A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Labels plus Business Card Tutorial  (Read 9572 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008 01:22:44 PM »

Ok, here's my label . . .

You can create your own label design in Word or any word processing program that allows you to format labels – no need for a publisher or graphics program. Save money & spend a little time on your computer. I downloaded fonts from dafont.com. Make sure your design is not wider than the label grid. I have Word so this tutorial is based off of that. Not everyone knows how to format labels, so I’m going step by step. This is a pretty long tutorial – sorry!

1. Open your Word program. Find your Labels file = should be under Tools – Letters & Mailings – Envelopes & Labels:

2. Click on Labels tab then Options button:

3. Click on Avery Standard for Label Products, select 8460 - any address label format w/3 columns should work (all you’re after is the label setup), then select OK:

4. It will take you back to the Envelopes & Labels menu. Then select New Documents:

& you will get a new blank page:

5. Go to the Tables menu & select Show Grid:                  

You will now have a grid pattern on your blank page:

6. You can now design your label. Start in the upper left grid & create something that fits within the gridlines. Think about how big you want your label to be (mine is 2” long x 5/8” wide). Use fonts from dafont.com &/or any clipart (use different fonts in different sizes to create an interesting design). Putting a frame around your design makes it professional looking & makes it easier to cut apart. COLORS DON’T COME OUT AS SHARP OR CLEAR AS BLACK INK – shucks!

7. Here is my old label:

ALL THE PICS ARE FONTS – NOT CLIPART!!
                                    Look at dafont.com – cool site!

I used the T-Shirt iron on transfer method for printing this & it involved lots of steps: printing backwards, iron on to ribbon, using wood burning tool to cut & seal edges. It works ok, but you can’t iron over the label (it’ll melt) & it can crack & peel when you are trying to turn your pieces right side out = not good. I CAN EXPLAIN THIS MORE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.

8. I recently created a new label & printing method:  

a. Get your self some of this - HeatnBond Lite Iron Adhesive (sheet of glue) to iron on to back of fabric. Any fabric/craft store should carry it. Cut an 8 ½” x 11 sheet:

b. Cut some light colored cotton fabric of your choice to 8 ½” x 11.

c. Follow the instructions & iron on fabric to adhesive.

d. Stick ironed on fabric paper in your printer & print. BE SURE TO TURN OFF “SHOW GRID LINES” IN THE TABLES MENU SO IT WON’T SHOW IN PRINTING.

e. You should get something that looks like this:  

f. Cut fabric to choice of size – I cut about ¼” from the frame:

g. You can leave as is & iron on for each use (then zig zag the edges for a nice look) or you can iron on to another piece of fabric & use as desired:

It does take some planning & time, BUT, you get exactly what you want & you save a lot of money.

THEN –-- after you design your label, take that & design your business card! (use any business card template where you got your tag template from (step 3) & buy card stock at any stationary store) –easy as that!!

I hope this is easy enough to understand. If any of this needs further explanation, pls let me know & you can always ask me questions.

Now that I’ve made a tutorial, I have a better appreciation for those who of you that have made one – it takes A LOT of time! I’m glad to do it tho, to give back to those of you who have given to me. I hope this inspires someone.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 11:27:39 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neeterg
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 02:40:44 PM »

Absolutely fantastic tute!!!! And so needed by me right away.  I'm making door prizes for one of our bowling tournaments and would like to put labels on/in them.  This is great!!! Thanks so very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 02:44:16 PM »

Thank-you so much for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fidgetorama
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 03:13:12 PM »

I was just searching for this the other day and wishing there was a tutorial somewhere.  Thanks so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 03:19:21 PM »

totally brilliant thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
panda
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 03:35:42 PM »

thank you for sharing the wonderful tutorial........

THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008 04:11:04 PM »

You are all welcome. I glad it's easy to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008 06:01:57 PM »

Those are really cute. I'm going to try it. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 08:18:03 PM »

This is a great tutorial- thank you so much for your time and effort!

I have never seen this adhesive before (honestly, haven't looked though....). It will work on any of your cotton fabrics? Cool idea.

