A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bags I've made  (Read 1316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 02, 2008 05:20:21 PM »

The first is a backpack I made for my daughter for her first day of kindergarten.  It is made from a recycled pair of jeans, with a simple muslin lining.  There is a flap on the front, and under that, the backpack closes with a single snap.  On the front, just under the flap is a smaller pocket which is made from denim and lined with the scrap of fabric leftover after making her a pair of shorts.  On the side it has a clear vinyl "star pocket" just like Dora's mochila (backpack).  This was intended to be a cell phone pocket, but I discovered that at her school they are not even allowed to have phones on the premises *sigh*.  The bag was intended to be a hybrid messenger bag (I am STILL in love with messenger bags) but with backpack straps, wider than the standard so that I wouldn't need to mess with padding but they would still be comfortable.  The bottom part of the straps are 2 white plastic rings and a strip of muslin that gets threaded through and is held tight with tension.

The next item is a bag I made to carry all my practice poi around in, so that I could have them available but out of the way.  This was made by recycling a pair of BDU pants that no longer fit and making them into a messenger bag with carrying strap also from the same pants.

The next item was born because my husband is a gamer and had killed the backpack he was always using to bring his gaming notes, and other assorted items to work with him to do in his downtime (we work in a call center).  Well, he had mentioned wanting a bag that was bigger with more pockets and wider, longer straps.  We got home and I immediately set to work drafting a pattern for this bag, by measuring his old one and increasing it exponentially.  The outside of this bag came from a pair of fatass jeans a friend of ours outgrew, and the lining was
leftover from making myself a set of flag poi.  I made the straps wider, and instead of using those plastic slider adjuster things, I just made the straps as long as he wanted and sewed them together.

The final bag is a purse/messenger bag I made for myself.  I needed a bag with plenty of pockets, but also one that would carry my gaming notes (I am a gamer myself), my dice, my keys, and whatever little bits I need to carry for my almost 6 year old daughter.  Again, the outer is denim (I JUST LOVE recycled denim.
It is so sturdy and comfy) and the inner was this fabric that I bought a yard of and never used because I loved the print and couldn't figure out anything to do with it so I could see the print.  On the inside, 2 of the pockets are actually the back pocket and the fabric behind the back pocket of a pair of jeans of my daughters that she outgrew.

Does anyone know where I would post mei tais?  As in the asian style baby carriers? I make those too...also from denim outers....Yes...I'm a bag-whore.  I will openly admit it.

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

doing it all, doing it badly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008 06:04:41 PM »

Very nice!  I like the last bag most.
Mei tais---maybe in the clothing section?  I think I saw a post on those in that board.

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008 08:01:52 PM »

Thanks....I love designing new bags...I will check out the clothing section...

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
VX Method QuikTip Video #1
How to dance Disco
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...