A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bright Flowers Tape Measure Cozy  (Read 15595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 04, 2008 08:26:12 AM »

A stash-busting cozy for a plain vanilla tape measure.

You push the translucent pink flower button on top and the tape retracts.

Personalized on the back for a favorite 19-year-old who likes to sew...

The little plastic pull tab didn't match the funky colors, so off it came. I replaced it with ribbon and a button from my stash. (The dark part on the end of the ribbon is the fray check, not yet dried. Sorry!)

Here you can see the tape measure pulled out.

NOTE: The top design is based on a patch I saw somewhere, maybe here or FLIKR...I'm sorry I can't give credit. I have to start taking note of that kind of thing!

Question: How important do you think it is to the overall attractiveness to have the stitching on the sides lined up? I notice that I did a reaaaally bad job of making them match. Does it matter?
Other Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

All together in one place:

Here's all you need, measurements obtained from whatever tape measure you buy:

Step 1: Make a pattern for the case, then cut it out. 

a.  Begin by measuring your tape measure's plastic casing. Mine was 2 1/8", and I used Publisher to draw a perfect circle as a pattern. You might trace yours or use a compass.

b.  Next, measure the circumference and the thickeness of the tape measure casing. Mine was 6" around by 1/2" deep exactly. Again, I used Publisher to draw this shape. You can use a ruler. Trim these pieces, then cut them out of your base color felt.

Step 2: Embellish the felt.

Step 3: Construct the cozy.

a.  Decide where you want the tape to come out. I chose to have the tape poke out at the bottom right of the design, since all the people I've made them for are right handed and the user should be able to see the design as they pull the tape measure out. 

b. Sew the top to the side strip. I used the blanket stitch , in short, even stitches. Your thread could coordinate or contrast with your base felt color, but if you're not very practiced at the stitch, go with thread that matches your felt to hide a multitude of goofs!

c.  Begin sewing the bottom to the side strip. When you're about halfway through, slip the tape measure case inside and line up the end of the tape measure with the slit in the side. Finish stitching. Tie off neatly and poke your knot back inside the cozy.

Step 4: Dress it up.  If the little plastic piece at the end of your tape measure doesn't match, cover it! Here's how, copied from my sheepish cover elsewhere on Craftster.

a. Pull out several inches of the tape measure. Clip a big honking office clip tightly about 3" from the end of the tape measure. (WHY? Ha. The first one I tried rolled up right on itself inside, even though it had been stuck on a "click" when I let it go as gently as I knew how! I pried the case open and tried to rewind, but nothing I did returned it to a useable condition. I ended up cutting the tape measure off and gluing it along the edge of my sewing table. I threw the spring and case away.  *Sigh.*)

b. CAREFULLY remove the little plastic end that came on the tape measure, using a blade if you need to.  Be sure to leave enough room for the button to be sewn on so it doesn't cover the numbers, even if it means the ends are ugly. You'll be covering them up, anyway

c.  Cut two pieces of ribbon: a 3/4" long strip and another, longer strip about 1 1/2".

d.  Make a V from the longer piece of ribbon. Use a little dot of quick-tack glue to hold the V next to the end of the tape measure, being careful not to get too close to the Zero measurement.

e. Wrap the 3/4" strip around the whole thing, both the V and tape measure. Let the raw edge end up where your button will cover it. Again, use a dot of quick-tack glue to hold all this together.

f. Sew the button through all layers using double thread. Hide your knot under your button and the back will look clean.

Et voila...you're done! Grin

(A finished picture of the latest coming soon.)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 07:57:42 AM by batgirl - Reason: to add tute to 1st page » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Purelectricity
It's electric.

I'm a paper bag in real life.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 08:29:19 AM »

Wow!  this is so cute!  And I love how you made your design functional with the light pink button.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 08:37:45 AM »

That really is cute! I love how the design is functional too, and the end of the tape measure with the button and ribbon is really fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
littlebluegirl
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 08:47:54 AM »

BRILLIANT!  Love the functionality aspect too.  Wisting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafox
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 08:49:38 AM »

oh this is soooo cute! What a great gift idea!
Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamonsterz
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 08:54:16 AM »

I think the stitching looks good, I am not usually one for matching completely.  And I love the colors! Pretty yet functional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 08:55:39 AM »

I love it. I don't think it matters if the stitching matches up. Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008 09:01:49 AM »

This is great, I prefer stitching to NOT match up on funky colors like this, it's so cute!  How did you make it so that pushing the button retracts it???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
Mamaphunk
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008 09:17:12 AM »

This is way too cute!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will be out of town June 11-20 with limited computer access. (Be patient with me, I'm on the beach!)
LaLaHappy

giggle. it's good for you.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008 09:23:04 AM »

Oh so adorable! (didn't even notice the stitches not being lined up  Grin ) Wisting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I have wists too!
...and personal swap friendly.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How the Perfect Haircut Can Help You Tackle Your Goals
How to Master the DIY Blowdry With Peter Butler
Perfect Hair to Complement Your Beret
Get Hollywood Glam S-Waves
How to Rock These Holiday Hair Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...