A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hamburg Ahoi!  (Read 25539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krtek
« on: March 04, 2008 05:28:55 AM »

Hello everyone!

This is my first challenge entry, so I'm a bit nervous Wink English is not my native language and I apologise for any mistake I may make.

Let's start with a picture of what I did because everyone wants pictures, right?

I've had the idea for my project in mind for some time and when this challenge came about I knew I had to participate. I never even had to think hard about the place I live or how I could work its features into a project. It all came together naturally and I think it fits this challenge's theme perfectly.

I have lived in Hamburg, Germany for 6 years now. Hamburg is Germany's second-largest city and located at a river close to the North Sea. Hamburg Harbour is the second-largest port in Europe. The city's official name is "Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg" (referring to the ancient European trading association, the Hanse). So of course seafaring (i had to look that word up Wink) and trade have always been important around here.

Hamburg is a beautiful city, I immediately fell in love with it when I first moved here. It's got a city center with two lakes which looks a bit like Venice,
it's got a beach where one can spend the day watching the container ships moving up and down the river Elbe. It's a great place to live and it has this maritime flair which I love.

Of course my challenge project had to incorporate this spirit.

I have this German Navy coat which basically was okay as it was. Still, it could do with a little something to make it more "me" and more unique as well.
(This is what it looks like from the front, in case you are interested)

I've had the idea of designing a traditional sailor's tattoo with seagulls instead of swallows (because seagulls are everywhere around here) for a while but
did not approach it until this challenge. To start with I had a hard time with the seagulls. They were supposed to resemble typical tattoo-swallows while still being recognizable as seagulls (and not doves). In the end I drew a whole tattoo design around them. The tattoo includes quite a few other elements each of which stands for something. And it's quite suitable for a navy jacket, isn't it?

I embroidered and appliqued it on the back of the jacket. I'm still thinking about adding more to the sleeves. It's like having a real tattoo, I think. Once you started there is no stopping. Wink

The anchor of course means home, coming home, staying. The small stars and the cross at the top are taken from Hamburg's coat of arms. The nautical stars in red and green are coloured according to the position lights on a ship. Red is portside (left) and green is starboard (right). And the heart is for love, needless to say. I added the waves to give it more background. I thought about adding clouds as well but decided against it.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress:

So, I hope you like my contribution. Even if nothing more comes from this challenge I am glad to have this piece done (which would have taken a lot longer if it wasn't for the deadline). It makes me happy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hughsie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 05:35:40 AM »

This is amazing. I am particularly impressed by the seagulls, which really look like seagulls whilst still retaining the swallow-feel. Congratulations, this is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 05:37:54 AM »

This is truly spectacular!
Wow, I am seriously impressed, the whole tattoo idea tying in so beautifully with the maritime theme.
I think this is great
well done
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Grieney

rambunctiously soft-spoken

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 05:38:25 AM »

Great job! I'm always impressed by embroidery because I have less than zero patience with that sort of stuff.  Wink If you were going to add something to the sleeves, maybe down by the cuffs? It would keep the military feel.  It looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes, my parents know that I'm a hooker

Wist : Blog : Etsy :
grendelsmom
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 05:49:14 AM »

Stunning work, krtek, truly outstanding!  You pulled it all together so beautifully.  I especially love the seagulls, you got them just right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violet_thistle
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 06:19:46 AM »

Krtek,

I love this coat so much! I think this is absolutely the perfect item to represent Hamburg, especially after the pictures and description you provided of the city. The small German flag on the sleeve (probably already there) is perfect! I love the style and construction of the coat itself, but the great 'tatoo' on the back makes it completely wearable! I love everything about the tatoo - it is all so professionally done. I think it is the layering of different things that really makes it top notch!

Ich liebe es so viel! (I hardly ever get to use my tiny German language knowledge Wink )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 07:04:08 AM »

I love this so much---I would wear it in a heartbeat!  I love the seagulls--we have so many of those where I am from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andi.Devine
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008 07:18:04 AM »

This is so awesome.  I love the embroidery detail and adore the seagulls!
Also, please let me say, your english is exemplary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.   -Bokonon
sarantha
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008 07:18:30 AM »

Wow, I like it a lot! And it is just perfect for talking a walk in that most beautiful of German cities - I happen to live quite close to Hamburg myself, so I'm a bit biased I guess  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
katreva
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008 07:25:50 AM »

This is wonderful! Everything looks so professional and neat, and the composition is perfect. I love the seagulls-- what a creative idea. Also, the waves were a good addition I think. Nice job. Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Spooky MasterChef Junior Cookie Decoration Contest
How to Make Dark Chocolate Caramel Almond Candy with Sea Salt
How to Make 90 Second Mash-Up Cupcakes
How to Make Pumpkin Spiced "Cronuts"
Easy Macaron Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...