A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress/Work Pants Patterns?  (Read 1822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinapickles
« on: January 20, 2005 12:18:46 PM »

Hello,
I hope I'm posting in the right spot.

I'm looking for a dress/work pant pattern that's reminisent of Katherine Hepburn...long, wide legged & cuffed.  However, unlike Ms. Hepburn, I wear my pants about an inch or so below my belly-button/natural waist.

Can anyone reccomend a good (and easy??!!!) pattern?

Thank you for your help.

Tina.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for STRESS, I'd have no energy at all....
kate conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005 04:03:17 PM »

I don't have any specific recommendations, but I have the following suggetions -

Check out the sportswear section of the Vogue and Burda pattern collections. Nevermind the difficulty level - since these patterns usually include blazers or suitcoats, if they're rated advanced it's most likely because of the blazers.

Second, it's pretty rare that pants patterns don't come up to the natural waistline, so I would be prepared to alter a pattern. It's not as hard as it seems. Just trace the pattern pieces onto tracing paper or non-fusible interfacing before you begin, so that if you don't like the result you can go back to the original pattern again. Also, make a muslin for fitting, especially if you may make several pairs of pants from the pattern - that way you know exactly what you'll get when you cut into nicer fabric.

There is another thread around here about pants patterns with lower waistlines - maybe it would be easiest to alter one of those patterns to get the look you want?

here is that thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21681.msg176470#msg176470
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mianhanson
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005 06:38:25 PM »

Not sure if it's exactly what you want, but I would suggest looking at the pants in Simplicity Easy Chic #5792.  They're wide legged, side zipper, no pockets, and no waistband.  To lower the waist, you can just move the facing down.  The legs don't have cuffs, but that would be simple to add.  Try out a test pair from scrap fabric.

I use this pattern for all my work pants, with the legs slightly narrowed and an extra inch in the back of the crotch.  My waist is a size 8 and my hips are a 10 (today's sizing, larger in the pattern), so it's impossible to buy pants which fit off the rack.  After a couple test pairs, the first of which was hilariously not right, they're real easy to sew.  Most recently, I made two pairs out of a cotton/polyester double knit which drapes nicely but feels like I'm wearing pajamas at work Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005 07:14:09 PM »

ooh, great feedback. i was looking for somethign just like that!  have you tried makignthe pants using a wool or garbardine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005 12:39:26 PM »

Another pattern to look at would be Vogue's 8131 http://store.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V8131.jpg -- eliminating the yoke and making a facing.  I love the ones with the slash pockets.  If I wasn't such a shorty, I'd make myself a pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narcissaqtpie

I can't control the soul flowin' in me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005 02:29:35 PM »

I've made McCalls 3935. they are really comfy, extra easy and wont take long to make at all. If you want the leg wider you should be able to modify it easily

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3935.htm?tab=skirts_pants&page=3

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005 02:34:16 PM by narcissaqtpie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 10:27:36 AM »

Anthropologie has a beautiful pair of "Cuffed Katherine Trousers" for a whopping $118.  http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6567&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=283&iMainCat=15.  Any ideas on how to make that pretty thing?  Material/pattern suggestions happily accepted!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
May 31st: Rod Save The Queen
Sweetness and Art: Short Film
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
May 4th: Kiss & Sell
Young British Artist Kitty Clark Talks About the YBAs and Her Artwork
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...