A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Night night from Running Springs, California! Picture heavy...  (Read 4899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysnewproject
« on: March 03, 2008 07:29:22 AM »

Running Springs, California is known for wildfires! Yay! Oh wait that sucked. October 2007 our town was torn up by wildfires/forest fires (If anyone wants to laugh: when being evacuated I didn't grab photos, yearbooks, etc. I grabbed my sewing machine. It was new! It's pretty!). But being the eternal optimist instead of focusing on fire and burn I thought I'd focus the question "Wait why do you live up there again?"

Little facts about R.S.:
-Apparently 5000ish people live up here (but I could swear more than half of those are actually 2nd home owners...)
-We are safely above the smog at 6,129ish feet.
-We get snow
-We're about 20 minutes from Redlands, the "big town" or an hour and change from Los Angeles.
-The founders of University Redlands set up this town as a second home/leisure community.
-6 miles away from the former Santa's Village.
-All the houses here are off. From circular houses, to houses being held up by trees, the first house you see when you enter town is a castle (I wish I had a picture of that) with a little dragon under it, there are a few observatory looking houses...

Personal rules (creativity comes from rules) :
-No fire mentions
-No red, yellow, black, orange, or gray allowed (fire colors).

Here's the view from my bedroom that inspired this:

(sorry it's not at the right angle. Also normally it's a lot prettier. I just took the picture at the wrong time of day. It's usually sky blue and brown in the morning).

This was a picture from Rimoftheworld.net. I saw it and it was too pretty!
Here's what I made:

Twin sized quilt.  I wanted it to look like my view in the morning. Bright colors and the calming brown of the trees. I used a teal bandana like material which I thought represented California (cowboys, trendy, small town...) and the floral made me think of a second home how people try to be classy but it's still cozy. I thought it looks like blue sky cut by brown tree branches.
The back:

Cozy flannel with breakfast food. Everyone loves comfy breakfast food. I end up eating breakfast food all day because of the elevation.
Then:

Santa's Village reference. Giant mushrooms in weird colors and yet snow on the ground....

I tried to copy that sunset.

Quail inspired... We have a covey of quail that likes to walk around my neighborhood. They're so cute!

Whole bed at a glance. You know how I said houses up here are weird? The staircase at our house looks like a Go-go dancer's cage. My room is right on the other side. Oh! And the tinier teddy bear (the gray one) is from Santa's Village. Had him since I was 2.
And the dinky sewing machine that did it:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am squeezing the Disney magic right now.
mystico_tala
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 08:02:37 AM »

I love that it is tree inspired.  Very neat!  And the fabric on the pillow is beautiful, it really matches that picture that you found.  And kudos for doing it all on that sewing machine, lol.  It's adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
starlawill
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 08:20:07 AM »

great job! you definitely captured the feeling out of your window with the quilt. you can really see that in the picture with the mushroom pillow, with the window in the background. awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 12:22:47 PM »

Cute quilt.  Glad to see someone didn't lose it all during the fires:) 

Sorcha
(your neighbor in Hesperia) Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
alwaysnewproject
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 07:31:30 PM »

I love that it is tree inspired.  Very neat!  And the fabric on the pillow is beautiful, it really matches that picture that you found.  And kudos for doing it all on that sewing machine, lol.  It's adorable.
The fabric for all the pillows I found at a local fabric shop. I'd never seen fabric like the type I used for the sunset pillow and was like "I NEED THIS!" Had no idea what I was going to use it for, but then this came up and it worked so perfectly. And I love/hate my little sewing machine. It's super cute and small which in a cabin is good.

Thank you guys for all the comments. I was totally nervous on posting this. What's cool about my town is everyone has this pine/clear sky view that is really pretty. Like the view out of my window: normal or way better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am squeezing the Disney magic right now.
myers_kc
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 09:52:27 PM »

Awesome job!! You mushroom pillow brings back all my fond memories of Santa's village, I have so many pictures of myself sitting on top of those mushrooms. I only wish my kids' had a chance to experience Santa's Village before it closed Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grenouille78
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008 11:12:59 AM »

I wish I had a view like that. Out my bedroom window I see a parking lot!! The quilt is great -- love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grammar_gremlin
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 02:34:35 PM »

I'm too late to vote, but I think your work is beautiful.  You really captured the feel of a beautiful place that you obviously love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to buy an Engagement Ring - Part 2
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 4
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 3
Audio Technica AT2020 Microphone Review
Platinum Advice - How to Assess the Value of Your Ring
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...