Btw- I love the font you chose, too. Have to say, I really liked the girly on the first label too- very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008 09:36:02 PM »

I have never seen this adhesive before (honestly, haven't looked though....). It will work on any of your cotton fabrics? Cool idea.

vitaboheme, this stuff is great. Trust me, once you use it, you'll find a lot of uses for it. It comes in different sizes: 1/4" & 1/2". It works great on cotton fabrics. If your bags or purses look floppy after turning them right side out, put this in between, turn right side out & iron it, your bags/purses will look so much nicer.

I love the font you chose, too. Have to say, I really liked the girly on the first label too- very cute.

I like it at first because it suited my name, but I thought maybe it's too girly. I guess not huh?

Thanks for your kind words.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TryEverything
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008 11:31:32 PM »

Thanks very much for the tutorial...just comes at exactly the right time for me.  Do you know any online source for this heat & bond ? Our fabric stores here in South Africa is pathetic..don't carry stuff like this at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008 06:38:18 AM »

What a great tutorial! I'm always so tentative and slow when trying something new (if I even figure I can to try to Do It Myself at all) and it's so great to have someone walk me through it step by step....

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008 08:35:44 AM »

Do you know any online source for this heat & bond ? Our fabric stores here in South Africa is pathetic..don't carry stuff like this at all... Smiley

Thanks TryEverything. Look here: http://www.thermoweb.com/cpd-lite.html - not sure if they can ship to you or try www.ebay.com. Actually if you highlight & copy the name of the product & paste it in a search engine & type in "ship to South Africa" after it & see what comes up.

One thing that might work for you is - if you can get some spray on adhesive & use that. Basically, what you are trying to do is adhere the fabric to paper (so it can go thru your printer). It won't be iron on, but you'll at least be able to cut it out & sew it on.

I just thought of another idea - cut fabric to 8 1/2 x 11" & tape the fabric to paper. You are going to put tape on the fabric & wrap it to the paper on the back. Tape both the top & bottom the ENTIRE width & also left & right side the ENTIRE length. Tape well so it won't get stuck in your printer or the fabric won't shift while printing. Good Luck!!

Thanks McJulie-O.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

grniys
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008 09:29:09 AM »

Thank you so much. I feel like making a bunch of labels now. Great tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TryEverything
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008 10:56:12 AM »

Thanks McJulie-O, I'll give it a try ... sounds like a much better option than the iron on paper - I always manage to burn my fingers  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dree

My grandma's work from 1980 :>

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008 02:22:37 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love wins. 

(points to the peeps who know the origin of this claim. ;> )
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008 12:09:22 PM »

So technically you are printing directly on the fabric and the fusible web is on the back of the label?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
madeline
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008 01:28:59 PM »

Thank you for this tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008 01:30:54 PM »

Yes, Diesels_Mom you are printing on fabric & using the fusible web is just a way to get the fabric in your printer (there is a paper backing on the fusible web). I tried using freezer paper & it works well sometimes, but the fabric doesn't stay on the freezer paper & the images get smeared. Plus, having the fusible web on the back makes it easier to attach or if you want to just have A tag, iron on to muslin or other fabric & cut out then use as desired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

claudiaassencao
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008 01:41:46 AM »

Thank you so very much for sharing this idea!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love to knit, crochet, paint and some other stuff!! =)
http://claudiaassencao.blogspot.com
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008 03:33:58 PM »

Thanks very much for the tutorial...just comes at exactly the right time for me.  Do you know any online source for this heat & bond ? Our fabric stores here in South Africa is pathetic..don't carry stuff like this at all...
If you cant find a source with reasonable shipping let me know I have an extra sheet I havent printed yet. I made a sheet of labels already and i won't need to print  another sheet for a while, one sheets alot of items for me to make. I am sure one envelope to sa wont cost much...Mars
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008 08:23:59 AM »

Wow, that's very nice of you Diesels_Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008 12:40:45 PM »

Thank you so much for this tut!  I've been trying to figure out a simple enough tag to use/make and this does the trick.  I have made my labels with my printer, but used the printer fabric sheets and they're OK, but not great.  This has inspired me to try something new and the dafont.com website is great, too.  Thanks again!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008 08:15:01 AM »

You're welcome runnermom100863.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008 08:31:18 AM »

Great idea and great tute - thanks!

