A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Labels plus Business Card Tutorial  (Read 9589 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008 01:22:44 PM »

Ok, here's my label . . .

You can create your own label design in Word or any word processing program that allows you to format labels – no need for a publisher or graphics program. Save money & spend a little time on your computer. I downloaded fonts from dafont.com. Make sure your design is not wider than the label grid. I have Word so this tutorial is based off of that. Not everyone knows how to format labels, so I’m going step by step. This is a pretty long tutorial – sorry!

1. Open your Word program. Find your Labels file = should be under Tools – Letters & Mailings – Envelopes & Labels:

2. Click on Labels tab then Options button:

3. Click on Avery Standard for Label Products, select 8460 - any address label format w/3 columns should work (all you’re after is the label setup), then select OK:

4. It will take you back to the Envelopes & Labels menu. Then select New Documents:

& you will get a new blank page:

5. Go to the Tables menu & select Show Grid:                  

You will now have a grid pattern on your blank page:

6. You can now design your label. Start in the upper left grid & create something that fits within the gridlines. Think about how big you want your label to be (mine is 2” long x 5/8” wide). Use fonts from dafont.com &/or any clipart (use different fonts in different sizes to create an interesting design). Putting a frame around your design makes it professional looking & makes it easier to cut apart. COLORS DON’T COME OUT AS SHARP OR CLEAR AS BLACK INK – shucks!

7. Here is my old label:

ALL THE PICS ARE FONTS – NOT CLIPART!!
                                    Look at dafont.com – cool site!

I used the T-Shirt iron on transfer method for printing this & it involved lots of steps: printing backwards, iron on to ribbon, using wood burning tool to cut & seal edges. It works ok, but you can’t iron over the label (it’ll melt) & it can crack & peel when you are trying to turn your pieces right side out = not good. I CAN EXPLAIN THIS MORE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.

8. I recently created a new label & printing method:  

a. Get your self some of this - HeatnBond Lite Iron Adhesive (sheet of glue) to iron on to back of fabric. Any fabric/craft store should carry it. Cut an 8 ½” x 11 sheet:

b. Cut some light colored cotton fabric of your choice to 8 ½” x 11.

c. Follow the instructions & iron on fabric to adhesive.

d. Stick ironed on fabric paper in your printer & print. BE SURE TO TURN OFF “SHOW GRID LINES” IN THE TABLES MENU SO IT WON’T SHOW IN PRINTING.

e. You should get something that looks like this:  

f. Cut fabric to choice of size – I cut about ¼” from the frame:

g. You can leave as is & iron on for each use (then zig zag the edges for a nice look) or you can iron on to another piece of fabric & use as desired:

It does take some planning & time, BUT, you get exactly what you want & you save a lot of money.

THEN –-- after you design your label, take that & design your business card! (use any business card template where you got your tag template from (step 3) & buy card stock at any stationary store) –easy as that!!

I hope this is easy enough to understand. If any of this needs further explanation, pls let me know & you can always ask me questions.

Now that I’ve made a tutorial, I have a better appreciation for those who of you that have made one – it takes A LOT of time! I’m glad to do it tho, to give back to those of you who have given to me. I hope this inspires someone.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 11:27:39 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neeterg
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 02:40:44 PM »

Absolutely fantastic tute!!!! And so needed by me right away.  I'm making door prizes for one of our bowling tournaments and would like to put labels on/in them.  This is great!!! Thanks so very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 02:44:16 PM »

Thank-you so much for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fidgetorama
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 03:13:12 PM »

I was just searching for this the other day and wishing there was a tutorial somewhere.  Thanks so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 03:19:21 PM »

totally brilliant thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
panda
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 03:35:42 PM »

thank you for sharing the wonderful tutorial........

THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008 04:11:04 PM »

You are all welcome. I glad it's easy to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008 06:01:57 PM »

Those are really cute. I'm going to try it. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 08:18:03 PM »

This is a great tutorial- thank you so much for your time and effort!

I have never seen this adhesive before (honestly, haven't looked though....). It will work on any of your cotton fabrics? Cool idea.

Btw- I love the font you chose, too. Have to say, I really liked the girly on the first label too- very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008 09:36:02 PM »

I have never seen this adhesive before (honestly, haven't looked though....). It will work on any of your cotton fabrics? Cool idea.

vitaboheme, this stuff is great. Trust me, once you use it, you'll find a lot of uses for it. It comes in different sizes: 1/4" & 1/2". It works great on cotton fabrics. If your bags or purses look floppy after turning them right side out, put this in between, turn right side out & iron it, your bags/purses will look so much nicer.

I love the font you chose, too. Have to say, I really liked the girly on the first label too- very cute.

I like it at first because it suited my name, but I thought maybe it's too girly. I guess not huh?

Thanks for your kind words.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Gallery Image Part 2/2
How to Make an Unbelievable Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Dandelion Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Cat Photograph.
How to Create a Fairy Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...