A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron on Vinyl?  (Read 1377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diagonalman
I am man. Watch me Sew.

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2005 08:04:29 AM »

Has anyone used this Iron on Vinyl product like the one featured on Sarah1980's web site?

http://www.sarah1980.com/vinyl.htm

Is it clear? Will it give a somewhat water resistant coating to, say cotton, for the outside of a messenger bag? Any other suggestions? I'm sure ballistic canvas is expensive and difficult to work with.

Does anyone have other sites where I can get plastic strap adjusters, O- and D-rings, and plastic messenger type buckles? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiagonalMan
Sewist/Seamster since January 2005!

Please check out my new Holiday Cards at Etsy!

Magnolia Handbags & Accessories
BlueKiwiCat

Nice to meet you, now run for your life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005 11:44:37 PM »

I've used it before.

There are two types of that vinyl from Therm O Web...a matte finish and a glossy lustre finish.  I've only seen and used the matte finish and had mixed feelings about it.  The matte is clear but is not shiny (glossy) like typical vinyls.

It's water proof, to a point.  You could go out in the rain or wipe it down with a damp rag but I'd not throw it in a washing machine.

It's in a package and is similar to shelf lining paper.  You peel it from a paper backing and stick it to the fabric.  Then you put the paper over the vinyl/fabric and iron away!  Just be careful and pull the vinyl away from the paper slowly and evenly or else you will get these white 'dents' in the vinyl that are difficult to iron out.

You will also have to use an alternative to pinning the material together as the pins will leave unslightly holes in the vinyl.  I've used liquid stitch or used pins and hid the mess with bias tape.  Wink  I've had no problems with sewing the vinyl on my machine.  I've heard stories of the vinyl getting stuck as your sewing:  some people use a 'walking' foot, but I'm cheap, I just keep a small spray bottle of water by my machine and lightly spray the vinyl so it does not stick (being very careful not to saturate the area and to avoid any working parts or electrical outlets in the area!)

As for materials, I get them all at either JoAnn's or Wal-Mart...everything to make a messenger bag.  Good luck I hope this helped!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything less than extraordinary is a waste of my time! (Dream for an Insomniac)
diagonalman
I am man. Watch me Sew.

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005 06:37:36 AM »

That's great thanks! I love learning new techniques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiagonalMan
Sewist/Seamster since January 2005!

Please check out my new Holiday Cards at Etsy!

Magnolia Handbags & Accessories
kattghoti
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005 07:03:15 AM »

Wow, diagonalman!  From your sig I see you've been sewing less than a month and already want to work with Vinyl?  That's awesome!

You can also buy the vinyl by the yard at Joann stores and other places I'm sure.  You'll certainly find all the notions you'll need in stores as well, unless they are like mine and can never get the 1 1/4" silver D-rings in stock *grumble grumble*

Have fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

house.shoe.mama
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005 12:50:45 PM »

I'm not completely sure what you mean by plastic messenger style buckle.  I've been using some plastic buckles and have paid outrageous prices at joanne and the other chain fabric stores.  I haven't ordered yet, but found a couple of places online that are way cheaper and may carry the different rings as well.  The only one I can actually remember is called the rainshed and carries outdoor fabric, notions and hardward.  Hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005 01:05:14 PM »

I loooove Therm O Web's iron on vinyl! I make magazine totes using this vinyl ironed on paper. I haven't had any problems sewing them, I don't even spray the vinyl, it just works wonderfully. I personally think the glossy finish is more sturdy than the matte, but I've had to use matte lately since my Joann's doesn't have glossy and it's still held up.

My mom used iron on vinyl for a shower curtain years ago, and it kinda held up in the washing machine but not as well as she woudl have liked. So I don't recommend the washing machine, but it would be good weatherproofing for the outside of a purse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
How to Use the Refine Edge in Photoshop
How to Use the Liquify Tool in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...