A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rocket Science and Cotton Farming - lots o' pics  (Read 4887 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 03, 2008 08:23:38 PM »

Hi all,

Here's my addition to the challenge.  I call Huntsville, AL my hometown these days and I really wanted to make something for the good old Rocket City.  My main hobby is to paint eggs (which is appropriate considering how big the egg and poultry industry is in rural Alabama).  I've traveled around a fair bit and in no other place have I seen pure rural imagery crashing into high technology like it does here.  In Research Park, there are world class research centers with cotton fields for neighbors.  Imagine denim-clad, Chevy truck-driving folks with thick Southern drawls talking about rocket systems and microchips over "pig sandwiches" at a bbq joint within "spitting distance" of NASA.  I love this town!

Here's the finished piece:
Rockets - Huntsville is the original home of the US Space Program.  The Saturn Rockets were developed here and several old rockets stand guard over the city from the US Space and Rocket Center.

Cotton - Even though Cummings Research Park is reportedly the second largest research park in the United States, and the fourth largest in the world, it is still interspersed with large fields where cotton is grown every year.  Before the rockets, Huntsville made lots of cotton.

Here are some additional views of the Saturn Rockets and cotton fields:

Here are some "in progress" pics... You can see what a mess my desk is:

And finally, here are some pics that show some of what inspired me to make this ornament:
Rockets -

Cotton and Research -

Thank you for looking!  I hope you enjoyed the lovely dichotomy of my hometown as much as I do! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

childs play
Apple Creek Designs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 08:40:52 PM »

That's really nice! Great imagery. Huntsville is a cool city, I've been there a couple of times. Also, it's my brother-in-law's dream to move there and work for NASA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 08:43:20 PM »

Go Alabama!! (Not the team, the state Smiley) I live in Mobile and went to college in B-ham, although I am originally from TN. Your egg is cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eukarya

Crazy loves me!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 08:58:30 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that other people here know and love Alabama in general and "Huntsvegas" in particular. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hughsie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 02:12:43 AM »

The egg is gorgeous! There's such a lot of town pride captured there as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 03:31:39 AM »

The egg is absolutely beautiful......mom and dad lived in Huntsville for 40 yrs.  It is nice city and even after all these years I have not been to the space center.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 03:55:42 PM by panda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 03:49:49 AM »

Ok, first off "huntsvegas" made me laugh!!  I swear, everything in Alabama gets a "vegas"  at the end of it!!  (a few of our friends thrown a vegas at the end of their cities too lmao)

Those are really pretty fabulous eggs!!! you did a magnificent job!

I love Huntsville!  Dh is an aerospace engineer as a contractor for Marshall (he works on the external tank) and travels to Huntsville often!  We actually moved there for a month after Hurricane Katrina because that is where they sent all the engineers to work from down here! lol  We could see the Saturn Rockets from our Hotel!!  Dh has a few college buddies that work at Redstone.

I'd totally move to Huntsville, if it weren't for all those darned "bama" fans!!  (dh is an Auburn grad lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
eukarya

Crazy loves me!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008 05:47:46 AM »

Ok, first off "huntsvegas" made me laugh!! 

I would love to know where this thing originated.  Lots of people around here do the "huntsvegas" thing.  I've never understood it.  It's not something we would do out west where I grew up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008 06:13:48 AM »

I'm also in Huntsville!
We moved here a bit over 2 years ago and I just love it here!
I can not think of a place I would rather be to be honest with you - and I have lived in oodles of places.  I love Huntsville.
Okay, I am not a football fan so the whole Bama/Auburn thing just goes right over me fortunately.  But for those that don't understand - Walmart even has one of those stores in the front of the building - you know next to the infamous incredibly stinky nail salon - that is only Auburn/Bama merchandise.

Man.  I wish they would rip that out and put in an Auntie Anne's pretzel place like my Walmart had in PA! That was awesome!  I miss my pretzels at Walmart.

Okay. there are a few things that I would like to see added here! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
feelix

I love Crazy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008 06:14:49 AM »

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are so talented!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back from a long break. WOOT!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Change Game Plan in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...