A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Denver loves beer!!!  (Read 8557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2008 07:56:28 AM »

Denver, my new hometown as of a few months ago, loves microbreweries.  Colorado has more microbreweries than any other state.  And I am all for celebrating the rebirth of good beer  Grin  So, I figured some beer cozies needed to be made to celebrate my new hometown!

I started by crocheting a circle a couple rows larger than the base of a beer bottle (since I was going to felt, and shrink), then just worked even up to the right height.  I thought it would be cute to replicate the label on the cozy, so I worked a contrasting color in the size of the standard beer label.
Heres a pic of changing color for the label:

And the embroidery stitching I did for the letters:

And before and after felting (the N was my tester):

And one more pre-felting pic with all the cozies ready to go:

Anyways, I love how they ended up, after felting, looking like the letter is cut out of the labelor something Wink  And, I love the idea of everyone at a party having unique cozies so no beers get lost!

Oh, and I'm not advocating the beer in the pics....those are just what we have left over  Cheesy  I am advocating all the fabulous brews that are concocted here - Fat Tire and such.

I am absolutely in love with our new hometown - Denver is a fantastic place to live - especially downtown!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008 12:39:00 PM by opivygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lustwithscissors
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 08:12:46 AM »

i love this... !!!!! you did an awsome job.. im not going to pretend what you mean by felting.. but, i think its seriously awsome.!! it allmost reaminds me of yellow tail.. (sorry i'm more of a wine person).. but anyway you rock !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 09:13:28 AM by lustwithscissors » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 08:52:31 AM »

Great idea, very creative and perfectly executed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 10:13:27 AM »

That's such a cute idea! Handy too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 10:52:24 AM »

What a great way to identify which beer bottle is yours!
The color choice and the design are wonderful.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngelKrafter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 01:37:25 PM »

I think you did a great job representing your hometown and you have spelled it out in your challenge. You definetly have my vote. What I been looking for to vote on is someone putting their hometown name on their challenge otherwise I couldn't tell by looking at it what their hometown was. You did that. I love the colors of yarn you used as well. Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 02:52:04 PM »

Neat Idea.  I like the idea of unique cozies for everyone's beer.  Less likely to be lost (or swallowed) than drink charms.  Since I'm not so good with the needlework, I'm going to have to look into making them out of felt or fleece.  Hmmm...  By the way, as long as you are trying local brews, have you checked out Golden City or Tommy Knocker.  I know the folks involved and they make a some good brews. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 08:44:07 AM »

Thanks for all the super nice comments everyone  Cheesy

I'm so used to posting on the crochet board that I forget to explain things that I take for granted!  Felting (technically "fulling", but we usually call it felting) is done with a crocheted or knitted object that was made with yarn that has mostly natural animal fibers.  Once you've finished crocheting the object you beat the heck out of it by hand or in the washing machine with hot water and a little soap.  After a few minutes, the fibers have melded together and you end up with a 'felted' object.

Oh, how I swoon over Yellow Tail, too... If only I could make universal red wine glass cozies...............

I forgot to mention in my original post that I used the army-like colors as a nod to the Air Force Academy near us.  Looking back at the photos, the last pic has the most accurate representation of the colors, but all the photos made the colors a little muddier than they are in person.

We have not tried Golden City or Tommy Knocker yet!  I'm trying to plan a "Tour of Beer Country" for this spring/summer and they are deffinitely getting added to the list!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
santacruzsugar
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008 10:39:45 AM »

is that blue moon i see in those super cute cozies?

mmmmm  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brii-elzebub

Tissue papers yummy!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008 09:55:28 PM »

Ah Blue moon is delicious!  You can't just ignore the greatness that is inside of the cozys! 

I'm in Fort Collins, which is a HUGE beer town in CO.  We've got Budweiser, New Belgium, and Odell.  Without a doubt Odell is my favorite Colorado beer...they've got Easy Street Wink  Not one to be missed!

Beer is such a great way to represent this state!  I would have never thought of it, but its absoloutly the foundation of our world, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fry Bacon
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
How the New Orleans Dosant Was Created
Tart and Tangy Tuna Salad Recipe
4 Ways to Make School Sack Lunches More Fun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...