I have a question, though - can the labels go through the wash, or do they fade?  I bought some labels online and they fade in the wash, so I can't use them on the clothes I make, just on my bags.  I'd love to have an easy way of making washable lables!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtydarkdiva
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008 08:37:05 AM »

This is my question as well. I have also bought custom labels online, online to find they fade greatly and even fray a little after the very first wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beltanecrazycat

Hello Kitty ROCKS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009 09:19:15 PM »

how do you solve the problem of the ink running if it gets wet? I saw a post that a girl did for a quilt and she said that she used shoe sealer or something like that.  I've been wanting to do something like this, Thanks for the Tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009 06:36:53 AM »

Thank you so much for this tutorial... wish I'd seen it before I spent money on labels...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.co m
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy. com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
Sharada
Activist!

The Desire for Freedom Lives in Every Heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009 03:50:19 PM »

I love this tutorial!! I was wondering, though, what you did to keep the ink from smearing? I've used it to make labels, but every time they get a drop of water on them, or sweat, or anything, the ink smears horribly! How do you prevent that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shescrafty627
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009 04:40:21 PM »

Wow, this is amazing advice! Thank you so much for the step by step! I would have never thought of the t-shirt iron on!

Your labels and cards look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
popsicax
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009 10:01:35 AM »

I love this, do you use a regular printer to print it out??  Or do you use something special?  I just have a printer I got free for buying a pc.. so.. not sure if it will work or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009 06:36:39 AM »

First of all, thank you Little Me for the tutorial.  I did find it very useful!  I'd like to share my 2 cents after trying myself:
I used a sheet of thin interfacing and stuck it to the cotton with the hot iron, then printed it.  I was very pleased to see the printer took it very easily and printed crisp, clear labels.  Immediately, I cut one and hand washed it with not so cold water and a lot of soap (even rubbed the soap on the label).  A lot of ink went away, but 1-there was no bleeding, and 2-even faded the label was still readable.  So this is what I am going to do at the moment.  Oh, my printer is an inkjet.  I have the feeling a laser printer would get better results in respect to the washing/fading.
I hope this helps a little with the doubts.

ETA:   AAAAAARGH! MY AVATAR!
         XDDDDD
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 06:37:58 AM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009 09:49:08 AM »

Hi Ladies!

I'm sorry I haven't checked back, I didn't think this was going to get so many responses. Anyway, I really didn't do any research about how my labels would fair in the wash (oops!). Of course, I believe hand made things should be hand washed (a machine would be too rough). I just had 2 labels soaking in cold water for about 1/2 hour: 1 is the t-shirt transfer on ribbon & 1 black ink on muslin & would you know - none have smeared or run, I even rubbed on it & it's great. I used an inkjet printer (HP all in one) & everything looks great. I think the ironing process sets the ink & I did printed these months ago so it's had time to set, I suppose if you washed it right after printing, it would prob wash out or smear. I hope you do try this if you haven't already & get creative making your own. Thanks for the interest.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009 10:19:22 AM »

First of all, thank you Little Me for the tutorial. . . Immediately, I cut one and hand washed it with not so cold water and a lot of soap (even rubbed the soap on the label).  A lot of ink went away, but 1-there was no bleeding, and 2-even faded the label was still readable.

You're welcome soorawn. I believe if you iron it real well (front & back) after printing & not wash it immediately (let it sit for a little while) it would be ok. Like I said in the previous post, my labels have been soaking in water for an hour now & it's fine. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009 07:29:07 PM »

Just want to let you all know that I left my labels soaking in water since my 1st post this morning at 12:49pm & it is totally fine. Honestly, when I made them, I did not think of their durability - especially since I am using an inkjet printer (I got real lucky!). With all the concerns about smearing or washing out, I was starting to get concerned since I have sold a lot of stuff - I didn't want anyone to think that I do shoddy work. Thanks everyone for making me aware.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009 09:51:14 PM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Unremarried Widow by Artis Henderson
Neal Shusterman: What Are You Reading?
True-Crime Writer Carla Norton on Her Fiction Work
Jeanette Walls: What Are You Reading?
Author Explains Why We Should Rip Up Our Dating Wish Lists
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...