A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,280
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do eBay stores work?  (Read 2137 times)
Tags for this thread: ebay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008 06:26:14 AM »

I've always done eBay on the auction side, and I don't really get the stores. Do people find the store items? It seems they always show up at the bottom of the page.

Does anyone have experience having an eBay store? Do you sell things through it? Does it work for you?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
BeadSpinner
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 09:35:24 AM »

Things are going straight to h*ll on eBay.

Fees have gone way up and the "search" is broken so nobody can find your stuff.

GreedBay has ads that direct Buyers to other, off-eBay sites.

Having a FeePay store used to be a pretty good deal for me, but with the new final value fees, I have been considering closing mine.

It is a nightmare... there are other problems as well.

Check out the community discussion boards for more info - there is a lot of great info there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleangelsjewelry
littleangelsjewelry.etsy.com

littleangelsjewelry.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008 07:56:50 AM »

Don't use FEE BAY!!
Opps I mean EBAY.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my handmade items at
www.littleangelsjewelry.etsy.com
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008 08:29:19 AM »

I have an eBay store, albeit I do not sell crafty stuff through it.

I have had great success selling the items I DO sell there, being mostly stylish plus size clothing.  People DO know about eBay stores, and they DO know how to go and search properly in them despite the search being 'broken' so that it does not bring up store listings in the regular search of the site.

The fees have gone up for the store FVFs, but I still am profitable when selling items from my store despite the fees as the store rental per month is still at $15 or a little less.

Again, I am not selling crafty stuff, so my results are atypical considering what I am selling.  Those selling crafty stuff may come along here and give their take on this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Darcicles
Darcicles

Silly me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008 06:29:49 PM »

I also sell on ebay. If you have the time to spend on a store it actually IS WORTH DOING! Like everything else, you have to work for it. I joined a few ebay groups, and I have really come a long way in doing so. I have learned alot about how to promote your store, how to take better pictures, wording, everything!

I don't use turbolister. I find it far too generic for my personality. I create all my own HTML, and save portions in notepad for future use. I have several photobucket acounts, because I refuse to pay for a premium account...lol.

Ebay is NOT easy money. You really have to work at it. To really make it work for you, you must spend at LEAST 30 hours a week on it. You have to do your research. Spent time going through listings, seeing what other similar items are selling and in what price ranges they finally sell for. The fees have come DOWN as of late, because of all the complaints from the smaller stores, such as myself.

Having a store has both pros and cons. The biggest pro for me is, lower auction listing fees, 6 cent monthly fees on in store items, and repeat customers that can contact me at any time. I have an in store listing right now with no DIRECT sales, but friends of friends, customers from craft shows, and people I just randomly hand out the link to have contacted me directly for orders. That ALONE is worth me paying the 6 cents every month for the listing.

I sell alot of beads and findings, but I also sell my crafts, and nearly anything else I can get my hands on. I tend to go to alot of auctions, flea markets, and yard sales, and sometimes I find collectibles and other items that the people selling them do not understand their value. Jewelry has a HUGE market, but not always on ebay. Handcrafted jewelry tends not to do well, just because there is so much out there. Chances are, the people looking for jewelry on ebay are NOT looking for handcrafted. They are looking for that bargain jeweler's piece, since they probably already know someone who makes it. You have to have an extremely unique piece if you want it to sell there. Timing is everything. I found that my extremely unique designs sell better at only certain times of the year, and at no other time.

As far as the links to so called "outside" ebay stores, those stores are actually other ebay afilliated facilities. If you look at the fine print, you will see that half.com belongs to ebay, as well as a few others, which is why they allow those "outside" links in the first place.

While I admit that my store has been neglected as of late, I still get repeat customers, and many inquiries about other items I may have because of it. It STILL supports itself, and I have not taken a DIME out of my pocket to pay for it in well over 3 years, even if I haven't done a new listing in months! If you want to make a living at it, I suggest doing the research and all the legwork that goes with it to be successful. You actually CAN make a living on ebay, but just like any other job, it takes time. If you aren't willing to put in the time, then ebay will not be right for you in the first place.

Do ebay stores work? They do if you know how to make it work for you!

Dar

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008 03:29:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackmax
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008 09:40:15 PM »

I live in South Africa and its important for me to sell on a site that meets my requirements. I sometimes get lost in Ebay because there are thousands of listings and mis-listings cluttering up the website. There are great alternatives to be had other than Ebay. There are also inexpensive sites that offer great features that allow you to concentrate on the most important aspect of an on line business which is to SELL. Take a look at www.silkfair.com/ . There are 0 listing costs. You set up your shop for free. It has great features such as Video advertising, easy listing features, innovative search by color search engines and lots more. It also features a unique feedback system that ensures fair feedback, rather than the "gun at your head" feedback on other more familiar sites. Silkfair looks refreshing and innovative. It addresses a lot of the problems Ive seen pointed out on posts in this forum. I urge you to take a look and give it a try. You've got nothing to lose as its all for free and simple to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divaskull

Zuhl and Elphaba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008 02:46:32 PM »

I've got an Ebay store, too, and thought I'd drop in my two cents.
I actually do most of my selling out of that store (vs. Etsy, I mean), although they definitely take their cut.  I've also had a number of wholesale and bulk-ish clients find me through there.
The listing can get expensive if you have a lot of listings, and having a lot of listings is I think what gets me the most visitors, if that makes sense.  The downside is that Ebay customers tend to be pretty cheap, and impatient (I know this to be true, as I used to be a rather cheap and impatient Ebay consumer myself!), and sometimes don't really "get" the concept of handmade items. 
But you can go month to month with them, so it might be worth giving it a whirl for a bit... I'd suggest trying it for three months, and I think it's only about $15 plus the listing fees, so it's pretty reasonable.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roboroku
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008 03:43:25 PM »

I have an ebay store, and I've sold the same amount of stuff on ebay as etsy, but in far less time.
What I like about ebay is that ebay customers are very trained to leave feedback.  i like positive feedback.  sadly, people don't always leave feeback on etsy.  i have been contacted on etsy more for donations though.  i would do both if you can afford it.  the trick on etsy is you have to list frequently.  i am not good at this, i like to put up what i have when i have it, which is why i have my own site.
FWIW i have my own site, use etsy & ebay.  you can always use google adwords to gain traffic to which ever store you choose to go with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.roboroku.com - that's me!<br>
www.etsy.roboroku.com - that's me, too!
xixspazxix

Delicious Recons!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008 10:08:12 PM »

I have an etsy account but NOTHING has sold and traffic has stopped. Ebay, on the  other hand, seems more user-friendly and inviting to people who would otherwise never see my crafts. I don't own a store because I just started out and I'm dipping my feet in the water, and the 15 dollar fee seems pretty daunting at the moment. I hope it works out!
I'm trying to get more traffic through social sites like facebook/myspace- it does get people to click, and that's the first step in any sale!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008 03:27:04 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008 01:56:11 PM »

Wow!
I had not been back to visit my post in a while and I just did and saw all the really helpful input. Thank you very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Neon Fashion Trend Blowing Up
Street Chic: Rock Chicks
Nicole Richie Perfects NYC Cool in Fringe, Fur, and Leather
See How Vanessa Hudgens Does Casual Polish at the DVF Loves Roxy Event
Dukes Of Melrose Fashion Picks For Last "Meal"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...