A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Building a Drum Carder  (Read 19036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

digitallasagna
« on: March 03, 2008 07:37:46 PM »

So I don't know if anyone else is as crazy as I am, but I went looking at the prices for both hand and drum carders and was like  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

So then, being the mechanical engineering major I am, I started looking at the design, and was like, I can build that (and probably cheaper)! So then I started drafting out possibilities of reusing an old bike chain + gear system with a box and spinning cylinders.

And it all would work out great if I knew how stiff the metal teeth are in a drum carder that way I can find the right material (wire?) to wrap around the cylinders. If any of ya'll have a drum carder and can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

And don't worry, my next step is figuring out how to build my own wheel (hmmm.... maybe I should get extra credit for this in my MechE design class haha Smiley  )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 04:44:20 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=180605.0 here is another topic that had the similar question as you did. I tried to look for some online, but didnt find alot of them. Good luck, hopefully it might give you some inspiration. Maybe you can even try to use cheap items or PVC pipes like how some spinning wheel are cheaper but great when made out of simple objects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blue_Frog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 06:57:12 AM »

I don't know if this helps, but these people make carding cloth (the cloth with the little metal hook pins in it)

http://www.howardbrush.com/drumcards.html

I can't find any decent instructions either, maybe a further google search will come up with something
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 07:17:30 AM »

Yeah, the problem is that the carding cloth is extremely expensive, and that would be the one part that you wouldn't want to DIY. 

Looks to be about $105 for the cloth, depending on your source I s'pose.  Mielke's Farm also carries carding cloth by special order:  http://www.mielkesfarm.com/hd_cd_dm.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
digitallasagna
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 03:16:58 PM »

Since that cloth is so expensive, I'm still not inclined to purchase it. And still being myself, I'm trying to figure out how that cloth is made. So far, the best way I've come up with to replicate it is to overlay wire mesh with certain "prongs" cut out of it, and several layers of it to create finer mesh. I was then thinking that to cover the "ugly" background, the wire could poke out of cotton cloth or some fabric.

It would take FOREVER, but I'm willing to do that if it saves me $$$. Wire mesh is cheap, and I can get rolls of it for a reasonable price. For the mechanical part of the drum carder, I plan on using an old bike chain and its gears. I'm a cheap college student (when every penny counts), and spinning is an expensive hobby once you're past the drop spindle (well, even for that the fiber is expensive unless you use old pet shavings ..... Wink).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Jumping Frog
How to Make an Origami Fish
How to Make an Origami Lily
How to Make an Origami Bat
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...