A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rebirth of NOLA, screw hurricanes  (Read 9210 times)
Tags for this thread: new_orleans , venus , mississippi_river , watercolor , poster , nola  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 03, 2008 02:45:15 PM »

Hey there everyone. So I live in New Orleans where I study art history at the terrible University of New Orleans. It's way different from Tulane and Loyola, and no one's ever heard of it unless they live here or went there (people do that sometimes). Anyway, to combine my love of art history and the rebuilding efforts of my city, I made this watercolor painting:

It's based off of Boticelli's Birth of Venus, but instead shows our city's patron saint, the goddess NOLA (which I just made up) rising from the Mississippi River. The bridge in the back is the GNO (Greater New Orleans) which connects the two banks. The east bank is represented by the Superdome, while the west bank (which some call the "Best Bank" but I call the "Skank Bank") is symbolized by industry.

By the way, NOLA is the city's abbreviation New Orleans, LouisianA.

I had some posters locally printed, and I sell them at various art markets around the city. I also help my friends sell their work without the pressure of having to fill an entire booth for a market.

You can find out more about my art group at our site, www.rebirthnola.org.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaLaHappy

giggle. it's good for you.

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 03:08:29 PM »

Shocked That is so beautiful! I used to live nearby in Houma (about 45 minutes south of NOLA, for those who don't know).

Beautiful work. Just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I have wists too!
...and personal swap friendly.
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 03:30:44 PM »

1. Thats pretty amazing.
2. We almost have the same craftster name Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 04:41:34 PM »

Very cool!  I have some friends that live and were living in Uptown at the time of Katrina.  She goes to Loyola  Smiley now for her Masters.  I will ask them if they have seen your poster around.  We go see them every Christmas for a couple of days around New Year's and were there the Christmas immediately after Hurricane Katrina.  It was shocking.  Amazingly, my friend's new (to them) house was not damaged in the slightest. Very cool poster-will send link to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 05:45:24 PM »

THIS ROCKS!!!  I'm from NOLA too!!!  I go to college in Ohio, and people here just don't understand what NOLA's all about, and they pretty much have no idea what "recover, rebuild, rebirth" is (but don't get me started on that).  I think this work is amazing - I love it so much!  I think my favorite part is the East Bank and the West Bank (I always call it "the Wank" hahaha) in the background. 

Oh, and I know that UNO isn't just a card game ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 06:15:05 PM »

THIS ROCKS!!!  I'm from NOLA too!!!  I go to college in Ohio, and people here just don't understand what NOLA's all about, and they pretty much have no idea what "recover, rebuild, rebirth" is (but don't get me started on that).  I think this work is amazing - I love it so much!  I think my favorite part is the East Bank and the West Bank (I always call it "the Wank" hahaha) in the background. 

My mom and younger brother moved to Cleveland in 2006. Going to visit them is always very interesting. What neighborhood are you from?
I moved to my neighborhood (Midcity, yo) after the storm, so most of the buildings around here I only know as abandoned places and don't know what they were pre-K. BUT I am rather fond of the water lines on nearly every structure in the city. I actually will miss that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008 06:17:07 PM »

This is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buns
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008 07:19:16 PM »

Beautiful, this totally rocks!  I can't stop staring at it, it's a mesmerizing painting!

Thank you for sharing.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 07:56:19 PM »

My mom and younger brother moved to Cleveland in 2006. Going to visit them is always very interesting. What neighborhood are you from?
I moved to my neighborhood (Midcity, yo) after the storm, so most of the buildings around here I only know as abandoned places and don't know what they were pre-K. BUT I am rather fond of the water lines on nearly every structure in the city. I actually will miss that!

I'm actually from Metairie, over in the direction of the Wal-Mart on Vets.  I went to school at Dominican though, so I'm very familiar with the city.  There's still FEMA trailers in my neighborhood, but overall it looks ok.  A lot of my friends I went to school with didn't fare out so well.  Some of their families moved as far as Nevada...

It's so nice to see a fellow New Orleanian on craftster!  And it's completely weird that your fam moved to Ohio - I can't wait to get outta this place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
lenagogan
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008 10:08:43 PM »

woo 504luv Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is Olivia Palermo Going Back to Reality TV?
Make a Splash With 3 Gorgeous Poolside Outfits
Running in Style This Summer
Eliminate "Back Fat" With the Right Bra
How to Deal With Bra "Spillage"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...