
...and personal swap friendly.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008 06:11:46 PM »

I represent the "Birthplace of the Tomato." Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Versace Spring 2014
Get the Look from Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2014
Get the Look from Chanel Spring 2014
Get the Look from Christian Dior Spring 2014
Naomi Watts Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...